Bellazon

Gianluca Zambrotta
Thumbnail

Maggie

ZAMBROTTA IS MILAN'S!

Now it's official: Gianluca Zambrotta is a new Milan player. The full back, who is about to play for Italy at Euro 2008, leaves Barcelona to strengthen the Milan defence.

MILAN - Official! Gianluca Zambrotta is a new Milan player.

Born in Como on 19 February 1977, the new Milan full back started out playing in his home city. Initially employed as a winger, Zambrotta made his professional debut at age 17, with Calcio Como, where he played for three seasons, from 1994 to 1997, in Serie B and C1.

His Serie A debut came on 31 August 1997, after his passage to Bari, against Parma. His stay in Apulia lasted for two seasons, durig which Zambrotta made 59 appearences and scored 6 goals.

Then, in '99, his passage to Juventus: there Juventus experimented playing him as a left back and it turned out to be a winning bet, as Zambrotta grew to become one of the best players in the world in that role. With the Bianconeri he played for seven seasons.

In the summer of 2006, after the chaos of 'Calciopoli', he leaves Italy and joins Frank Rijkaard's Barcelona. The Blaugrana's coach employed him mostly as a right back. With the Spaniards Zambrotta played a total of 58 games, scoring 3 goals.

A regular starter for the Azzurri, with Italy Zambrotta has made 71 appearences, scoring twice. The debut came on 10 February 1999 in Italy-Norway 0-0. Zambrotta participated to the World Cups of 2002 and 2006, and the Euros of 2000 and 2004.

In 2006 he was crowned world champion in Germany. With him, 5 Milanisti: Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Nesta and Gilardino, plus Oddo who would become a Rossonero after a few months. His contribution to the World Cup was fundamental, and Fifa elected him as one of the best player in the tournament. He also scored a goal in the quarter final against Ukraine (3-0), and provided the assist for the third goal by Toni. Also memorable was his shot that hit the crossbar in the semifinal against Germany. Aside from the victory, he also received a special honor: the honorary presidency of Como Calcio.

In his personal trophy cabinet, he can boast: with Juve, the Scudettos of 2002 and 2003 (as well as those of 2005, revoked by the sports justice, and of 2006, later assigned to Inter), and two Italian Supercups (2002 and 2003): with the Bianconeri he also lost the Champions League in Manchester against Milan in 2003; with Barcelona he won one Spanish Supercup. And, obviously, the World Cup, with the national team.

At the moment, Gianluca Zambrotta is preparing to face the European adventure in Austria and Switzerland with the Azzurri shirt.

ACMilan.com

GREAT ENTHUSIASM

“After two years spent abroad, in Spain at Barcelona, returning back to Italy is a big team like Milan is an enormous pleasure for me.” These are the first declarations of Gianluca Zambrotta

MILAN – These are the declarations of the new Rossoneri’s purchase Gianluca Zambrotta during the exclusive interview with ‘Milan Channel’:

Adriano Galliani at Villasimius, during the Rossoneri’s Workshop, declared that Milan strongly wanted Gianluca Zambrotta because he was capable of substitute both Cafu and Serginho, two great losses for the Rossoneri’s squad.

“Managing to substitute both of them together is a bit exaggerated. Cafu and Serginh made the history of a great Milan. Two great players. I have the possibility of playing both on one side and the other, therefore I will give all my commitment and contribution to try and win a lot with this team.”

In many years at the highest level, you have always been a true opponent of Milan. In your sports career, how did you face this team you will be part of?

“There have always been great games, during my days with Juventus they have always been fair and true encounters, and therefore always played until the final minute on the pitch. Now, after two years spent abroad, in Spain at Barcelona, returning back to Italy in a big team like Milan is an enormous pleasure for me. Especially returning to play at great levels with a team like Milan.”

Did you already meet up you and Milan in the past during your career?

“Yes, two years ago before joining Barcelona, but nothing had been agreed. Now we had the possibility to meet up and I can play for Milan.”

How was your experience at Barcelona?

“These have been two positive years, without any regrets, an experience which served me both from the professional and human level. Barcelona is a great team, we were just a bit unlucky, but it can happen.”

Milan is targeting the league, it’s an objective which motivates you?

“Yes, it pleases me to return to play in the Italian league. Milan has not won the Scudetto for a bit now, let’s therefore hope that we can manage again this year.”

Milan has in its squad fifteen Italian players, 5 of which are with the national team at the European Championships. It’s a great club with an Italian soul, this thing pleases you?

“Obviously because nowadays it’s difficult to find many Italian players in a team and I believe that it can be a fundamental aspect both for the national team and a team like Milan.”

What sensation did you have following the first contact with Milan and the directors?

“I received this beautiful news from my agent Beppe Bonetto and then through Doctor Galliani. I repeat, I’m happy to be returning to play in my league and for a great team.”

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...