Bellazon

Ronaldo Lima
Thumbnail

MLS chiefs approach AC Milan about Ronaldo availability

MLS chiefs are chasing AC Milan striker Ronaldo.

AS says MLS representatives made contact with Milan three days ago to sound them out about the availability of the Brazil international striker - and Milan did not respond with a firm 'No'.

Milan's dithering is believed to be down to president Silvio Berlusconi's plans of making two major blows in the summer market which could include "one or two non-EU players". If two non-European players were to arrive, then Milan would have to make room by offloading one from their current squad.

Meanwhile, having already placed David Beckham at LA Galaxy, MLS are in talks with Juan Sebastian Veron and Denilson about joining the competition. DC United have been mentioned as a potential destination for ex-Manchester United and Inter Milan midfielder Veron.

WITH THE RIGHT ATTITUDE

A week of intense training is about to draw to an end. For Ronaldo this phase off athletic work is fundamental to face a season full of appointments. - RONIE'S DECLARATIONS -

First days of work at Milanello but Ronaldo had already started in Brazil. How are you? "I'd say I'm doing well, it's tough, for everyone: it's been a very tough week, and so will the next one be, but we need to keep our engines running throughout the season."

Are you making a countdown to the end of the preparation or for the start of the games that matter? "I can't wait to start with the various competitions because we know of the importance of these weeks of hard work, it's physical but I don't think anyone likes doing only athletic work."

Ronaldo became a Rossonero in January. This is your first training camp with Milan: have you noticed differences with respect to other teams?

"All preparations are tough but I'd say at Milan there is a more personalised work which allows every player to exploit the characteristics of every player to the fullest."

Does the fact you will be participating to the Champions League this season give you more motivation?

"Certainly, participating to the Champions League from the start is an extra satisfaction but we have to participate for the whole season, there are many competitions ahead of us."

What can Milan do in this season?

"Many good things, let's hope we start well. This year everyone starts with the same amount of points. We are satisfied with this start, we still have to improve, we have to work hard in these weeks then on the pitch we will see the results."

Friendly: AC Milan 4:0 Lecco - match report :clap:

Ronaldo and Kaka were on target in Milan’s first friendly of the summer, a comfortable 4-0 win over Lecco.

The Rossoneri are the last Serie A side to get their pre-season training started and Il Fenomeno scored their opening goal of the 2007-08 campaign.

Clarence Seedorf’s through ball allowed Ronaldo to spring the offside trap and beat the goalkeeper with a precise right-foot finish.

Seedorf was in fine form and also set up the second for Kaka before completing the scoring himself.

Cristian Brocchi got in on the action for the third, tapping in the rebound from Kaka’s parried effort.

There was a definite Selecao feel to the side, as Brazilians Marcos Cafu, Serginho, Kaka and Ronaldo combined brilliantly.

In the second half Seedorf hit the upright and Massimo Oddo also appeared to be in good form with some promising crosses.

“This team knows itself so well by now. We played with a good tempo and some fine football,” commented Carlo Ancelotti.

“I liked the style of the goals too. It has been a useful week. Kaka and Ronaldo have such quality that you can see it even though they are tired from the lack of match fitness.”

Milan: Dida, Cafu, Bonera, Kaladze, Serginho, Gattuso, Brocchi, Ambrosini, Seedorf, Kakà, Ronaldo

RONALDO: 'I'm satisfied'

LECCO - Here's the comment of the first goal, Ronaldo, on the pitch for 65 minutes: "I'm happy, for the time being it's going well. We must still improve a lot, but it's normal, it was just the first test. From the personal level I'm satisfied: it was my first game after the long holidays, I scored and I'm happy about this. These games help to find the right rhythms. The understanding with Kaka and Seedorf? Perfect."