Bellazon

Ángel di María
Thumbnail

Chic_Raul_ista

Di Maria: "Some men won't be able to play, but it won't be difficult for the coach to come up with a starting lineup"

Edu Bueno / Translation by Michael J. O'Donnell

Angel di Maria addressed the media after training. The player said the squad is united and that he believes the lineup on Sunday will be strong despite the absence of regular starters.

"Things are working out for me. I never thought about becoming a starter and playing in practically in every game because Real Madrid has great players. I was lucky enough to score goals and I've made sacrifices to show the coach just how anxious I am to play. He gave me the chance to be a starter and the confidence I needed to be calm on the pitch. Things have gradually become easier. I have a very good rapport with him and I hope it stays that way."

"The squad feels united since we all travelled to Los Angeles. The Club has come up with a great, strong group, ready to face the music in every championship. This is a tight group of players and Cristiano Ronaldo is an impressive footballer."

"The match against Sevilla will be important. Some men will miss the game, but the coach won't find it difficult to come up with a starting lineup."

"I felt very comfortable against Valencia. The coach decides the position I play in. We just play the game. I cannot replace Benzema or Higuain because they are both very good. I have other qualities. We only think about winning, winning and winning, and I hope we reach far in the end."

"What matters is that we defeat whichever team we are paired with in the Last 16 of the Champions League. If Lass and Benzema prefer to face Olympique Lyonnais, then so do I."

* Enlarge text

* Reduce text

* Ver en tuenti

* compartir

o del.icio.us del.icio.us

o digg digg

o technorati technorati

o yahoo yahoo

o meneame meneame

Real Madrid 1-0 Sevilla

Angel Di Maria struck a late winner as Real Madrid overcame the sending off of Ricardo Carvalho to defeat Sevilla.

Di Maria scored in the 77th minute after Madrid had been reduced to 10 men following Carvalho's 63rd-minute dismissal, and that proved to be the only goal of the game as Jose Mourinho's men trimmed Barcelona's lead at the summit back to two points.

Sevilla, who have now lost five in succession in La Liga, also finished the match without their full quota of players after Mouhamadou Dabo was dismissed in stoppage time for a straight red card.

Aside from the two dismissals, referee Carlos Clos Gomez also showed 12 yellow cards - nine to Madrid players - in a game with plenty of ill feeling, while the backroom staff on the two benches also vented their anger at each other towards the end of the first half.

There was little to get the blood going on the pitch in the opening 45 minutes however, although both goalkeepers were called into making saves.

Sevilla custodian Andres Palop awkwardly deflected Di Maria's 25-yard effort behind for a corner while on the stroke of half-time Madrid's Iker Casillas dived to his right to parry Ndri Romaric's free-kick.

Sevilla defender Julien Escude also glanced a header just wide of the far post following a corner while former Madrid player Alvaro Negredo was looking dangerous on his return to the Bernabeu, but otherwise it was defences on top during the first period.

Negredo really should have out Sevilla in front in the 57th minute but he missed a great chance.

Luis Fabiano's through-ball left the Spain international one-on-one with Casillas, but he thumped the ball over the crossbar with his less-favoured right foot.

That was a huge let-off for Madrid, but it was not the end of the home side's problems as they were reduced to 10 men six minutes later.

Carvalho, having already been booked in the first half, was shown a second yellow following an aerial challenge with Negredo which saw both players clash heads.

That left Madrid in serious danger of seeing their 14-match winning streak at the Bernabeu come to an end, plus Mourinho's remarkable record of not having lost a home league match in over eight years, but the dismissal actually seemed to spur the hosts into action.

Pepe had a half-chance to put Madrid ahead when he reached a corner in front of Palop, but he failed to get a decent contact on his header and Sevilla survived.

The visitors were not so fortunate in the 77th minute though as the 10 men of Madrid got themselves in front.

Di Maria kept the ball in play just before it crossed the goalline and then, after Palop had come out to meet him, he twisted and turned before slotting the ball past the veteran Sevilla custodian from a tight angle.

That would end up being the match-winner, although there was still time for more yellow cards to be shown as tensions grew.

There was also a red handed out with Dabo given his marching orders for kicking Di Maria.