Bellazon

Lupita Nyong'o
Thumbnail

Michael*

• 9 months later...

Lupita Nyong’o is on the cover of the latest issue of PorterEdit, out now.

Here’s what the 36-year-old Black Panther star had to say…

On feeling protected by big stars in Hollywood when she was first starting out: “Starting with 12 Years a Slave, I was welcomed [in Hollywood] with such warmth. My castmates surrounded me. I don’t know if they are aware of this, but I felt so protected. Sarah Paulson: my God, that girl, she was like everything to me. And Alfre Woodard, she was invaluable. […] Oprah embraced my mom and my brother and invited them to her house for lunch without me. I was just like, ‘Wow, this is an incredibly supportive industry.’ I didn’t feel isolated. Gabrielle Union: we’d gone to a fashion show in France together and she’d been so open and embracing, exchanging phone numbers with me – there was a ‘you need anything kind’ of vibe. I didn’t feel alone within the black community, I didn’t feel alone within the Hollywood community. [Director] Steve McQueen really did look out for me big time. Brad Pitt, same thing.”

On forging a friendship with Jared Leto on the 2014 awards campaign trail: “Jared Leto, he’s still on speed dial, because we were on that journey together and he’s so embracing of me. There was an intimacy that grew from that, that goes beyond the dating rumors, beyond all that.”

On why filming new movie Us left her terrified: “I developed new fears [after working on Us]. I am terrified of my own reflection, which was really tough because I was staying in a house that had mirrors everywhere. My days were so long that when I’d get home from filming and it was time for me to shower, I was half asleep, and because it wasn’t my home, I would come upon my reflection and scream at the top of my lungs.”

For more from Lupita, visit net-a-porter.com.

lupita-nyongo-porter-edit-march-2019-01.jpg lupita-nyongo-porter-edit-march-2019-02.jpg lupita-nyongo-porter-edit-march-2019-03.jpg

Zendaya attends an event to announce her new role as the face of Lancome on Thursday afternoon (February 21) at the Four Seasons Hotel in Beverly Hills, Calif.

The 22-year-old actress was joined at the event by fellow Lancome ambassadresses Lupita Nyong’o and Taylor Hill.

zendaya-new-lancome-ambassadress-lupita-nyongo-02.jpg zendaya-new-lancome-ambassadress-lupita-nyongo-03.jpg zendaya-new-lancome-ambassadress-lupita-nyongo-11.jpg zendaya-new-lancome-ambassadress-lupita-nyongo-12.jpg zendaya-new-lancome-ambassadress-lupita-nyongo-14.jpg zendaya-new-lancome-ambassadress-lupita-nyongo-15.jpg zendaya-new-lancome-ambassadress-lupita-nyongo-16.jpg zendaya-new-lancome-ambassadress-lupita-nyongo-17.jpg zendaya-new-lancome-ambassadress-lupita-nyongo-18.jpg zendaya-new-lancome-ambassadress-lupita-nyongo-32.jpg

Lupita Nyong’o is on the cover of AnOther Magazine‘s newest issue.

On working with Jordan Peele in Us: “I’d walk off a cliff for Jordan Peele. I was madly in love with the mind of Jordan from the Key & Peele days, and I remember putting him on my ‘one day I’ll work with’ list. Then I saw Get Out. I saw it in the cinema five times in one month. I was just so fascinated by it”

On how a meeting with Ralph Fiennes early in her career helped: “I was having lunch with Ralph (Fiennes) one day and he asked me about my interests, and I told him that I wanted to be an actor, I think. He said, ‘Only do it if there’s nothing else you want to do, if there’s nothing else you feel you could do.’ It wasn’t, ‘Here’s my number, I’ll be your mentor.’ It wasn’t that but he gave me a lot of food for thought.”

On Black Panther: “When I think what Black Panther has done for Africans and Africans in their diaspora, it’s this allegorical story about the relationship between Africa and America, reflected in the relationship between T’Challa and Killmonger. It’s a chance for both to consider each other’s perspective in a way that I don’t think popular culture has been effective at doing. It’s really the start of a long-overdue conversation. In no way does it call for answers, but it’s the opportunity to begin to [rexognize] what it is we have in common.”

For more from Lupita, visit AnotherMag.com.

lupita-nyongo-another-magazine-01.thumb.jpg.5e18bca09e22da7e7f94b30bd328dc7f.jpglupita-nyongo-another-magazine-02.thumb.jpg.3c376fccba76ee4ce8d21fc61546f6f1.jpglupita-nyongo-another-magazine-03.thumb.jpg.73b093380a16e1dccee0723fd72cd5ce.jpg

lupita-nyongo-another-magazine-04.jpg lupita-nyongo-another-magazine-05.jpg