Bellazon

Erin O' Connor
Thumbnail

miyako

and

She has no desire to give up modelling, but she does do other things. She's writing. She loved the process of making This Model Life. Prime-time TV exposure has changed things, she says. She was a question on The Weakest Link and more people recognise her now. A woman came up to her recently and said: 'I saw you on telly last night looking as shagged then as you do now,' and she thought that was brilliant. Less brilliantly, the much-celebrated revelation that Erin takes the cash offered her for first-class travel, downgrades to Economy, and banks the difference, will, she thinks, limit her opportunities to pull the same trick again. 'Why did I say that?' she asks. 'What was I thinking of?'

Erin O'Connor's entire life has been directed by the way she looks. Her character has been substantially informed by it. She's entirely likeable precisely because of it, and not, as you might expect, in spite of it. How strange. But then maybe when you're forced to confront the fall-out of that face and that body every day, and required to process other people's extreme reactions towards you, it begins to make sense. And, whatever else, Erin O'Connor is truly at peace with her imperfect beauty. 'It's a relief,' she says, like it's quite the most obvious thing in the world. 'How awful to be a perfect beauty! How confusing! God. Can you imagine?'

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...