Bellazon

Boardwalk Empire

LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE

Sadly mised it this week due to vaca, cant.wait kev informed.me of some key parts, at my asking, lollll. Have to agree about mag caving lolll, cause.for all of it, I do like her with nukkie, as for nelson, then man is down right odd and creepy, means hes a damn good actor to pull that kodos to him

Did you want a link where you can watch the episode online? :) I watched it online

Boardwalk Empire Episode 8 Recap: Back in Black

It's summertime on the boardwalk, and the city is teeming with tourists, the beaches a carnival of families and young people. And while there's cheer everywhere, Nucky Thompson is in his darkest hour. An attempt has been made on his life, he's under indictment, and at the beginning of Episode 8, his cruel father faces a heart attack, brought on by the subpoena of Eli. He's fragile and shaken, and Margaret reaches out to him in his distress, urging him to walk away from his life of crime.

Others are feeling the shake up as well. In a few short scenes, it becomes clear that Torio, Rothstein and Nucky T. are all too aware of the subversive behavior of their underlings. Torio takes a fatherly approach with the dim-witted Al, urging him to "leave him out" of Al's hair-brained schemes. Dressed in a gorgeous beige linen three-piece and bowtie at the racetrack, Rothstein drops a flawless line on Lucky & Co. after they blusteringly deny knowledge of Nucky's assassination attempt. "(I smell) Manure," Rothstein says, "but what do you expect when you do business in a barn?" In the end, the three powerhouses meet secretly to discuss the situation, and Rothstein delivers the wise word to Nucky. "Do nothing," he says, "when you have no move."

Not long after, Nucky begins to form a plan. While the details are unclear, it's sure to be a long, patient con to take back his power, beginning with a false gesture of submission.

There is some great summer fashion tonight …quot; the juxtaposition of Rothstein's stunning summer linens, the straw pork pies abounding through town, and the black and grey of the Thompsons as they 'mourn' their father's passing.

Most important, though, are two black suits. Nucky comes to meet Jimmy and declare his resignation, noble in a razor-sharp double-breasted funeral suit. Jimmy is also in black, poised for greatness, but showing signs of immature and violent emotions. Both gentlemen have come a long way since we met them …quot; in Easter pastel silks and rough blue woolens, respectively. Now they come together in black, seemingly as equals. But as Eli says to a drunken Jimmy: It would be foolish to ever underestimate Nucky Thompson.

post-35528-1321543363_thumb.jpg

About to be some problems in A.C. Dunn Purnsley is still around, and now he is Chalky's ally. That guy thought he could treat his workers bad just because they were black. He tried to fire Purnsley, but the other workers have his back. Atlantic City don't run if the blacks refuse to work. Now we see how much power Clalky really has.

Meanwhile Nucky is in the business of dealing guns to the Irish and hoping to get Whiskey in return. He makes the trip to Belfast, but now Joe McGarrigle seems have changed his mind, upon hearing the English will allow Ireland to be a free state. Nucky says, "Are you really gonna let me leave empty-handed?", and McGarrigle pretty much says that he is. However, when Nucky is driving away, he hear gunshots. He asks what that is all about, and the guy in the car says "You deal with me now". Owen Slater, who accompanied Nucky on the trip, asked him if he knew that was gonna happen. Owen acknowledges that he did. Nucky tells him that Owen better let him know from now on if he knows something, he better tell him. "I don't like secrets", Nucky tells him.

Know I know this is a little off topic, but Sweet Lu, what with this "arse" stuff? You're from Boston, not England.

Boardwalk Empire Episode 9 Recap: Histories Collide

A bit of history might help to best understand the themes of Sunday night Boardwalk Empire …quot; and to shed some light on some sharp contrasts in style. First, in 1920s Ireland, Nucky arrives. The remaining ripples of the Irish War of Independence are spreading through the British Isles. Both sides agreed to a ceasefire in 1921, but as with any uneasy truce, violence continues today. Still, Nucky takes advantage of the situation as usual: They need high-powered machine guns, he needs fine Irish whiskey.

The new setting also presents a culture shock to Nucky. The IRA soldiers are austere men, with dedication to their passionate fight for freedom. John, the acting leader, is gaunt, minimalist, cool, and clearly uncomfortable with Nucky's mercenary mission. And the juxtaposition of Nucky's finery and the IRA's puritanical black-and-white brings this personality clash into higher visual contrast. There is something quite modern about the stern cut of John's garb. It's a serious style not to be overlooked by the viewer, to say nothing of political affiliations.

The second piece of history addresses the black community of Atlantic City. Knowing that Jimmy would not have the resources to handle a race strike, one of Nucky's last power plays before leaving office is to pull the switch on Chalky White's disgruntled constituency. The movement kicks off, headed by the menacing, muscular Dunn Pernsley. When Pernsley isn't inciting rebellion in his kitchen whites, he's a royal peacock, strutting into Chalky's office in a chambray waistcoat, plaid suit, and green Stetson. He's cocky, flamboyant, and gorgeous in his marginalized state. Interesting, too, since it's a way of dress we've seen Nucky sport since day one …quot; a kind of bold ownership of the styles of the day, underscored by daring color and loads of swagger.

It's nice to see these moments happen simultaneously on the show, especially when it comes to the clothes. Both parties, subjugated by the societies around them, show rebellion and community through costume. Very different ways of dressing, sure, but both striking and meaningful …quot; to the context of the show, and to culture and history that's still relevant today.

post-35528-1322589072_thumb.jpg

Boardwalk Empire' quick recap: Arnold Rothstein makes his move, Sunday's episode of "Boardwalk Empire" was written by Steve Kornacki and directed by Brad Anderson. Between the looming election and the damage control following an attempt on his brother Eli's life, Atlantic City Treasurer Nucky Thompson (Steve Buscemi) seems to be spinning many of his plates in the air.

