Bellazon

Ronaldo Lima
Thumbnail

Inter coach Mancini blasts AC Milan's Ronaldo

Inter Milan coach Roberto Mancini has blasted AC Milan's Ronaldo over his call for people to treat Adriano fairly.

"Ronaldo and his friends should call things as they see them rather than always saying that he is right," he roared.

"If they always treat him as if he is correct then they aren't real friends.

"Before he left for Brazil, I told him that he has lots of waiting here for him in January."

AC Milan striker Ronaldo to start against Cagliari

ROME (AFP) - Brazilian superstar Ronaldo will make his first appearance of the season for AC Milan by starting Sunday's match at Cagliari, coach Carlo Ancelotti confirmed on Saturday.

Ronaldo has had an injury blighted start to the season and is yet to get on the pitch.

He was named as a substitute against Atlanta two weeks ago but that match was abandoned after just seven minutes due to crowd trouble.

But now the former three times World Player of the Year will get the nod from the beginning.

"Ronaldo will play from the start, he is well and will finally start to make a contribution to the team," Ancelotti told a press conference.

"We expect the same from him this year as he gave last season. He has a great desire to play."

Ronaldo made a strong impression last season after signing from Real Madrid during the January transfer window. He scored seven goals in 14 league outings and he has been sorely missed this season, with Milan struggling down in 11th position and 11 points off league leaders Inter Milan - they have failed to win in six league matches at home.

The 31-year-old will partner Italy forward Alberto Gilardino in attack, relegating Filippo Inzaghi to the bench.

"Inzaghi had a little fever last night and therefore Gilardino will partner Ronaldo," added Ancelotti.

The 31-year-old Ronaldo has not played since injuring his thigh at the end of July, although he did come through unscathed from a charity run-out in Malaga at the beginning of the week.

Despite starting him, Ancelotti admitted Ronaldo will not finish the game.

"Ronaldo has never played for 90 minutes and he never will. He has particular characteristics and those are enough for us.

"Ronaldo produces moments of great genius and that's what we're looking for, we are convinced that he can succeed for us."

Meanwhile Ancelotti dismissed newspaper reports earlier in the day that Brazil playmaker Kaka has already been told he was won the Ballon d'Or - formerly the European Footballer of the Year award which has become a world player of the year award.

The Ballon d'Or is a hot gossip subject in Italy with Kaka the overwhelming favourite to win when the award is announced on December 2 in Paris.

"I would be astonished if Kaka didn't win it but nothing is official yet," said Ancelotti.

Cagliari 1:2 AC Milan

Cagliari: Fortin; Ferri, Lopez (Bizera 74), Bianco, Agostini; Biondini, Conti, Parola; Foggia (Larrivey 87); Matri (Fini 66), Acquafresca

Milan: Dida; Oddo (Cafu 70), Nesta, Maldini, Serginho; Gattuso (Brocchi 79), Pirlo, Ambrosini (Bonera 58); Kakà; Ronaldo, Gilardino

Goals:

1-0, Acquafresca 4'

1-1, Gilardino 61'

1-2, Pirlo 85'

Ref: Dondarini

Cagliari 1:2 AC Milan - match report

Milan fought back from a goal down with Andrea Pirlo's late winner on Ronaldo's debut after Kaka had seen his penalty saved.

Il Fenomeno had not played a competitive match since May, but was finally ready to lead the line, especially as Clarence Seedorf, Pippo Inzaghi, Kakha Kaladze and Marek Jankulovski were sidelined. Cagliari had their own debut, as Coach Nedo Sonetti took over from Marco Giampaolo. The Rossoneri were undefeated here in Serie A since a 1-0 result on October 18, 1998, although last season they were held to a 2-2 draw.

There was a minute's silence ahead of every game this weekend for Italian soldier Daniele Paladino, who was killed in a suicide bomb attack in Afghanistan.

It took less than four minutes for Cagliari to take the lead. Once again a corner kick proved disastrous for the Rossoneri defence, as Massimo Oddo lost sight of Robert Acquafresca and Nelson Dida failed to come out, so the Under-21 international turned in the header.

Paolo Maldini took matters into his own hands with a left-foot strike from distance that tested Marco Fortin, but the Sardinians threatened again when Pasquale Foggia's pass flashed across the face of goal with nobody able to get on the end of it.

Dida spilled a Foggia counter and Alberto Gilardino's glancing header from a corner caused concerns. Ronaldo turned between two defenders, but lost his footing and a defender came flying in with the tackle.

Gennaro Gattuso headed Kaka's cross into the path of Ronaldo, who was held back by Paolo Bianco. Kaka stepped up, but his penalty was saved by Fortin and on the follow-up Maldini struck the side-netting.

After the restart the Sardinians remained in control, as Bianco's glancing header whistled across the face of goal. Yet Ronaldo was unlucky not to equalise when he turned the ball on to the base of the upright with the inside of his right foot.

Serginho's angled drive was deflected inches past the far post, while Massimo Ambrosini went off injured, pushing Serginho further up the field.

Milan finally drew level with Gilardino's acrobatic finish, as he had to jump up and flick Serginho's deflected cross in off the outside of his right foot from six yards to avoid the goalkeeper's intervention.

Cagliari almost restored their advantage moments later, as Acquafresca ran down the right flank and squeezed his shot from the narrowest of angles past both Alessandro Nesta and Dida, but Daniele Bonera performed a decisive last-gasp goalline clearance.

Bianco risked an own goal as he anticipated Gilardino at the near post, but the resulting Andrea Pirlo corner came out to substitute Marcos Cafu for a sensational volley that skimmed the crossbar.

