Bellazon

Ronaldo Lima
Thumbnail

A TEST OF SPEED

The players underwent a series of speed tests in the daily training session with Ronaldo taking the best time

The team met at Milanello at 15.30 CET for afternoon training. The session started with warm-ups and Carlo Ancelotti then divided the players up into three groups for speed tests of 10 and 30 metres. The fastest player was Ronaldo with 4.1 seconds in the 30 metres.

The keepers worked apart during the speed tests. Then, they joined the group for a game of keep-ball. To finish, Carlo Ancelotti had the players start on a series of attack against defence exercises. Kakha Kaladze worked apart in the gym. Paolo Maldini, Alessandro Nesta, Serginho and Pippo Inzaghi trained with the rest of the group.

Tomorrow’s training session is scheduled for 15.30 CET.

MILAN GOLF TOUR TEES OFF

The Milan Golf Tour starts today with the first round seeing Ronaldo in action on the greens

The Milan Golf Tour is back for its third edition today, with Ronaldo leading the way on the tees and greens along with assistant coach Mauro Tassotti and event organiser Daniele Massaro. It promises to be a real tour as there are five events in total, with the grand final at Golf Hotel Atahotels di Madonna di Campiglio between July 20 and 22.

All proceeds go to benefit the Milan Foundation project for the Neonatal and Intensive therapy unit of the Holy Family Hospital in Nazareth. In past years, total proceeds of 230 million euros generated by the tournament have gone to benefit the restoration of the emergency room of the Paediatric De March Clinic in Milan and to help the reconstruction of the University Heart hospital in Rome.

Apart from Ronaldo, other past and present Rossoneri stars taking part include Ricky Kakà, Andrea Pirlo, Roberto Donadoni, Stefano Nava and Marco Simone.

Banner Banner

Ronaldo wants Brazilian reunion

Ronaldo has urged Barcelona sensation Ronaldinho to join the Brazilian contingent at Milan next season.

The South American is again being linked with the Rossoneri today and Ronaldo is ready to welcome him with open arms.

“It would be great for Kaka, Ronaldinho and myself to play together at club level,” said the former Inter ace.

“But it won’t need Kaka or myself to convince him to move here because Milan are, after all, a great club.

“Every player dreams of wearing this jersey as Milan are one of the best sides in the world along with Real Madrid.”

Ronaldo left the latter for San Siro in January and he’s delighted with the way he has settled back into the Italian championship.

“Many good things have happened since I came here. I am finally happy and it is a delight to play and train,” he claimed.

“My physical condition is also still improving and I am close to reaching top form.”

The former Barcelona and PSV ace also moved to defend Adriano after the Inter man was allegedly involved in a recent nightclub altercation with an American basketball player.

“I was with him that night, but I left before he did,” he added. “While I was there nothing happened, but when I read the papers I called him and he swore there had been no fight.

“The things that are written about Adriano are often blown out of proportion, unfortunately at present he doesn’t feel that he is being protected by Inter.”

MILE RETURNS FOR RONALDO

Ronaldo has revealed that he has found his smile again and has a real desire to train. The Brazilian was speaking at a press conference to unveil the start of the Milan Golf Tour

Ronaldo was present at the press conference ahead of the third edition of the Milan Golf Tour which started today. The Brazilian had this to say:

I like golf, it's relaxing and entertaining even if it's outside training because I didn't play a lot in Madrid. I will definitely play more here in Milan. An event such as the Milan Golf Tour is important because it's always good to do well with the rest. Milan have once again demonstrated this.

The international break has definitely served Milan well, seeing that there is a decisive moment ahead. I have worked a lot since I have been here. Ten days ago I went through new tests that I made when I first arrived at Milan and I have improved 20%. I have found my smile again, the desire to play and train. I am pleased that there are encounters and important games ahead. I have just arrived at Milan and I want to improve as much as possible.

Moratti's behaviour? There is no need to dramatise what he has done, he was a great friend and great president for me. It's only normal that he wants Inter to win. In that moment he created a tense climate of which I understand. He enjoyed his team winning, it was his moment.

Ronaldinho? it's everyone's dream to come here because along with Real it is one of the two great clubs in the world. It would be wonderful to play alongside him, I can't say anything, it doesn't take me or Kakà to convince him that Milan is a great side.

NOT JUST PAR FOR THE COURSE

Ronaldo’s brilliant talent goes beyond football and he put on a great show for charity in the first round of the Milan Golf Tour

Ronaldo spoke from the first round in the third edition of the charity Milan Golf Tour: ‘My golf game wasn’t brilliant today, but I am nevertheless very happy and proud that I can contribute to such an important charity cause.’

Ronaldo took to the green with Mauro Tassotti, before returning to Milanello in time for afternoon training. The Brazilian champion boasts a 10 handicap, but he modestly said with a relaxed smile: ‘I haven’t played for eight months and you could tell!’ Ronaldo sported a black cap that made him look surprisingly similar to Tiger Woods and he had a confession to make in regards to the famous golfer: ‘It would be great to play with him. I would love to listen to advice from a great champion. I’ll dedicate much more time to golfing when I leave football, but I will never be as great as Tiger. That’s for sure.’ When asked about his current condition, he replied: ‘I’ve found something to smile about at Milan and physically I am improving. However, there is still a lot I want to do to reach the best condition possible.’

