Bellazon

Jose Mourinho
Thumbnail

madristar

"Guardiola over Mourinho any day!"

Barcelona president Sandro Rosell claimed he will choose Pep Guardiola over Jose Mourinho any day.

While it is true that both managers have very different footballing philosophy, many will find it hard to pick the better out of the two.

But not Rosell, who believes Barcelona and Guardiola are made for each other while Mourinho is simply contracted to Real Madrid.

"Pep represents Barca sentimentally, while Mourinho only represents Madrid professionally. And Mourinho is a lot more expensive than Pep," Rosell told Tv3.

"Every day that goes by, I like our model more, and I like it even better with Pep. We are delighted to have him here."

Guardiola has recently signed a one-year extension at the Nou Camp.

Mourinho bemoans fixture pile-up

Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho has slammed the Spanish football authorities for his side's fixture mess.

Mourinho's side had a tough fixture earlier in the week against Lyon in the UEFA Champions League which ended 1-1, but returned to La Liga action on Saturday, where they played out a goalless draw against Deportivo La Coruna.

Following Saturday's two dropped points, Barcelona have now stretched their lead at the top of the table to seven points, following their 3-0 win against Real Mallorca.

The outspoken Mourinho has now come forward to criticize La Liga officials for their fixture scheduling, suggesting that playing on Saturday severely hindered Real's match preparation.

As reported by the Sun, Mourinho said: "I don't know what would have happened if we had played on Sunday but it would have been fairer."

"We could have given an extra day off to those who were most tired, we could have trained an extra day."

The Portuguese's comments come as a slight surprise considering playing two games in five days is nothing new for the Real manager, especially from his days at managing Chelsea, where they regularly played midweek European games, before having to recover in time to play on Saturday, which is when most of the Barclays Premier League matches are held.

Having seen Barcelona capture the La Liga crown for the last two seasons, Mourinho will not be willing to give up this season's fight yet, a sentiment echoed by Real director Jorge Valdano.

"Nobody gives up on the league in February so we will keep on fighting and see if we have a bit more luck in the next few matches."

With Real Madrid and Barcelona yet to play at the at the Santiago Bernabeu this season, Mourinho will be hoping to cut the gap between the two sides by then, making their clash on April 17 absolutely pivotal in this season's title race.

Mourinho: Depor had ten defenders

Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho has refused to blame his players for the goalless draw against Deportivo on Saturday.

The result has put Real's hope of winning back the La Liga crown from Barcelona in jeopardy - with the Catalans winning their game against Real Mallorca to open up a seven-point gap a the top.

Real's failure to make a breakthrough seemed to frustrate their travelling fans, but Mourinho refused to lay any blame at his players' feet, who hit the woodwork twice through Emmanuel Adebayor and Cristiano Ronaldo.

"Deportivo practically didn't touch the ball in the second half and we played against a goalkeeper and ten defenders. All that matters is the outcome, but I cannot criticize my players," he told the club's official website.

"One team played to win and the other worked very hard to take one point. The team that was after the point got what it wanted. I think it would have been fair had the match ended 0-1."

The Portuguese did not see Depor's tactics as negative and even praised their performance in holding on to a point.

"Deportivo can play however they want. I have nothing to say in that respect. I am sure they are pleased with the point. They played their match and worked hard," he admitted.

"If they play this way in every match, I am sure they would be competing for a Europa League spot. Hats off to them, but there is no comparison with other matches."

However, Mourinho did feel that the schedule of matches did not favour his side - Real having been in Champions League action on Tuesday.

"I will always try to defend the interests of Real Madrid and its fans. The schedule is decided by people who know what they are doing. Playing on Sunday would have been the normal thing to do.

"The people who drew up the calendar knew what they were doing. People laugh behind my back, but I will continue speaking out against a situation that is clear to everyone. It is something that is impossible to deny, but that's a whole other matter."

While most pundits are now predicting a canter for Barcelona to a third consecutive domestic title, the redoubtable los Blancos manager refuses to give up.

"Seven points is a lot, but mathematics play an important role and we will continue as long as it's possible."

Their La Liga hopes may be on the verge of dissipating, but Real are still very much in the fray on two fronts. Their 1-1 away draw against Lyon makes them favourites to enter the quarter-finals of the Champions League for the first time after seven years, while a Copa del Rey summit clash with Barca in April awaits as well.

Mourinho: “We must be patient with Kakà”

From realmadrid.com,

Jose Mourinho talked about tomorrow’s clash with Malaga in the press conference following this morning’s training session.

“Kaka hasn’t played for six months, but it has actually been longer because he hasn’t been in optimum form for a year and half. He relies on his talent and speed, which doesn’t make this situation easy for him. I didn’t expect him to be the Ballon d’Or winner he was as soon as he recovered. He is going through a natural process and we must continue to support him. He is a fantastic guy and a great player. We must be patient and allow him to work with no pressure. I don’t put any pressure on him.”

