Bellazon

Ronaldo Lima
Thumbnail

Ronaldo doubtful about recovery

Milan - AC Milan star Ronaldo has said he fears he may have to quit football as he begins his recovery from a second major knee injury in his career.

Repubblica TV on Tuesday showed footage of the Brazilian striker with his father and son in a Paris apartment next to the Pitie-Salpetriere hospital where he was operated on February 14.

"I must be prepared. I know well that it won't be easy," the dispirited Ronaldo said. "It was a very difficult operation and something could happen during the rehabilitation, which could mean having to quit playing.

"Of course, no club wants a 31-year-old, operated twice (the first in 2000), who suffered two terrible injuries to his knees. No club can think of signing such a player."

Ronaldo was stretched off the pitch in tears minutes after coming on in a Serie A game on February 13. He suffered the rupture of the rotula ligament in his left knee. Doctors said he could fully recover by the end of 2008.

FLAMENGO SET TO OFFER RONALDO LIFELINE

Brazilian club Flamengo have reiterated their desire to sign AC Milan's injured striker Ronaldo, despite claims the player is negotiating a new one-year deal to stay at the European champions while he recovers from knee surgery.

The 31-year-old ruptured tendons in his left knee against Livorno earlier this month and, after undergoing surgery in Paris last week, admitted he was prepared for the possibility that the injury may force him to prematurely retire.

Flamengo president Marcio Braga is seemingly undeterred by the Brazil international's caution as he seeks to prise the player away from Milan, where his current contract is set to expire in June.

He said: "We would welcome him with open arms. He knows that. We have already offered that to him.

"It would be wonderful if we could count on him here, among us. That said, Ronaldo is currently negotiating a one-year extension of his contract with Milan, so he will have to choose."

One advantage of a return to his homeland would be the opportunity to receive ongoing treatment from Jose Luiz Runco, who is the doctor of both Flamengo and the Brazil national team.

And Braga added: "He knows that if he wants to come to Flamengo to get over the injury, he can."

Flamengo wait for AC Milan's Ronaldo "with open arms"

Flamengo president Marcio Braga has told AC Milan striker Ronaldo the door is open to him to make a return to his former club.

Braga said: "We would welcome him with open arms, he knows us well. We are ready to make him an offer.

"It would be fantastic to have him with us. Ronie is negotiating a renewal of his contract with Milan, he must make a choice. He knows that Flamengo is willing to wait and help him recover."

Ronaldo Undecided on Career After Injury

Three-time FIFA player of the year Ronaldo says he has not yet decided whether he will continue his career after rupturing a tendon in his left knee.

Ronaldo spoke Friday as he was leaving Pitie-Salpetriere hospital in Paris after surgery a week ago. The hospital has said the operation went well but that it was too early to say whether the 31-year-old Brazilian striker would return to the field.

Ronaldo was injured in AC Milan's 1-1 draw with Livorno in the Serie A last week.

Pato: I Did It For Ronaldo

AC Milan striker Alexandre Pato dedicated his goal against Catania on Wednesday evening to injured striker Ronaldo...

The youngster's fellow Brazilian is currently laid up with a severe injury, adding a note of poignancy to Pato's dedication.

He told the media after his 30-yarder against Catania, "When I scored, I was thinking of Ronaldo."

He added, "It was a great feeling, like last year when I scored in the derby for Inter [internacional Porto Alegre]."

The 18-year-old, however, rued that his goal proved insufficient to aid his side towards three points.

"I scored, yes, but it wasn't enough to help us win," he sighed.

Pato has hit five goals in eight appearances so far in Serie A.

Ronaldo will stay, insists Berlusconi

MILAN (AFP) - AC Milan owner and Italian politician Silvio Berlusconi insisted Tuesday that former three time world player of the year Ronaldo would stay with the European champions.

Ronaldo is currently side-lined with a ruptured knee tendon that is unlikely to see him return to competitive action much before 2009.

His contract at Milan expires in June and even the 31-year-old himself has admitted that his whole footballing career, let alone his stay at Milan, could be over.

But Berlusconi still wants to see the former Barcelona, Inter Milan and Real Madrid forward plying his trade at the San Siro next season.

"I think Ronaldo will stay with us, and if he wants to he can still be a major player," Berlusconi told Sky TV.

