Bellazon

Hugh Jackman
Thumbnail

rouge red

Hugh Jackman on Kids, Marriage, and Romantic Surprises

Every once in a while, Hugh Jackman gets the urge to make use of his college journalism courses. “Each time I’m at the Today show, I ask Matt Lauer, ‘When are you hanging it up? When do I start?’” he says with a laugh. “And I know Regis Philbin is leaving, so next time I’m on that show, they may never get me out of the chair.” For now, though, the 42-year-old actor—currently starring in the robot-boxing movie Real Steel—tells Mary Margaret he’s sticking with his day job.

PARADE I hear Sugar Ray Leonard gave you some pointers for Real Steel. What did you learn?

He taught me how to move my feet and throw a punch. But the biggest tip I got from him was that the connection between the boxer and his cornerman, which is what I play in the movie, is kind of the foundation for the whole fight. It’s the difference between winning and -losing—the way the cornerman talks to his boxer, the way he looks at the fight.

You and your wife, Deborra-Lee Furness, have two children, Oscar [11] and Ava [6]. Was it hard playing someone who doesn’t take fatherhood seriously?

On any given day there are things you want to say as a parent that you just don’t. You zip up your mouth. So it’s kind of nice to unleash it all—it was good therapy. But my son is about the same age as my character’s in this film, and that made the emotions closer to the surface. I get misty when I watch it.

When Ava starts dating, how will you treat her suitors?

That’s when playing a role like Wolverine comes in handy. They’ll come by and I’ll casually have the claws in my hand. That would be more effective than a baseball bat!

You’ve been training for the next Wolverine film. Do you have a favorite last splurge the night before dieting?

Here’s what happens: I start with breakfast cereal in the afternoon, because that’s one of my favorite things. And then I have lasagna and ice cream for dinner.

Where do you call home these days?

My real home is Australia, but we currently live in New York. I love being on Broadway [he’s doing a one-man show from Oct. 25 through Jan. 1], but the real reason is that Deb loves the city. Happy wife, happy life.

How do you spend your Sundays?

We have a bit of a sleep-in and then breakfast. I’m the pancake maker. Sometimes I get fancy and do crepes. When I met my wife, I was having a dinner party, and I made crêpes Suzette flambées, which I learned from my dad. It’s a good little seducer.

Did you know she was “the one” right away?

It was like there was a big neon Las Vegas sign in my head pointing at her, saying, Do Not Let This One Go. I’m famously indecisive, but this was crystal clear.

How do you keep your marriage strong?

We have some rules, like never being apart for more than two weeks and always being honest. You also need a bit of surprise, which is my definition of romance.

What’s your most recent romantic surprise?

She’s wearing it on her left wrist—two very nice bracelets. She asked me what they were for, and I said, “Happy Friday.”

What lesson do you hope to pass on to your kids?

Keep searching for that thing you love to do. Once it marries with the thing you’re good at, that is

Hugh Jackman's sweet business deal

(CNN) -- In October 2011, actor Hugh Jackman launched a new company called Laughing Man.

Initially, the business offered a variety of coffees and teas, sold online and in a small cafe in the Tribeca part of New York City. This week, Jackman's expanding his line of offerings into the world of chocolate, just in time for Valentine's Day.

While it's certainly commonplace for entertainment professionals to dive into other business opportunities, Jackman's new business may seem a bit curious if viewed through the lens of his offering items tied to the little pleasures and relaxations of life. Jackman seems to always be shooting a film or booking theater work. The guy can't slow down.

CNN recently spoke with the actor from London about the evolution of his new business, the inspiration behind it and who in his family is helping out. He's currently rehearsing for the upcoming film adaptation of "Les Misérables" and later this year will begin shooting "The Wolverine," reprising his role as Logan/Wolverine in the latest comic adaptation.

CNN: Some people claim that chocolate is an aphrodisiac. Some people don't. Does your chocolate guarantee good loving?

Jackman: That's a good question. I would definitely say -- because I eat a little bit of dark chocolate every day -- I'd definitely say that it makes you feel good. I don't know if it makes me feel like "getting it on." I suppose I could see the connection. It definitely makes you feel good.

CNN: You launched Laughing Man last fall. In the general sense, what's the business plan?

Jackman: Laughing Man worldwide is going to incubate different companies. One of them is coffee and tea, one of them is chocolate. Who knows where we'll go from there. Each of these companies that we create, 100% of the profits go to charities. It's first and foremost about creating good products that people really want. Not that they feel like they should want it, but because they genuinely want it. And then being able to create jobs and support entrepreneuralism.

I was mainly inspired by Paul Newman on the business level and what he did. I read his book about 10 years ago, "Shameless Exploitation in the Pursuit of the Common Good." It's a great book and that's probably where the idea incubated.

CNN: The Newman line, and sorry for the pun, started very organically.

