Bellazon

Ronaldo Lima
Thumbnail

Pato's message to Ronaldo

Alexandre Pato shows his support for Ronaldo and hopes he can recover in time to face Arsenal next week.

“Ronaldo is Il Fenomeno, all of the world is with him right now,” said the Milan striker after his teammate’s horrific injury.

The former Real Madrid and Inter star will be out of action for at least nine months after snapping the tendon in his left knee during the 1-1 draw with Livorno.

Pato missed that game due to a sprained ankle, but hopes to be back on the field for the Champions League showdown in London.

“I want to return as soon as possible and am doing everything the fitness coaches tell me to. The ankle is doing much better.”

Kaka and Clarence Seedorf were also injured, but both are expected to feature in Saturday’s Serie A match with Parma.

Carlo Ancelotti: “We remain very sorry for what happened to Ronaldo, even though following the operation that went well, we start seeing a bit of positive. However, we remain sorry, it's a bad injury. Ronaldo was not in the best condition, but if we must make the list of players who were not in the best condition, there were also Inzaghi, Serginho and others. One thing is to be in good condition, another is to be available to play. Ronaldo was available to play. If anyone talks about players I lacked any respect to, I don't know what they are referring to. I think about it, but I continue to not understand about whom or what he is talking about. What interests me is just my rapport with Ronaldo, not written things with little attention. Following the injury, Ronaldo was very affectionate with all of us, he was almost encouraging us, that’s what matters. It’s an injury which hit all of us, not only those of Milan, but the entire football world. He has shown great sensibility and is respected by everyone. If Ronaldo’s career is over or not, no one can say. Neither I nor Seedorf can know that. Only Ronaldo can, he’s the one who knows what he’s facing. It all depends from his will. I wish him that he finds the will, he's still in time to make important things. Now it all depends from him, if he has overcome the first injury he can also overtake the second one. Ronaldo must face an important rehabilitation knowing that he’s 31 years old and that he can still play for two or three years, he must know all of this and if he wants to reach it he can succeed. He knows that he cannot play until 40 years of age, both because he’s not Maldini and also because he’s an attacker. Milan will do everything to make sure that Ronaldo gets his will back to be a great champion".

Ronaldo knee operation 'went well'

(CNN) -- The operation on Ronaldo's injured left knee "went well" but the Brazilian striker faces a lengthy rehabilitation as he bids to save his football career.

Ronaldo had surgery in Paris on Thursday, the two-hour operation perfomed by Dr. Eric Rolland with Dr. Gerard Saillant, who carried out a similar repair to his right knee in 2000, in attendance.

"The operation went well," said Saillant. "The intervention was of the same type as the one in 2000. The healing period should last nine months," he said in sports paper L'Equipe.

Ronaldo was injured playing for AC Milan in a 1-1 draw with Liverno on Wednesday night and teammate Clarence Seedorf gave CNN a graphic description of the incident.

"It was like a film I already saw," said the Dutch star who was on the pitch when Ronaldo suffered his previous serious injury.

"I saw his reaction, I was frozen by the reality, a bad, bad thing. My heart went out to him because it was his second injury. I hope he has the will to come back," added Seedorf.

Ater the two-hour operation at Pitie-Salpetriere hospital, the three-time FIFA World Player of the Year is likely to need about 10 days of physical therapy, L'Equipe said.

Ronaldo, 31, has battled serious injuries throughout his career, and has played sparingly since joining Milan from Real Madrid in January 2007.

Wednesday's match was only his fifth in Serie A this season after injuring his thigh during preseason training on July 31. He returned in November, but has been in and out of the team due to a series of recurring problems.

Seedorf admits Ronaldo doubts

Clarence Seedorf has shattered the air of optimism surrounding Ronaldo’s recovery by admitting that he fears for his Milan teammate’s career.

Seedorf accompanied El Fenomeno to hospital after he severed a tendon in his knee while playing Livorno on Wednesday evening.