"He's already suffered this type of injury to his other knee and he knew how to come back.

"If he still has the desire, he is very young, he's 31. Here we have an example at our own club (Paolo) Maldini who is 40 (actually 39).

"And hence I think and hope he will want to continue and in that case, Milan would be delighted to keep him."

Making comparisons between the clean-living Maldini who has had few serious injuries during his career and the overweight Ronaldo who has already missed the best part of 20 months when he suffered the same injury to his other knee back in 1999 seems futile, though.

Even if Ronaldo wanted to come back, he will be at least 32 when he returns and will certainly be no fitter or slimmer than he is now - and already he has faced a barrage of criticism over the last couple of years for his inability to last a full match and for his expanding waistline.

But only 10 days ago Ronaldo himself gave an interview to Brazilian TV where he admitted the possibility that his career was over.

Berlusconi seems more concerned that he cannot field his dream Brazilian attacking trio - with Kaka and Pato - although he has expressed an interest in signing Inter Milan's Adriano, currently on loan in Brazil.

His pursuit of Adriano is motivated by his dream of a Brazilian model to rival AC Milan's Swedish triumverate (Gunnar Gren, Nils Lidholm and Gunnar Nordahl) of the 1950s or the Dutch one (Frank Rijkaard, Ruud Gullit and Marco van Basten) of the late 1980s and early 1990s.

Berlusconi's other concern is over rumours that coach Carlo Ancelotti will take over the Italy national team after Euro 2008.

"I don't know about that. I have to say that selfishly I hope that Ancelotti stays with us," said Berlusconi.

AC Milan players to welcome back Ronaldo today

tribalfootball.com - March 11, 2008

AC Milan officials are preparing to welcome back Ronaldo this afternoon.

Corriere della Sera says Ronaldo will return to Italy this morning from Paris, where he has been recovering from last month's surgery.

The Brazilian will visit Milanello in the afternoon to see his teammates and coach Carlo Ancelotti. He will also check into the MilanLab and discuss his rehab programme with the club's medical chiefs.

It's understood Ronaldo will remain in Milan until the first week of April before he jets home to Brazil to continue his recovery.

Galliani: Ronaldo must wait for AC Milan contract talks

AC Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani says they'll wait before opening new contract talks with Ronaldo.

The Brazilian is leaving Paris for Milan as he continues his rehab and Galliani admitted: "I've heard about that and it will be nice to have him back.

"I do not know about his contract. We'll hear what he has to say, we will have time to talk, but for now he has to think about his recovery."

Ronaldo returns to Italy

ROME (AFP) - AC Milan forward Ronaldo has returned to Italy following surgery in Paris to repair a ruptured knee tendon.

The 31-year-old Brazil international damaged his knee last month in a match against Reggina and flew to the French capital for the surgery.

He stayed there for almost four weeks of treatment but touched down in Italy just after midday Tuesday where he was accompanied by his girlfriend Maria Beatriz and Milan scout Leonardo.

Ronaldo's long term future in football is in doubt as he is likely to be out until the end of the year and his contract at AC Milan expires in June.

HERE IS RONIE!

The Fenomeno returned to Milanello today, and was able to embrace his team mates, the coach, and everyone he had to leave due to the injury that involved him. - THE DECLARATIONS -

MILANELLO - Here are the declarations made by Ronaldo to Milan Channel's microphones on the day of his return to the Milan sporting center of Milanello after the operations which involved the Brazilian's left knee:

"I'm better, the worst is over, I have no pain anymore, and now I'm able to walk better. There's not much time before I can stop using my crutches within the established times.

It's nice to be back here at Milanello and seeing all my friends, and it's a good thing that I don't feel any pain.

For now it's early to talk about a decision, but I'm preparing for this great mission which is to get back to playing again."

GATTUSO: 'Ronaldo is football'

MILAN - Rino Gattuso welcomed back Ronaldo: "He changed his look, now he has the goatie, but I must say that it hurts to see a great champion sitting on the bench looking at the training session, because Ronaldo is football. Following the injury he has no been Ronaldo, but he played at 40% and did extraordinary things. In these years I understood why they call him 'Fenomeno'. If he was just like that at 40%, think how he would be at 100%."