The Banca Euromobiliare team, which is made-up of Francesco Panico, Marco Beretta, Alessandro and Cristian Bechstein placed first today with 85 points. Parmacotta (Maria Luigia Cocconcelli, Albertina Pavesi, Carlo Allegri, Raffaele Iorio) took second with 83 points. In third place stand Audi (Loredano Colla, Andrea Parolari, Jacopo Ruggiero, Fabrizio Bossi) with 82 points.

This is the first of the five city rounds scheduled for the third edition of the Milan Golf Tour. The charity event is the brainchild of Daniele Massaro and all proceeds go to benefit this year’s Milan Foundation project for the Neonatal and Intensive therapy unit of the Holy Family Hospital in Nazareth. In past years, total proceeds of 230 million euros generated by the tournament have gone to benefit the restoration of the emergency room of the Paediatric De March Clinic in Milan and to help the reconstruction of the University Heart hospital in Rome.

Rossoneri champions like Ronaldo, Ricky Kakà, Andrea Pirlo, Mauro Tassotti, Roberto Donadoni, Stefano Nava and Marco Simone will participate in this year’s charity tournament. The champions will take to the field arm-in-arm with the following companies, who have contributed to make the tournament possible: Atahotels, Audi, Banca Euromobiliare, Beta Utensili, Binda Orologi, Biotherm, Boffi, Damiani, Egidio Logistica, Erg, Gabetti, Green Steel Solana, Il Giornale, Il Mondo del Golf, Italconferencing, Louis Vuitton, Par 72, Parmacotto, Pubitalia 80, Ricoh and Samsonite.

Ronaldo looking forward to Rome return

BARI, Italy (AP) - Ronaldo is more excited than most of his AC Milan teammates for Saturday's match with AS Roma.

The Brazil striker suffered one of the worst injuries of his career at Stadio Olimpico while playing for Inter Milan against Lazio in 2000.

"The game has a special feeling for me. I've been joking with my teammates lately that in Rome I either score or get injured," Ronaldo said. "Now I want to score and forget everything else because Olimpico is a great stadium and Roma is a great team."

For the rest of Milan's players - and Roma - the match seems more like a warmup for next week's Champions League quarterfinals.

Milan hosts Bayern Munich on Tuesday and Roma plays Manchester United at the Stadio Olimpico on Wednesday. Ronaldo transferred to Milan in January from Real Madrid and is barred from playing the Champions League this season for Milan.

The standings also don't make for much hype.

Roma is second, 18 points behind Inter Milan, while Milan is fifth after beginning the season with an eight-point penalty from the Italian match-fixing scandal.

Often criticized for being overweight at Real Madrid, Ronaldo showed he is regaining his physical form with Milan by winning 30-meter sprints in training Tuesday.

"I've worked a lot since I arrived here. Ten days ago I performed some tests again that I also did when I first arrived and there was a 20 percent improvement," Ronaldo said. "I've rediscovered the fun in soccer."

Milan captain Paolo Maldini will likely sit out the match to rest up for the Champions League, although Alessandro Nesta could return from a long injury layoff in defense.

While Roma captain Francesco Totti may play to keep up his form, Roma will want him to keep some energy in reserve for the Champions League.

Totti hasn't played since the last Serie A round on March 18. He is taking a break from the national team, missing Italy's 2-0 win over Scotland on Wednesday.

Inter, which was eliminated from the Champions League, hosts struggling Parma on Sunday.

Parma has won only four games and is only one spot ahead of last-place Ascoli. Inter is still undefeated with 24 wins and four draws but only beat Ascoli 2-1 in its last outing.

Forward Vincenzo Iaquinta is expected back from injury when Udinese hosts third-place Lazio and former Italy striker Christian Vieri is slated to return from a three-month injury layoff when Atalanta hosts Fiorentina.

Fiorentina forward Luca Toni scored two headers in Italy's win Wednesday and reserve striker Giampaolo Pazzini scored a hat trick in a 3-3 draw between Italy and England's under-21 teams at the new Wembley stadium last weekend.

Fourth-place Palermo is at Torino.

Siena visits Reggina on Saturday. Also Sunday, it's: Cagliari vs. Messina, Chievo Verona vs. Sampdoria, Empoli vs. Ascoli; and Livorno vs. Catania.

ROMA - MILAN

GOALKEEPRS: Dida, Storari, Fiori.

DEFENDERS: Cafu, Favalli, Maldini, Nesta, Oddo, Simic.

MIDFIELDERS: Brocchi, Gattuso, Gourcuff, Kakà, Pirlo, Seedorf.

STRIKERS: Borriello, Gilardino, Inzaghi, Ricardo Oliveira, Ronaldo.