Bellazon

Ángel di María
Thumbnail

Chic_Raul_ista

New Real Madrid winger Angel di Maria admits he could not believe Jose Mourinho was interested in signing him and claims he will always be grateful to the Portuguese coach for having brought him to the Santiago Bernabeu.Argentina international Di Maria became Mourinho's first signing as Madrid coach when a deal was signed from Benfica after the World Cup finals."I am excited to be here and just want it to start,'' he told AS. "I am relaxed and will rest during these days before starting pre-season training. I couldn't believe (he wanted to sign me). It's something good for me and also very special at the same time."I will always be grateful that he said he wanted me to come to Real Madrid. I will try to give everything on and off the pitch to prove he made the right decision to bring me here. With the players that are here it will be very special to play with them all."I have always watched them on television. It will be very special to play with Cristiano and Kaka. I have come from winning a title at Benfica, now I want to win here in Madrid and I will give everything to achieve as much as possible."

Q: Why are you a “canalla” (scoundrel)?

A: I played as a kid with Rosario Central, starting from when I was seven. Thanks to the canallas, I’m now with Madrid.

Q: Explain to the readers of AS what that nickname means.

A: Many years ago [in the 1920s], Newell’s Old Boys wanted to play a charity game for lepers, but Rosario Central refused to join in. That’s why Newell’s is now called the lepers and Rosario the canallas.

Q: You now live in La Finca, a very different place from where you grew up, on Perdriel Street.

A: That’s the place where I was born and where I met my best friends. I have it tattooed on my forearm. Six of us have the same tattoo. Everyone that I love is in the Churrasco neighborhood.

Q: Sometimes, when a footballer makes it, he forgets his old friends…

A: Not me. For me, Alex, Nico, Diego, Mauri, Jeremías and Bryan are everything, along with my family and my girlfriend Jorgelina.

Q: Is it true that your first transfer was at the age of 7, from Atlético Torito to Rosario, and was in exchange for 25 balls?

(Laughs) Yes, but I think it was for a little more than that.

Q: Time flies. And now you play for Madrid…

A: It seems like I was just starting yesterday, when my agent Andrés Miranda came to the house of my parents. I debuted in the Primera at the age of 17, and at 19 I debuted with Benfica, and now Real Madrid. Everything has gone by very quickly: the U-20 World Cup, the Olympic Games, the World Cup in South Africa.

Q: And how much do you owe to your family?

A: A doctor told my mother (Diana) to sign me up for some sport at the age of three because I was a very nervous, jumpy kid. And thanks to the advice of this doctor, I’m here now. My father was a coalman [carbonero in Spanish, like Sara's last name!]. He worked with coal for 16 years, but when I started becoming successful and went to Europe, I told him that I didn’t want him to work anymore.

Q: Did you work with your father?

A: Yes. I helped to receive and dole out the coal. I helped him from the time I was 13 until I made my debut in the Primera.

Q: Your footballing father is Kily González, no?

A: Partly, yes. I speak with him a lot. I played a year with Kily in Rosario Central, and his advice and experience helped me a lot. He told me to always have the ambition to go far and to always want more. That’s what he did, and that’s how he got to Valencia and Inter.

Q: What have your teammates told you about your new stadium?

A: They haven’t told me anything. I was there in the Bernabéu last year, watching a team that had lost 4-0 and had to make a comeback in order to pass to the next round.

Q: The day of Alcorcón?

A: That’s it!

Q: You were watching the game in the stadium?

A: Yes, because I was with the Argentine national team.

Q: What a game you saw!

A: The fans are tough, but when things go well, the people encourage a lot.

Q: Your compatriot Gago has had a bad time with the whistles from the Bernabéu crowd.

A: Yes, I know. The public is very demanding. What happened with Alcorcón was hard. I know that they whistled at Fer, but things like that happen.

Q: Good luck tonight.

A: Thank you. I believe that playing in the Santiago Bernabéu will be something amazing.

• 2 weeks later...