Dida smothered a Parola snapshot from the edge of the box, but Milan turned it all around five minutes from time with a Pirlo free kick. His right-foot effort swung over the wall and seemed to take Fortin by surprise, as it was relatively central.

Galliani Unconcerned About Ronaldo Contract

Milan President Adriano Galliani has stated that he feels no pressure of rushing into contract negotiations with Ronaldo.

The Brazilian star made his first appearance of the season yesterday against Cagliari, following a long spell on the sidelines with injury.

El Fenomeno had an impressive game considering his lack of match sharpness, winning a penalty, hitting the post, and having a few inspired moments.

Ronaldo’s contract with Milan expires at the end of the season, meaning that under the laws of the Bosman ruling, he will be free to talk with other clubs from January onwards.

“There is no problem with Ronaldo’s contract,” Galliani said confidently. “There is great affection between the club and the player.”

It is believed that Milan will wait until after next month’s FIFA Club World Cup in Japan before offering the 31-year-old an extension.

The ex-Real Madrid star has recently been linked with a move to the United States, with David Beckham hoping to lure his former team-mate to LA Galaxy.

Ronaldo close to top form

Ronaldo said he was close to his best after making his first competitive appearance for over six months in AC Milan's 2-1 win at Cagliari on Sunday.

The Brazilian, 31, missed the end of last term with a hamstring problem and then injured his leg again in preseason. Milan kept delaying his comeback and the club's medical staff later admitted misdiagnosing the strain.

He hit a post in Cagliari during a solid display and also won a soft penalty which Kaka missed.

"I'm doing things slowly but I'm not too far from my best form. I had two chances where I've been close to scoring a goal," he told Sky television.

Ronaldo has gained weight in recent years with Milan saying in August that his problem was down to hypothyroidism. He has slimmed down slightly and wants to show Milan he can still be as devastating as he was several years ago.

"We'll see how well I do this year then we can see about a new contract," he added.

Ronaldo was cup-tied for Milan's Champions League triumph last season following his January move from Real Madrid but hopes to be involved in Wednesday's Group D trip to Benfica where the holders can qualify for the last 16 with a victory.

Coach Carlo Ancelotti knew Ronaldo was ready to return.

"He won a penalty and hit the post. He is in line with what we expected," he said.

Ancelotti: Ronaldo will start

Carlo Ancelotti has confirmed Ronaldo will play from the start against Cagliari on Sunday afternoon, but Clarence Seedorf and Pippo Inzaghi are sidelined.

Il Fenomeno has not set foot on the field in official competition this term after picking up a mysterious injury in August that dragged on for months and required two different sets of treatment.

“Finally Ronaldo will be there from the start,” said the Milan Coach in a real sigh of relief.

However, he urged the media and fans not to expect fireworks right away from the Brazilian striker.

“Ronaldo has never played a consistent 90 minutes and he never will. He has particular characteristics and those are enough for us.

“He has moments of great genius and creativity, so we are focusing on them. I am convinced that he can do well.”

Ronnie has played in friendly games to get back match-fitness, including this week’s charity event in Madrid against Zinedine Zidane’s all-stars.

But it will be his first Serie A tie since the encounter with Reggina at the Stadio Granillo on May 27 and is live on Five, kick-off 14.00 Sunday.

If Ronaldo returns, then Seedorf and Inzaghi sit out the trip to Sardinia, as neither are in the squad for the Cagliari game.

“Seedorf picked up a knock in training and sprained his ankle. He had not played with his national team midweek, so it is a shame, he would have been fresh,” explained Ancelotti.

“Kakha Kaladze and Dario Simic just returned from international duty yesterday and are very tired, so I’m afraid we’ll have to ask Kaka to do overtime again.

“Inzaghi had a bit of a temperature last night and so Alberto Gilardino will start upfront alongside Ronaldo. My only doubts over the line-up are for the full-backs.”

Massimo Oddo and Giuseppe Favalli are the favourites to take those roles, as Kaladze’s absence means Paolo Maldini should return to central defence, although Marcos Cafu and Serginho provide South American alternatives.

“Cagliari changed Coach and we don’t know how this new side will present itself. It will certainly be a complicated match, but we have worked well and can get the win.

“Nedo Sonetti has a lot of experience, is very determined and will make his mark on Cagliari.”

Pasquale Foggia will also be eager to make a good impression, as he was on Milan’s books but repeatedly loaned out.

“He is a player who prefers to move out wide, so in our tactical system he didn’t find much space,” explained Ancelotti.

AC Milan's Ronaldo: No problems with Inter president Moratti

tribalfootball.com - November 27, 2007

AC Milan striker Ronaldo has revealed he's settled his differences with Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti.

Moratti was unimpressed by Ronaldo when the former Inter star chose to join Milan last January from Real Madrid and fired several well-made barbs at the Brazilian through the press.

But Ronaldo, back in action after his comeback game against Cagliari on Sunday, said: "I can understand why Moratti is angry when he sees me in the Rossonera shirt. But we've spoken and I've explained everything to him. He wants me to do well."

On facing Juventus this weekend, Ronaldo added: "It's exciting. They're a new team, a new club. They also have many great players, like (Alessandro) Del Piero, who is in a similar situation to me with his national team."

AC Milan's Ronaldo wants new contract

AC Milan striker Ronaldo says he wants to play his way into a new contract.

"I'm going to try and impress this year to win the trust of the club," Ronaldo told Sky Sport Italia. "I want to earn things for myself and at the moment I haven't deserved an extension.

"If I manage to impress then I don't see there being problems in negotiations with the club at the end of the season, but I need to get stuck in as I don't want anything gifted to me."