The Dutch midfielder is a close friend of Ronaldo’s, but he believes that the regularity of the 31-year-old’s injury problems could be an issue.

“It’s the third time that it has happened to him,” he told BBC Radio Five Live. “That’s why I’m thinking that it might be the end.

“I hope that he makes the right decision at the right time. We’ll see what happens over the next six months, but for now he needs to focus on rehabilitation.”

Seedorf was obviously moved by the events at San Siro and sounded pained as he recalled Ronaldo’s fall.

“Nobody wants to watch moments like that,” he said. “My heart stopped beating because it was like watching a repeat of the injury he suffered while playing for Inter against Lazio – his reaction was the same.

“He’s one of the greatest players to play the game and hopefully this is not the way it’s going to end.”

The initial reports are positive after Ronaldo underwent surgery in Paris yesterday and he is expected to begin his long course of rehabilitation sometime next week.

Galliani sees Ronaldo recovery

Milan Vice-President Adriano Galliani insists that Ronaldo’s chances of recovery are better than they were eight years ago.

The Brazilian star is recovering in hospital in Paris after yesterday afternoon’s operation on a severed tendon in his knee.

The doctors involved in the surgery were pleased with the procedure and has estimated a nine-month rehabilitation process.

While there are fears that at 31-years-old age could be a disadvantage for Ronaldo, Galliani has seen positive signs.

“Ronnie is feeling a little bit of pain, but it seems that the tendon is in better condition than his left was when he had the operation eight years ago,” he maintained.

“I’m no doctor so I won’t be able to give you any medical updates, but he will tell you how he is in a few days.

“For now he will stay in this clinic, but in a week or so he will be able to leave. We aren’t sure whether he will choose to recover in Milan or go to Madrid to be with his son.

Galliani finished his interview by refusing to discuss the possibility of bringing in a new striker to replace the No 99 in the summer.

“I’m ruling that out,” he said. “But for now we aren’t thinking about the market but simply about securing fourth place.”

LEONARDO: 'Ronie knows what he has to go through'

MILAN - Leonardo, who's currently in Paris to stay close to Ronaldo, explained that the Brazilian 'had a calm night. Now he only has to rest. Yesterday he had an emotional day. Ronie knows what he has to go through and what he has already been through. I think he is ready.' Nelio Nazario, Ronaldo's father, added: 'He still has a lot to give to the football world, he will come back to play.'

ERIC ROLLAND: 'It all depends from Ronaldo'

MILAN - 'It will be necessary a lot of energy to return to play. The determinant element will be the motivation of Ronaldo', said Eric Rolland. With regards to the recovery time, the surgeon who operated Ronie added: 'The rehabilitation takes a long time because it's a tendon. Ronaldo will not be able to run before 6 months and he will not be in reasonable condition before 9 months. We shall set up the stages. If this will not sound too binding, then everything is possible.'

Brazil president prays for Ronaldo

BRASILIA (AFP) - Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva on Friday said sent a letter to Ronaldo, a day after the striker had knee surgery in Paris, saying he was praying for the world champion's recovery.

"We are praying and we pass on all our energy and support, my dear Ronaldo," said the president.

"May God bless you," he added in the letter, whose contents were released by Brazilian media.

"I join millions of Brazilians in saying: Carry on, resist and don't get down," said Lula, who added he was optimistic that the 31-year-old AC Milan player would return to action.

"You will come back and again be an example of courage and perseverance. As a football fan, I know you will again allow Italians and Brazilians to witness your extraordinary feats."

Flamengo desperate to get hands on Ronaldo: report

ROME (AFP) - Brazilian club side Flamengo are desperate to get their hands on Ronaldo should he make a full recovery from the knee injury he sustained on Wednesday that has curtailed his season according to Italian agency Ansa.

Flamengo tried to sign the former three-time world player of the year during the January transfer window before 'Il Fenomeno' opted to stay with European champions AC Milan.