Jackman: That's what inspired me, and I was waiting for the right opportunity. I was in Ethiopia as a part of World Vision and I met and worked with a coffee farmer, Dukale; at the time I was living with them, and it was pretty amazing. It had a great effect on me. So the urgency for me to do something was growing, but I didn't know what.

Now, we actually buy coffee from Dukale where I stayed. Our Espresso blend is actually called Dukale's Dream.

CNN: And everything is sourced with fair trade guidelines and all that?

Jackman: Absolutely. Organic, fairly traded, the chocolates are kosher, you name it. We wanted to be win-win all around. The environment, the growers and the purchasers.

CNN: There's a lot of political aspects surrounding food, not only in the U.S. but on a global level. But there's a market out there for people that care about that stuff.

Jackman: Oh, yeah, hugely. And what's important for us to know who we are buying from. There's some organizations that you're buying from that are like a co-op and you can't really guarantee who you are buying from. We really want to encourage people that you can get a really fair price for quality products, wherever it's grown. That's what we're doing.

Business done well is a win-win all around. It doesn't have to tax the environment or quality or the workers or people. There is a way, under the natural law, for this to work for everybody.

CNN: As an actor, you're constantly busy with work. How much are you involved in the day-to-day or month-to-month of this?

Jackman: Every weekend, I go down [to the store in New York City] with my son and do some work. He's 11. I figure it's good for him to start doing some work. Most of the business is done online. I'm involved as much as I can without it being my full-time job.

For a long time, I've been looking to focus my profile on and this somehow ... I've always been interested in economics and business -- my wife always jokes that I should be taking a briefcase to work -- it's something I genuinely enjoy and it doesn't feel like a burden.

CNN: You're rehearsing "Les Misérables" right now. What's the adaptation going to be like?

Jackman: It's a musical adaptation. Obviously, it's a 1,500 page book, but don't worry, it's not going to be 15 hours long. It's an epic, and we'll be musically close to the musical. Today, I was working on a brand new song that Claude-Michel [schönberg] wrote with Alain Boublil, which was a great thrill for me.

CNN: What's the sound like? Is it modern in any way?

Jackman: Oh, no, the music is largely as it is from the musical. So there's no rap version or blues version. It's going to be what people expect in that way.

CNN: 20th Century Fox just announced a release date for "The Wolverine." What's the game plan?

Jackman: Shooting later this year. "Les Mis" finishes around the beginning of June so we'll take a month down and we'll get started. It's a Japanese saga, I'm very excited about it. It's looking good.

post-3782-1328813012_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Seems like Hugh Jackman has a busy schedule: after Les Mis and The Wolverine wrap, he’ll be jumping into the role of Keller in Prisoners. He was linked to the Aaron Guzikowski-penned project back in 2009, but the film lost some steam power along the way. Now with Denis Villeneuve on board to direct and Hugh to star as the lead, the movie seems well on its way. Production is currently scheduled to take place in early 2013, with a release date in November the same year via Warner Brothers.

Deadline reports more information, including a summary:

Written by Aaron Guzikowski (Contraband), story revolves around a small-town carpenter named Keller whose young daughter and best friend are kidnapped. After the cops fail to find them, Keller takes the law into his own hands, but in the process runs up against the big city detective assigned to the case.

[Alcon Entertainment co-founders and co-CEOs] Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson are producing, along with 8:38 Productions’ Kira Davis and Madhouse Entertainment’s Adam Kolbrenner. Ed McDonnell and John Stark will executive produce.

States Johnson and Kosove: “We are ecstatic that Hugh will take the lead in this exciting thriller. We can think of no better ‘Keller’ — an everyman who rises to an occasion most of us could not imagine possible. Denis’s rare directing gifts are superbly matched to this material, that is both challenging and explores complex themes in a commercially appealing narrative.”

:clap:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
WOW man is so hot when he is unshaven

I know right his stubble kills me :surrender:

my FAVE movies with him are the X-men ones and Austrialia, DAMN he was so HOT as a cowboy

I :heart: :heart: Australia, Real Steel, and the Prestige.

But not this look, he better win an oscar for Les Mis :laugh:

post-3782-1334360629_thumb.jpg

Hugh Jackman and Deborra-Lee Furness celebrate wedding anniversary with reception

Hugh Jackman and Deborra-Lee Furness consider the Hudson River Park along the West Side Highway their second home. The couple opened their West Village apartment Wednesday night for a reception for top donors for this year’s Hudson River Park gala May 29, for which the two will serve as honorary co-chairs. Jackman and Furness celebrated not only the Village green space, but also marked their 16th wedding anniversary. Guests including Lauren Bush Lauren, G ary Ginsberg, Michael Novogratz, Lisa Silverstein and Kelly Sugarman all toasted the couple. The gala will be at Pier 26, across from North Moore Street in TriBeCa, hosted by Gayle King.