Bellazon

Sasha Pivovarova
Thumbnail

purple

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I translated her interview about her art with Vogue Paris.

When did you start painting?

I’ve always done it, I remember myself drawing, looking for new colours and new shapes. I scrawled a lot in school but it became more serious at the university. During all those years of traveling, I was constantly drawing in my leather notebooks, which kind of became personal diaries filled with drawings, memories and notes. Then, I tried a bigger format, putting more efforts in my art and spending more time in my studio. It has been seven years now.

Do you have a specific technique?

More than a technique, above all, I have my own style that distinguishes me from other artists. I am an expressionist. When I’m painting, I have a total liberty. I don’t have limits. I don’t give importance to proportions neither to lines, I experience a lot. I can do a series of simple and unachieved drawings, but they can perfectly express the emotions that I wanted to share with the people who will see them. And sometimes, I work for months on the same canvas, constantly adding more layers until I’m satisfied with the result. I need to be satisfied with the final result. My only rule when I’m painting is to not have rules. That’s what gives me total liberty to express myself. I take my equipment, play with it, and then suddenly, faces and looks are starting to appear. I use different formats according to the subject. I paint, I draw, I make electronic installations, but I never really know what my work will be like in the end. It’s always different.

What is the starting point of an artwork? 

As soon as I feel an emotion, a feeling or an idea that I need to express, I go to my studio. It’s a white painted room with a canvas on the wall, I take a basket filled with paint and put my favourite songs on, then I start to work.

What nourishes your art?

My life in every way in terms of emotions, feelings, sufferings, joys, places I visited, people I met, my thoughts, books I read...It all plays a big role in my art. In the same way that my art reflects my life, my life nourishes my art.

Do you have a specific ritual when you’re working?

No, I can work everywhere no matter the conditions and use the equipment that is available in that moment, if I’m feeling inspired.

What is a successful artwork?

The good artworks are the ones that have an impact on those who contemplate it. They catch the emotions and feelings from the artist and create an inspiring connection with their spectators.

A mistake to never make when painting?

A blue sky, green grass and a yellow sun.

An artwork you wish you’d own?

Primavera from Botticelli.

http://m.vogue.fr/mode/mannequins/story/les-mannequins-artistes-qui-sont-aussi-peintres/746

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...