Bellazon

Daniela Braga
Thumbnail

DanniCullen

photographed by Danielle Kosann

Model Daniela Braga

On Meditation, Fashion Month, and Supporting Women

NYFW may be over, but fashion month is just beginning. We love this time of year because it means that we get to talk to some of our favorite models. This week, we’re chatting with Daniela Braga; you’ll definitely recognize this Brazilian beauty from her Harper’s Bazaar and Elle covers as well as her campaigns for Victoria’s Secret and Givenchy (among many other things). We asked Braga all about her beauty essentials, pre-shoot routines, and workouts – and it’s exactly the inspiration you need to start this week off right…

From start to finish, what would be your ideal food day?

One thing my close friends know about me is that I am a foodie! I enjoy eating a great meal, especially with family and friends. My perfect food day would include great company, lively music, a festive atmosphere and conversation. My guests and I would enjoy some of my favorites: fruit salad and bacon with fresh orange juice for breakfast, and traditional Brazilian food like rice with beans, meat, and a salad for dinner.

How do you practice beauty from the inside out?

Meditation is my beauty from the inside out ritual. It’s not always traditional meditation, but I work at it to keep myself centered. There are some amazing places in NYC to try different forms of meditation, like Bikram Yoga NYC. I also want to experience The Chopra Center in California.

What are your morning and nightly beauty routines?

I love my sleep, so the morning is about cleansing, refreshing and hydrating, so I look alert and prepared for the day. My nighttime ritual is trying out all of the new products I have found. I’m a beauty junkie! I love both fun finds from local drug stores and luxurious, high prestige products. Right now, I am addicted to moisturizers (because it’s been so icy cold in New York), and masks to keep my skin clean, clear and bright. I will also be forever obsessed with caring for my nails. I never go out to get them done – I do them myself! It’s like meditation for me.

At night, I shower and wipe my skin with Simple wipes to remove any excess eye makeup. I love a touch of Kopari coconut oil, and then I play with the Iluminage BeautySKIN Smoothing Laser and the GloPro microstimulation tool. I then apply a light moisturizer like Neutrogena and slather Kopari coconut melt all over, especially on my hands and feet. I always use a Christophe Robin detangling brush because it’s like a massage for my scalp, and then I finish up with Vichy eye cream and a fresh black tea mask at night. If it’s winter in NYC and I haven’t been to a beach in a while, I might use some of my Miriam Quevedo gold hair oil on my skin and body to create a soft glow or mix a drop or two of my Tan-Luxe with a little Aveeno moisturizer to create a warm glow on my shoulders and chest.

Do you follow any diets or health regimens? What are they?

I don’t believe in dieting per se. It’s more about an overall lifestyle that I can keep up with on a daily basis. I just try to eat as healthy as possible and drink a lot of coconut water. It’s the best hydrator that I have found yet! I sleep as much as I can, when I can.

Are there any foods you eliminate?

I don’t believe in eliminating foods. It creates cravings. I would rather enjoy almost everything in a balanced manner.

What are your favorite essential oils? Face or body oils?

As a girl that was raised by the beach, who enjoys swimming and sun, coconut oil is my favorite. You can use it to cook, on your skin, in your hair and more!

How do your start your day during NYFW?

Fashion week is like any other shoot day for me. I have early call times when I’m booked for a show, and I have to keep my stamina and energy up. I start my day by making sure I look clean, refreshed and healthy (even if I am exhausted). To up my energy, I start my morning with great music. Right now I’m really stuck on Drake’s new album. I am also really interested in infrared sauna right now. I want to try Higher Dose.

What are your favorite makeup products?

Charlotte Tilbury masks, Kopari coconut body glow, Chanel lip rouge, and Chanel nail lacquer.

What’s always in your NYFW survival bag?

It is not in my bag, but on my shoulders – a gorgeous Saks Potts coat during February fashion week to keep warm! I love to carry everything in a WANT Les Essentials men’s inspired leather toiletry bag, I always have a bottle of water, and either Bose or Master & Dynamic wireless headphones (these are a must), my phone, a charger, my Malone Souliers Marianne flats, Neutrogena clear skin makeup remover wipes, lotion, and a mini bottle of my favorite Chanel fragrance.

What is your favorite recipe to make at home for dinner?

Chicken soup. It’s my go-to!

What are your ‘cheat day’ go-tos? In other words, what do you splurge on?

Ice cream and chocolate. I have a major sweet tooth.

Where do you love to travel? What won’t you travel without?

I love to travel home to Brazil to see my family. It’s hard to be so far away from them. I live for FaceTime; it really helps me to feel closer to them. Paris is my favorite vacation destination. I loved my time working with Ricardo Tisci there. He was one of the first major designers I connected with, and he made it feel so welcoming. When I travel, I won’t go without the new Raden charging roll on suitcases - the matte black is my favorite. I need to get my hands on a large one! I also always bring Obagi facial cleanser, L’Occitane almond oil cleanser, my wireless headphones, an eye mask, and Tom Ford illuminating powder for an on-the-go glow .

What’s your workout regimen like?

My workouts kick into high gear right before the Victoria’s Secret casting and show every year. Otherwise, I am pretty laid back about it. I have a very simple diet and my only rule is not to eat after 8pm.

What workouts do you find overrated?

Anything that takes too long in the gym! I don’t want to spend all day there, unless I am doing it with friends. But I would love to try Bodies by P! He creates the perfect Victoria’s Secret booty and legs. I would also love to try Body by Simone because I love to dance.

What are the best foods and drinks for skin and hair? The worst?

My favorite is coconut water; it’s perfect for skin and body, and is the best hydration. The worst is white chocolate, because has too much sugar and bad fat.

Do you have vitamins or supplements you take? What are they?

I take vitamin D; it’s good for your skin!

Advice to girls looking to feel better about their bodies…

I learned how to love my body, and that is the perfect beginning. I learned that nobody is the same and this is the beauty of the world. If you love yourself, you are going to have so much confidence and power in your life.

What’s the issue you feel most passionately about right now and why?

I care most about supporting young women. I grew up in Brazil, around some of the most beautiful women in the world, in a society where showcasing your body is a very natural thing – but not everyone looks the same. I now work in an industry where looks are glorified, but the fashion industry of today is about awareness, focus, intelligence and coming together to become stronger. I am thankful for this. It is so important to look beyond just aesthetic to really see the power and beauty of another woman’s character. I want other young women that have dreams of working in fashion to remember this. It takes a lot of guidance and support to not get discouraged as young girls – discouraged by the fact that we think we need to fit into what we see around us. I hope to encourage young women to live outside aesthetic and cultural boxes they encounter.

In the same vein as the new black in fashion, what is the new potato right now?

Quinoa is the new potato

3FHbICWl.jpg YpvdCmNJ.jpg eiXuhuFP.jpg yE0OSmo2.jpg OE52MaiN.jpg 1ILvGNsV.jpg nG5BmQV3.jpg 7YSpZ6A0.jpg uh1ELdaB.jpg 6aF2T4AK.jpg Uhdp4byY.jpg tPDBxMGo.jpg LLTibcoW.jpg JyQG7jHd.jpg O4FAtcnd.jpg h83KZY6c.jpg

source: thenewpotato

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...