Bellazon

Ronaldo Lima
Thumbnail

THE HEART SAYS TO PLAY

A week after the operation to the knee, Ronaldo spoke during the press conference. The heart of the player says to return to play, but he must wait a long rehabilitation and understand how his physique will react.

MILAN – The press conference organized to hear Ronaldo, before he left the Pitie-Salpetrieren clinic of Paris, was full of topics, but at the same time we understood how the ‘Fenomeno’ is feeling. Ronie is still hope to return to play, but before everything else he must only and exclusively think about the rehabilitation. It will not be easy, but probably shorter than the first serious injury, that of eight years ago.

Ronaldo, even though he lives through this terrible moment, he still seems incredulous:

“Everything is still very recent, it just happened and no one expected this incident. It was a very tough blow, very tough mentally. I cannot still believe that it really happened.” One of the first questions was directed towards his future and his return to the football world. “For the return I must still think. I still don’t know if I will continue to play. Now I only think about recovering in the best possible way. I know that it will be very tough again, but I hope to succeed.”

The doubt whether Ronie still wants to return to play or no is soon revealed. Even here the reply is very clear: “I have a lot of desire to return to play. My heart says to continue playing, but I must see how my physique responds. Lately it is giving important signals: it is very tired and has suffered a lot. If at the end of the recovery path I will be very well, then I will be back on the pitch, otherwise I will take the very tough decision to quit."

On one thing the number 9 seems optimistic: “I don’t know exactly how long this rehabilitation period will last, but surely it will be take less time than the previous one, that of eight years ago. I will do my best to win this battle against my physique.” Ronaldo does not have a high morale, but despite this he has not lost the lucidity not even when some questions were more dangerous than others, like when they asked him if he thinks that if something specific has caused the injury: "I don't think about the causes. It happened and that's it. I have many other things to think about now. I don’t know what to say about Milan, my contract expires in June. Milan is a home for me, I have a family there that waits for me. What annoys me is how it went…Right now it’s difficult to talk about a contract.”

Before ending the touching press conference, Ronaldo wanted to thank those who gave him a lot of affection in these last days: "I thank all of my team-mates who were close to me, who have suffered with me, who sent me many messages. I also thank the President and the entire club. The people who, even though I don’t know them, made me understand that around me there is a lot of affection. I also thank my family. In these moments I can only say thanks, because without this type of support I don’t know if I would have managed.”

Injured Ronaldo hopes to play on

Brazilian striker Ronaldo said he has not given up hope of playing again despite a serious knee injury.

The 31-year-old ruptured a tendon while playing for AC Milan and will be out for at least nine months.

"I haven't decided yet what I should do but I'm ready for anything," he said after undergoing surgery in Paris.

"I have the will to carry on playing, this is what my heart is telling me to do. But my body is giving me signs that it is tiring and needs rest."

Ronaldo, the three-times World Player of the Year, has suffered two serious knee injuries in the past and this latest setback led to fears that his playing career could be over.

"I know that physically and mentally it will be very hard," said Ronaldo of his rehabilitation.

"If at the end of the day, I have recovered and can play again, fine. If not, it will be a very hard decision to make but it will have to be the decision."

Eric Rolland, the surgeon who operated on Ronaldo, said the striker would "not be able to run before up to five months and not be able to train before nine months."

He added: "Anything can happen in the next three months because surgery is not an exact science. It will all depend on the rehabilitation.

"The recovery will not depend on Ronaldo for the first six months. It will all depend on him afterwards. Psychologically, he is a remarkable man."

Ronaldo sustained two serious injuries to his right knee while playing for Inter Milan in 1999 and 2000.

However, he recovered to help Brazil win the 2002 World Cup, scoring both goals in their 2-0 win over Germany in the final.

He went on to play for Real Madrid before joining AC Milan in January 2007.

AC Milan striker Ronaldo: I couldn't stop crying

AC Milan striker Ronaldo admits his playing future is up-in-the-air as he begins his recovery from knee surgery.