But his contract is up at the end of the season and his ruptured knee tendon means he will not play again for nine months to a year, making it unlikely a new contract will be offered.

But Flamengo's vice-president Kleber Leite is still determined to bring Ronaldo back to the country of his birth.

"The dream of having Ronaldo with us is still alive and in the coming days we will put a proposal to him through his agent Fabiano Farah," Ansa quoted Leite as saying.

"We will present it to him in written form to show just how much we want him to play for us.

"We will wait for him to recover and in the meantime we will try to finalise our plan."

When Ronaldo injured his knee, which was subsequently operated on in Paris on Thursday, some feared he may never play again.

He is already 31 and suffered the same injury to his other knee back in 1999, which saw him spend the best part of 20 months out of the game.

However, this week he expressed his determination to come back, which has alerted Flamengo.

Crocked Ronaldo to get new deal

AC Milan are ready to offer Ronaldo a new deal despite his career-threatening injury, according to the Brazil striker's solicitor.Ronaldo underwent surgery in Paris on Thursday after rupturing tendons in his left knee during Wednesday's 1-1 draw against Livorno and is expected to be sidelined for up to a year.

The 31-year-old's contract at the Rossoneri ends on June 30 but solicitor Fabiano Farah is confident Ronaldo will still be a Milan player when he comes back from injury.

"Everything makes us think that the club are interested in renewing his contract," Farah told Brazilian daily Terra.

"Vice-president (Adriano) Galliani has already expressed this desire.

"Ronaldo wants to return to playing, but his primary aim is to get better and have a good rehabilitation.

"He is the type of person that continues right to the end in his challenges, he has always won them.

"He is a born fighter and I am sure he is ready for this new battle."

These are the qualities that Eric Rolland, the surgeon who operated on Ronaldo, knows will be vital if the World Cup winner is to play professional football again.

"He will need a lot of energy to return to playing," Rolland told French daily Le Parisien.

"And his motivation will be the determining factor.

"The rehabilitation time will be very long because his injury involved a tendon and not a ligament.

"We have to give him back some solidity.

"We know at once therefore that Ronaldo will not be able to run for at least six months and that he will not be in reasonable condition to train before nine months."

Dad delivers upbeat report on AC Milan's Ronaldo

Ronaldo's Dad has revealed both the presidents of AC Milan and Inter have been in contact since his son's horror knee injury.

Nelio Nazario De Lima said: "I've certainly had a call from Silvio Berlusconi (Milan), even also from Massimo Moratti (Inter). It's a good thing that two such clubs make the effort.

"Especially Moratti, for all his rivalry with Milan, he still found it in him to ask about Ronaldo. I must thank Moratti for such a lovely gesture."

Nelio also delivered a very upbeat report on Ronaldo after his knee surgery in Paris last week.

"The situation is better than I thought. Today my son is really good, he has removed the bandages and takes no more morphine. And he's happy. He is really good."

Seedorf fears for Ronaldo career

Dutchman Clarence Seedorf believes AC Milan team-mate Ronaldo may not return to playing football after the Brazilian suffered a serious injury this week.

The 31-year-old striker needed surgery on Thursday after rupturing a tendon in his left knee against Livorno.

"He's one of the greatest to play the game and hopefully this is not the way it's going to end," Seedorf told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"I hope he makes the right decision at the right time."

Holland midfielder Seedorf said the moment the Brazil star collapsed he knew it was a serious injury.

"Nobody wants to watch moments like that," said the 31-year-old, who accompanied Ronaldo to hospital.

"My heart stopped beating because it was like watching a repeat of the injury he suffered playing for Inter Milan against Lazio. His reaction was the same."

He added: "It's the third time it has happened to him - the third knee injury he has picked up. That's why I'm thinking it may be the end.

"We'll see what happens over the next six months - he now needs to focus on rehabilitation."

Ronaldo, a three-time Fifa world player of the year, suffered the same injury in his right knee in November 1999.

