Bellazon

Karlie Kloss
Thumbnail

jenibelle

The interview from Alive Magazine:

WALK THIS WAY

By Jill Manoff

Photos by Joseph Paradiso

From her Midwest roots to her curious catwalk swagger, St. Louisan Karlie Kloss was like nothing the fashion world had ever seen. That is, until she appeared in every relevant publication and runway show in the industry.

articles11xj0.jpg

Karlie Kloss has the career every budding supermodel dreams about. She’s landed the covers of Teen Vogue and Korean W; ad campaigns for Nina Ricci, Rebecca Taylor, See by Chloe and the UK’s Topshop; “top model” honors by such industry authorities as style.com and nymag.com and more designer shows than any other model during the Fall ’08 runway season—she opened Carolina Herrera and Pucci and closed multiple, including Marc by Marc Jacobs, Jill Stuart and Just Cavalli. From glam at Gucci to clean-cut at Calvin Klein to retro at Oscar de la Renta, this catwalk chameleon is fashion’s current darling. Still, the Webster Groves high school student calls her sister’s bunny slippers her favorite thing to wear. Maybe you’d need to stiletto-walk 64 shows in one season to understand.

Jill Manoff: Have you always been interested in fashion?

Karlie Kloss: I have always enjoyed creating my own style, but I never really followed fashion until I became a part of it.

JM:Jeff and Mary Clarke [owners of local Mother Model Management] are known for “discovering” models at grocery stores, book stores, concerts…all over town. Where

did they find you?

KK:I first met Jeff and Mary at the Threads for Hope fashion show casting. My friend’s mom encouraged me to go. The benefi t raised money for the family of one of my school friends, Michael Hope—another one of the Clarke’s models—whose father was in the advanced stages of cancer. Prior to this, a friend of my family’s had suggested to my mom and dad that they have me “see someone” in the industry because she felt that I had the look for high-fashion modeling. However, if it had not been for this benefit, I probably would not have pursued it so soon; I was already

very committed to ballet training at that point.

JM:But then you got bitten by the modeling bug.

KK:Yes! For Threads for Hope, I was selected from a large group of hopeful applicants. I think there were twelve other people selected for the fashion show. It was held at The Pageant and there were several hundred people in attendance, including representatives from modeling agencies in New York and Chicago. The next day, I interviewed with those agents and signed with a Chicago agency. It was Jeff and Mary who had coordinated the show, chose me as a participant and arranged for my interviews with the New York and Chicago agencies.

JM:What was it like to get started in the industry?

KK:At that point, I was 13 and 5’7”. The agency in Chicago wanted me to work with them right away, while the New York agencies wanted to track my development. After my career took off in Chicago and I reached the magical height of 5’9”, the New York agencies became very interested in working with me. Jeff and Mary then arranged for my signing with a New York agency. It is their guidance, along with the agents in Chicago and New York, that helped me reach this point in my career.

JM:What other mentors have you had in the industry?

KK:Once I became a part of the industry, several of the more established models stepped in to help and mentor me—including Coco Rocha, Catherine McNeil and Anja

Rubik. I have also had the pleasure of meeting many famous designers, photographers, fashion stylists and hair and makeup artists. It is an incredible honor to be able to work with the best people in their fields. I have learned so much about the industry and about myself as I have grown in my career.

JM:There has been much buzz about your unique walk, thanks—in part—to Tyra Banks [who reportedly mimicked the walk during a Jill Stuart runway show]. Who taught you to walk?

KK:I don’t think anyone really taught me to walk; I just kind of do it. Sometimes during shows, I feel like I’m playing a role and becoming a character. It is almost like a performance. I also really try to express the beauty of the clothing and capture the theme of the show. And I concentrate on not falling!

JM:You were in more shows during the Fall ’08 runway season than any other model. You must have been busy! Describe a typical day during New York Fashion Week.

KK:I’d go for castings and fi ttings on days before the week, then—once Fashion Week started—my typical day would be going to more fittings, then going directly to a show for hair and makeup, doing the show, then immediately going to a casting for a different designer whose show was later in the week. That pattern repeated itself every day for the entire week. Then I flew to London, Milan and Paris and repeated the process for the designers showing in those cities. I don’t drink coffee, but I did rely on hot chocolate a lot as a pick-me-up.

JM:What’s been your longest working day so far?

KK:I have had shoots during which we worked a 16-hour day then continued on the next morning. And, this past season in New York, I had one day in which I did nine shows. That day I was up by 6am and did not finish with fittings after the 9pm shows until 2am.

“It is an incredible honor to be able to work with the best people in their fi elds. I have learned so much about the industry and myself as I have grown in my career.”

JM:What do you consider to be the biggest moment thus far in your modeling career?

KK:This past fashion season was the biggest point in my career so far; I walked in over 60 shows and opened and closed many of the biggest designers’ shows. Being on the cover of Teen Vogue was another amazing moment. It was the craziest feeling to see myself on the cover of a magazine that was plastered on every

corner newsstand I passed while in New York—whenever I see myself in a magazine, I can’t believe it’s me! The Teen Vogue cover just happened to come out during New York Fashion Week. It was soooo weird.

JM:How do you stay grounded? Do you still go to school and hang out with friends like a “normal” teen?

KK:My sisters and family help keep me grounded by doing the normal things that

families do. I still have to clean my room, take the dogs out and do my homework. And, with the help of my school, I am able to continue my education while I travel. The program at my school is called The Statesman Center; it consists of a combination of in-class experience and online classes—so I can do it anywhere in the world, but still have a normal high school experience while I’m in town. I will graduate Webster Groves High School spring of 2011. My classmates are supportive, but nothing has really changed at school—except for the fact that I don’t get to see my friends as often as I would like.

JM:How is your family involved with your career?

KK:My family is very involved with my career. They are extremely supportive; whenever a job comes up or I need to travel, my family finds a way to help me make it happen. I always have someone travel with me; my mom, dad, older sister, uncle, aunt, grandmother, teacher, one of my agents in New York and Jeff Clarke—my agent in St. Louis—have all been involved as a chaperone at one time or another. And I usually consult my three sisters for fashion advice.

JM:I’ve seen you in some amazing outfits—tell me about the perks! What’s your favorite thing you’ve worn?

KKuring the Fashion Weeks, I get to wear lots of incredible clothes—and, for some shows, they pay me in clothes. But my favorite thing to wear is my sister Kimby’s bunny slippers.

JM:What have you learned about fashion since you started modeling?

KK:A lot—especially during the Fashion Weeks. I am a lot more aware of fashion now than I was before being involved in the fashion industry. I’ve learned a few beauty tricks along the way, as well; the makeup artists I’ve worked with have taught me how to apply makeup and how to take care of my skin.

JM:Tell me about all of the traveling—what’s the best place you’ve visited?

KK:One of my favorite parts of my job is having the opportunity to travel to so many

incredible places. I have been able to learn about so many different cultures, meet so

many talented people, try different foods, learn different languages—it has been amazing. I feel really fortunate to have had these experiences. I think the most fabulous place I have ever traveled would have to be either Dubai or Stockholm, Sweden.

JM:In regards to modeling, is there anything that you have not yet done, but would love to do?

KK:I would love to someday be on the cover of American Vogue!