"At the start I couldn't stop crying, as there was an incredible pain," he said after breaking down against Livorno almost a fortnight ago.

"I felt a very strong crack and immediately my mind raced over images I had already seen. In that moment I thought the right thing to do was give up after this had happened to me again."

It was the third time he has severely damaged knee tendons, although in the past it had always been the right knee.

"At the time I thought I'd try to recover so I could live a normal life and rest, because I have been playing for many years," he told Sky Italia television.

"But in those moments of sadness so many things go through your mind. I was defeated, on the floor, but slowly there is the chance to come back and I will fight until the bitter end for that possibility."

An element of doubt remains around Il Fenomeno's chances of returning to the sport at the highest level at the age of 31.

"This isn't the right time to think about it, because everything is still so fresh and recent. I have to focus on my recovery now, which will be very long and difficult.

"Then at the end, if I really am fit again, truly do not feel pain and have the confidence to step on to the pitch, I will certainly return to the playing field."

Galliani keeps AC Milan door open to Ronaldo

AC Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani won't rule out a new contract for crocked striker Ronaldo.

He said: "I am not a doctor but I hope, as a fan before being CEO of Milan, that he comes back. We want Ronaldo to be well and we are close to him with everything in our heart.

"But now we want to leave him to heal and we will have a chance in the future to speak about renewing his contract."

Ronaldo Hints At Milan Exit

Speaking frankly about his future, Ronaldo has hinted that if he does return, it could well not be with Milan.

El Fenomeno's current contract with Milan runs out in the summer, and while Adriano Galliani has shown a willingness to consider offering him a new one, any progress on that will only be made after monitoring the Brazilian's progress.

As such, Milan are unlikely to offer him a new deal for a few months yet, meaning that he is more likely than not to be out of contract come July 1.

Rather surprisingly, Ronaldo has himself admitted that while Milan remain in pole position for the moment, he could well look elsewhere to make his comeback.

“We’ll see," he said. "If I manage to recover at my best, then Milan are in pole position considering the way they have treated me and how much I am loved here.

"The human rapport I have with club and teammates is remarkable.

“But we will have to wait and see. It is my dream to play for Flamengo, who were my team when I was a young boy, but it all depends on how I recover."

The most clear indication was dropped when he said he would make the final decision once he was back training.

"The important thing is to get back on the playing field, then I will decide where,” he concluded.

AC Milan's injured Ronaldo admits Flamengo hope

Injured AC Milan striker Ronaldo admits he still has ambitions of playing for Flamengo as he recovers from knee surgery.

He said: "We will see if I can make a full recovery. The great AC Milan is in pole position for how they've dealt with me, as I have an excellent relationship with the club and my teammates. So we will see.

"It is my dream to play for Flamengo, which was my junior team but it depends on my recovery. It's first important to return to play and then decide where."

Ronaldo focused on physiotherapy

PARIS — Three-time former world footballer of the year Ronaldo has shelved thoughts about playing again and is focused on the lengthy and testing physiotherapy sessions needed to recuperate his injured left knee.

The 31-year-old AC Milan striker underwent surgery at the Pitie-Salpetriere hospital in Paris last week on the tendon ruptured while playing for his club against Livorno in Serie A action.

It was the latest in a series of knee injuries that have affected his glittering career, which has seen him established as top World Cup goal scorer.

“My heart tells me to play again but my body is sending me signs of fatigue and suffering,” said Ronaldo, who was due to be released from hospital on Friday but will remain in Paris for two further weeks before returning to Milan.

“It has been a real knock-out blow, both physically and mentally,” he admitted speaking in Portuguese and Italian, with Milan sports director Leonardo translating.

“I still don’t know how it happened. I still mustn’t think about playing again. I must focus for the moment on undergoing the best physio possible. This will be very tough.

“If I’m okay at the end of that, then of course I’ll play again. If there’s another ending, it will be a difficult and sad decision. I know exactly the bridges I have to cross. I have experience of recuperating from injury.”