He lasted seven minutes on his comeback in April 2000 before damaging his knee again, which sidelined him for another 20 months.

AC Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi said, "I called him and told him to believe in himself. As a 31-year-old, he's very young," he told Italy's RAI TV.

"He has an extraordinary physique and I think within a few months he could return to being the champion that we all know him as."

Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti added: "We're all very sorry and worried about what happened.

"I don't want to say it's the end of his career because only time can decide - all we can do is stand by him."

"He is still feeling a little pain but it seems the tendon of the left knee is in better shape than that of the right knee which was operated on eight years ago."

AC Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani believes the injury is not as bad this time around.

"He is still feeling a little pain but it seems the tendon of the knee is in better shape than that of the right knee which was operated on eight years ago," he said.

"I am not a doctor and therefore I will not be making a guess at how long he will be out.

"He will need to stay in hospital about a week but after that I do not know where he will decide to go - whether he will return to Milan or go to Madrid with his son."

And Galliani added that a replacement could be signed in the Brazilian's absence in the summer.

"I am not ruling out bringing in another player but we will have to see this summer," he confirmed. "Our aim this season is to finish fourth in the league, meaning we will qualify for the Champions League."

Who Is Zidane? Says Ronaldo’s Hospital

Zinedine Zidane was unable to contact hospitalised star Ronaldo as he recovers from his horrific knee injury because the hospital operator didn’t know who the Frenchman was.

Ronaldo is in hospital in Paris having undergone surgery for the career-threatening ruptured tendon in his knee that he suffered in last Wednesday’s match with Livorno.

Messages of support have flooded in for El Fenomeno, who is set to be out of the game for at least nine-to-twelve months.

One of these well-wishers was none other than France legend Zinedine Zidane, who is a former team-mate of Ronaldo from their time together at Real Madrid.

Zidane yesterday rang up the hospital that Ronaldo is staying at in order to speak to his old colleague and friend.

When the hospital telephone operator asked who was calling, incredibly the name Zinedine Zidane was not recognised by the employee, thus the 1998 World Cup winner was not granted permission to speak to Ronaldo.

Zidane only retired from football in 2006, however it seems that despite being one of the greatest players in the history of the game, his name is already starting to be forgotten.

Capello Has Kind Words For Ronaldo And Del Piero

England coach Fabio Capello talked about two of his former players, Ronaldo and Alessandro Del Piero, both of whom had difficult relationships with the coach.

Perhaps living in England has made Fabio Capello more gentle. It would be hard, if that weren't the case, to explain the words said today by the England coach about Ronaldo and Alessandro Del Piero, two players who have never had a very good relationship with him.

On Ronaldo's recent knee injury, he said: "Unfortunately I saw it live and I was very sad. Aside from everything that's been said, I have always claimed he is the best player I've ever coached, even superior to Marco Van Basten.

"Unfortunately this is a very serious injury and he will have to work hard to come back. I hope he does, because players like him are too important for football. He has to make it, he has to find back the pride and the will to come back."

On Del Piero: "Del Piero is another great player, and like all great players he has to understand that he has to rest sometimes. I saw that once in a while [Juventus coach Claudio] Ranieri lets him rest, without forgetting that Juve have only the league this season. When you are involved in the Cups you have to think differently."

AC Milan chief Leonardo: Ronaldo taking it day-to-day

AC Milan director Leonardo says Ronaldo is upbeat after his knee operation.

Leonardo said of his fellow Brazilian: "I'd like him to talk at the right time. Now he is still in hospital, a few days have passed after a major operation and there is still stress. I see him, however, stronger, because he's experienced really important things in terms of injuries and always have overcome them.

"He is calm, I see that he is not thinking long-term. I think he is living for today, going forward, step by step, from a difficult situation."

Leonardo added: "We will talk with him about a playing return. I believe that now is not the moment for him to think about that. Now is a time of reflection, to stay calm. Thinking about his return, for those who love football, it is something extraordinary. It is up to him, but I think he needs time to get some things in order."