Some key events:

• A matured Jimmy Darmody (Michael Pitt) returns to Atlantic City after spending months in Chicago only to find Agent Nelson Van Alden (Michael Shannon) waiting in the wings ready to arrest him on five counts of murder.

• Margaret (Kelly Macdonald) decides to helps Madame Jeunet (Anna Katarina) when she tells her that Nucky is charging her double rent and may have to close the shop.

• As a result of a weakening political machine, Nucky decides to shake things up as he positions a new Atlantic City Mayor and acting sheriff.• In New York, Nucky Thompson-rivals the D'Alessio brothers are introduced to Arnold Rothstien (Michael Stuhlberg) and hatch a plan against the Atlantic City Treasurer.

"I understand that you’re interested in the liquor business," Rothstein asks them. He goes on to say that he can only see going into the bootlegging business one way -- with good hooch, not the diluted "rot gut" kind.

"There's a growing demand for good whiskey in the United States," Rothstein tells them. "And I'm not talking about the swill you stirred up in your chamber pot. I'm talking about the best scotch from Britain."

He wants to set up a business to import scotch and have ships with crews waiting outside the three mile limit so all they have to do is smuggle it ashore.

Rothstein says that the ports in Atlantic City are ideal for their kind of distribution. The only snag? "The man that runs that city," Rothstein tells them.

"Normally I would make a deal with such a man," he tells them. "But I find Nucky Thompson greedy and unreasonable."

Before they leave, Rothstein has the D'Alessios and Doyle sign life insurance policies to ensure he won't get chiseled by them.

"Think of it as an incentive -- not to screw things up," Luciano says.

Boardwalk Empire' quick recap: Arnold Rothstein makes his move, Sunday's episode of "Boardwalk Empire" was written by Steve Kornacki and directed by Brad Anderson. Between the looming election and the damage control following an attempt on his brother Eli's life, Atlantic City Treasurer Nucky Thompson (Steve Buscemi) seems to be spinning many of his plates in the air.

Some key events:

• A matured Jimmy Darmody (Michael Pitt) returns to Atlantic City after spending months in Chicago only to find Agent Nelson Van Alden (Michael Shannon) waiting in the wings ready to arrest him on five counts of murder.

• Margaret (Kelly Macdonald) decides to helps Madame Jeunet (Anna Katarina) when she tells her that Nucky is charging her double rent and may have to close the shop.

• As a result of a weakening political machine, Nucky decides to shake things up as he positions a new Atlantic City Mayor and acting sheriff.• In New York, Nucky Thompson-rivals the D'Alessio brothers are introduced to Arnold Rothstien (Michael Stuhlberg) and hatch a plan against the Atlantic City Treasurer.

"I understand that you’re interested in the liquor business," Rothstein asks them. He goes on to say that he can only see going into the bootlegging business one way -- with good hooch, not the diluted "rot gut" kind.

"There's a growing demand for good whiskey in the United States," Rothstein tells them. "And I'm not talking about the swill you stirred up in your chamber pot. I'm talking about the best scotch from Britain."

He wants to set up a business to import scotch and have ships with crews waiting outside the three mile limit so all they have to do is smuggle it ashore.

Rothstein says that the ports in Atlantic City are ideal for their kind of distribution. The only snag? "The man that runs that city," Rothstein tells them.

"Normally I would make a deal with such a man," he tells them. "But I find Nucky Thompson greedy and unreasonable."

Before they leave, Rothstein has the D'Alessios and Doyle sign life insurance policies to ensure he won't get chiseled by them.

"Think of it as an incentive -- not to screw things up," Luciano says.

Whoa, dude, you're going back to LAST SEASON!!!

It looks like the final of the second season will be very strong. The three last episodes were very good. I must say that the script author of that series is someone who must have a really knowledge about what he writes about. Those scenes when Nucky fired his lawyer and hired new one was real. I think today a lot of things are very similiar. I really like how the lawyers are portrayed in Boardwalk. Maybe its harsh view of them, but If you are working with gangsters and you're letting them to be almost friends with you it can bring you much trouble. At the end the Munya Horowitz is strong character. The actor who plays him knows how to show that to viewers. I still can decide if the Sons of Anarchy or the Boardwalk are better.

That shouldn't be a hard decision. Many of the show's characters here are based on real people. There have been many movies done about Lucky Luciano, Meyer Lanksy, and Al Capone, but we never really saw they started out. And I doubt Arnold Rothstein and Johnny Torrio had any movies made about them. Micky Doyle, Waxey Gordon, as well as the show's star, Nucky Thompson, is also based on a real person.

Writing real I meant realistic. I don't know exactly US gangs history so I only recognized Al Capone as true person. But organised crime are similiar, and some things showed in Boardwalk are happening everyday in similar way even in Poland 2011.

Writing real I meant realistic. I don't know exactly US gangs history so I only recognized Al Capone as true person. But organised crime are similiar, and some things showed in Boardwalk are happening everyday in similar way even in Poland 2011.

i agree. theya re doing a fantastic job of making it feel like it is more than jsut a 1920's gangster show. they try and make it feel relevant to today as well

You know, many infamous U.S. gangsters are actually of Polish decent. The ones featured on Boardwalk Empire so far has been Meyer Lanksy, Waxey Gordon, and Micky Doyle, all real people. There are many more. You can go to Wikipedia and look it up.