According to Professor Yves Catonne, head of orthopedic and sports surgery at the Pitie-Salpetriere hospital, Ronaldo will likely have to wait five to six months before jogging and eight months before touching a ball again.

The surgeon who carried out the operation, Professor Eric Rolland, spelt out in detail what lies ahead for Ronaldo on the long road to full fitness.

“He’s going to have to keep the protection on his right leg in place and walk with crutches for at least a month and a half to ensure the scar tissue is solid.

“He’ll be able to put his foot on the ground but he’ll have to be careful not to make a sudden movement.

“After that we can look at fitting something more flexible if his knee allows it. In terms of being able to run he won’t be able to do that for four and a half to five months.”

Ronaldo, the all-time leading scorer in World Cup finals with 15 goals, ruptured his left knee tendon playing for Milan in a 1-1 Serie A draw against Livorno on February 13.

“Anything can happen in the next three months because surgery is not an exact science. It will all depend on the rehabilitation,” Rolland said.

“We’ll have a first check-up in three months and another in six months. From a medical point of view, we’ll stay cautious for six months,” he added.

“The recovery will not depend on Ronaldo for the first six months. It will all depend on him afterwards. Psychologically, he is a remarkable man.”

Ronaldo sustained two serious injuries to his right knee while playing for Inter Milan in 1999 and 2000 but recovered to help Brazil win the 2002 World Cup, scoring both goals in their 2-0 win over Germany in the final.

He went on to play for Real Madrid before joining AC Milan in Jan. 2007.

He hardly featured this season because of a series of injuries and the Champions League holders have yet to commit to a new contract.

“The club will always be by his side,” Leonardo said. Ronaldo played down the issue, saying: “I don’t think it’s the right time to talk about a new contract.”

Ronaldo Has Nothing To Prove – Leonardo

Milan director Leonardo has eased the pressure on Ronaldo to recover from his horrific injury by telling him that he has nothing to prove to anyone.

El Fenomeno ruptured a tendon in his knee during the match with Livorno two weeks ago, putting his career in huge doubt.

The rehabilitation process will be a very long one, and Leonardo admits that these have been difficult times for Ronaldo since he suffered the injury.

"They were difficult and tense days,” Leonardo told Sky Italia.

“For him this is certainly a time of great reflection, however, Ronaldo is positive, is strong, and inside he still has many things that he must get on board.”

Ronaldo will not return to action for at least nine months, although many people believe he may never return to the field.

"I think that it depends a lot on what happens in the coming months of rehabilitation,” Leonardo explained.

“However it must be pointed out that Ronaldo does not have to prove anything.” The 31-year-old will undoubtedly go down as one of the best strikers in the history of the game.

Ronaldo Prepared For Worst

AC Milan striker Ronaldo admits he must be prepared for the worst after suffering a serious knee injury two weeks ago.

The 31-year-old ruptured tendons in his left knee against Livorno and knows he must face up to the fact he may never play competitive football again.

"I have to be prepared for the possibility of retiring," Ronaldo told Brazilian television show Fantastico.

"I know it won't be easy. It will be a very tough recovery and something might happen during the recovery period which means I cannot play again.

"But I will leave that possibility aside until the end of the rehabilitation. If then my knee still hurts every day, even after it has mended, maybe it would be time to say goodbye to football.

"I have to make a good recovery so I can ride a bike with my son and run with him without pain."

The World Cup winner sustained a similar injury in his other knee in 1999 and was out for more than a year.

"As soon as I did the injury I wondered why it was happening to me again, what had I done to deserve it," he added.

Brazilian giants Flamengo have expressed their desire to sign Ronaldo as soon as he comes back from the injury, but the striker is reluctant to discuss the possibility because of the uncertainty currently shrouding his future.

"It is not the best moment to talk about Flamengo or Milan or any other club," he said.

"Logically, no club wants a 31-year-old player who has had two operations, suffered terrible injuries to his knees and is doubtful to play again.

"However, at the same time, I don't need any charity by any club. I just thank God for my history in football."