Bellazon

Roosmarijn de Kok
Thumbnail

FashionDream

Here's also the actual pages from an editorial by Lee Broomfield and makeup by Linda Cantello, it was published in the french magazine "Votre Beauté". (I posted about this also on page 19 but not with the actual images). 

ujwbtcQ8.jpg nojnLlez.jpg CgTsA1LO.jpg PdKkOZ9L.jpg 51aHXMqg.jpg

And better versions from older stuff:

Here are some higher res versions of a test shoot Roos did about two years ago.

qU996Huf.jpg 29HeBQXb.jpg nACbW2uj.jpg

And last but not least for  @Limerlight  here is the pronunciation guide! Sorry that it's kinda long, I have been wanting to make it since forever. 

The name might sound a bit different from what you imagined :) The text is a bit long so you can also skip to the recording at the end if you don't want to read. 

Just to start, her first name is "Roosmarijn" and her last name is "de Kok". The name Roosmarijn de Kok is Dutch (I am Dutch as well, which is why I am doing this tutorial) and Dutch is a bit hard to pronounce depending on where you're from, since the sounds in our language are different than for instance those in the English language. In fact, the IJ sound in Roosmarijn's name is a sound that does not occur in other languages. So although you guys will probably not nail the pronunciation after this tutorial, but I hope this guide will give you a clue on how to pronounce the name.

Her name in IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) is: /ro:sma:'rɛin də kɔk/

doesn't look too hard right? It's probably not hard at all for most of you to kinda get it. Let's start with the first name /ro:sma:'rɛin/. It consists of three syllables, Roos-ma-RIJN. The first part is almost the same as the English word Rose (the R is different though). That is why Rose/Roos is her nickname. MA sounds like the M and a elongated a sound (English apparently doesn't have the exact sound but you get it). The IJ sounds kinda like Reyn/Rayn/Rain (I tried to think of something but all of them don't really sound like IJ). So in total it's like rose-maa-REYN or something. 

Now that was a description, but what does it actually sound like? Here is a computer voice saying her first name (set it to "Dutch Female" first). 

http://www.howtosay.co.in/pronounce/roosmarijn-in-english/ (not 100% accurate maybe because it's a computer but yeah). Was that kinda what you expected from what I said?

The IJ did probably did not sound very strange to you; However if you tried to pronounce it a Dutch person would probably hear that it's not 100% right. That's always the case with sounds that aren't in your natural language. Dutch people for instance also cannot really do the English TH sound perfectly. But this tutorial is not aiming at a 100% right pronunciation anyway.  

Now the first name (so the hard part) is done! The last name is actually very easy. "De" is pronounced like a D + an A sound as in "above". The last name is pronounced with an O that kinda sounds like the O in "horse" (a bit differently in proper Dutch but as I said who cares). 

So for the end of the tutorial, what does the full name sound like

Here is a recording I had someone else make (because I hate my voice haha). The name is said three times, the second one is the best one. 

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1aDAU0rdtol

I hope you guys enjoyed the tutorial and now kinda know how the name is pronounced! xx

2 hours ago, flamelingo said:

And last but not least for  @Limerlight  here is the pronunciation guide! Sorry that it's kinda long, I have been wanting to make it since forever. 

The name might sound a bit different from what you imagined :) The text is a bit long so you can also skip to the recording at the end if you don't want to read. 

Just to start, her first name is "Roosmarijn" and her last name is "de Kok". The name Roosmarijn de Kok is Dutch (I am Dutch as well, which is why I am doing this tutorial) and Dutch is a bit hard to pronounce depending on where you're from, since the sounds in our language are different than for instance those in the English language. In fact, the IJ sound in Roosmarijn's name is a sound that does not occur in other languages. So although you guys will probably not nail the pronunciation after this tutorial, but I hope this guide will give you a clue on how to pronounce the name.

Her name in IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) is: /ro:sma:'rɛin də kɔk/

doesn't look too hard right? It's probably not hard at all for most of you to kinda get it. Let's start with the first name /ro:sma:'rɛin/. It consists of three syllables, Roos-ma-RIJN. The first part is almost the same as the English word Rose (the R is different though). That is why Rose/Roos is her nickname. MA sounds like the M and a elongated a sound (English apparently doesn't have the exact sound but you get it). The IJ sounds kinda like Reyn/Rayn/Rain (I tried to think of something but all of them don't really sound like IJ). So in total it's like rose-maa-REYN or something. 

Now that was a description, but what does it actually sound like? Here is a computer voice saying her first name (set it to "Dutch Female" first). 

http://www.howtosay.co.in/pronounce/roosmarijn-in-english/ (not 100% accurate maybe because it's a computer but yeah). Was that kinda what you expected from what I said?

The IJ did probably did not sound very strange to you; However if you tried to pronounce it a Dutch person would probably hear that it's not 100% right. That's always the case with sounds that aren't in your natural language. Dutch people for instance also cannot really do the English TH sound perfectly. But this tutorial is not aiming at a 100% right pronunciation anyway.  

Now the first name (so the hard part) is done! The last name is actually very easy. "De" is pronounced like a D + an A sound as in "above". The last name is pronounced with an O that kinda sounds like the O in "horse" (a bit differently in proper Dutch but as I said who cares). 

So for the end of the tutorial, what does the full name sound like

Here is a recording I had someone else make (because I hate my voice haha). The name is said three times, the second one is the best one. 

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1aDAU0rdtol

I hope you guys enjoyed the tutorial and now kinda know how the name is pronounced! xx

:oh_no::hug:You is a saint many many  thanks