All 20 of the healthy players were called up for the game, which will be Manuel Pellegrini’s return to the Bernabéu after he was fired at the end of last season. I hope he gets a good reception from us in appreciation of all that he did last year.

Goalkeepers: Casillas, Adán, Dudek.

Defenders: Carvalho, Sergio Ramos, Albiol, Arbeloa, Marcelo.

Midfielders: Xabi Alonso, Özil, Canales, Di María, Lass, Kaká, Granero, Pedro León, Gago.

Forwards: Cristiano, Benzema, Adebayor.

Real can move for Parejo, Callejon

Real Madrid want to bring former players Daniel Parejo and Jose Callejon back to the club at the end of the season.

Both were youth players at the club before they moved on to make their names away from the Santiago Bernabeu.

Parejo, at age 21, is currently plying his trade with Getafe and has developed into one of the most exciting prospects in La Liga. The slightly older Callejon, at age 24, has also enjoyed a stellar season but on the flanks for at Espanyol.

Real have the option to buy back both players.

"[Daniel] Parejo and [Jose] Callejon are two possibilities we are contemplating in June," Real Madrid president Florentino Perez told radio station Cadena Ser.

Reports in Spain suggest that Real can buy Parejo back for around €5million, while Callejon would cost a little more at €8million.

During his press conference, Mou was in an offensive mood. He once again criticized those who decide the schedule of games, and it’s not worth repeating here what was said. He also called one journalist “a hypocrite” but later apologized. And he said that the “club’s communication strategy is for me to show my face.” As for Pellegrini, Mou remarked, “if I were kicked out of Madrid, I wouldn’t go coach Málaga, but rather a big team in Italy or England.” Pellegrini wisely chose not to respond to that.

Cruyff mocks Jose's fixture gripes

Barcelona legend Johan Cruyff has laughed off Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho's complaints of his side's fixture pile-up.

Cruyff is regarded as one of the greatest names in Barcelona's history, where he won a La Liga title as a player in 1974, before returning to the Nou Camp as manager and leading the club to four consecutive domestic league trophies, as well as the 1992 European Cup.

The footballing legend has become the latest high-profile footballing identity to contradict Mourinho, joining Barcelona president Sandro Rosell who challenged Mourinho's claims that Real had an unfair fixture schedule compared to Barcelona.

The outspoken Portuguese manager had earlier blamed fatigue as the reason behind his team's draw against Deportivo La Coruna, stating that his players were tired from playing consecutive games with only a gap of three days.

His comments came as a slight surprise considering many big teams who participate in European competition as well as reach the latter rounds of domestic cup competitions often play regularly in midweek and on the weekends.

Rosell had earlier challenged Mourinho to prove that Barcelona had a more comfortable schedule.

Now it is Cruyff's turn to refute the claims emanating from the Real camp, suggesting it is their inaptitude and game plan that is causing them to be tired.

Speaking to El Periodico de Catalunya, Cruyff asserted: "Barcelona have less problems with playing two games per week than Real Madrid. The biggest difference between the two clubs is their style of play and that is the reason why Madrid struggle with the busy schedule."

"Barca always dominate the games and have a lot of possession. Real Madrid on the other hand get a lot more tired because they always win the ball far away from their opponents' goal. That means they have to do a lot more running. Both going forward and in defence."

Cruyff further went on record saying that Real had only themselves to blame for their disappointing result against Deportivo.

"Madrid could have easily won the match against Deportivo. they have some excellent players and always create plenty of chances."

"However, there comes a moment where your players get tired and then you pay the price for all the excessive work in the previous games."

Following the 0-0 draw with Deportivo, Real remain in second place behind Barcelona, who have now extended their lead to seven points.

Rosell slams Mourinho for whining

Barcelona president Sandro Rosell has mocked Real Madrid's Jose Mourinho for claiming that his club have a better fixture list.

The "Special One" had complained that his side had to play far too many fixtures in a short space of time, but Rosell feels that the Portuguese is simply making a mountain over a molehill, especially given Pep Guardiola has never made similar gripes despite having similar problems at the Nou Camp.

Speaking to Spanish publication AS, Rosell said: ''I know we [barcelona] play Tuesday and Saturday or Sunday and Tuesday.

"This is sport, and when you are told to play, you must play, there is no other way to deal with it. That's sport."

Rosell also extolled the virtues of his club compared to their rivals, saying : ''Barcelona has fantastic values of many sports, the club meets fairly in all areas, especially football.''

Barcelona's next fixture is against Valencia on Wednesday.

Real Madrid vs Malaga Preview

Real Madrid goalkeeper Jerzy Dudek believes his side can negate any inside knowledge Malaga coach Manuel Pellegrini has.

Pellegrini should know all about Madrid, having led them to a second-placed finish in La Liga last season with a club-record 96-point haul before being replaced in the summer by Jose Mourinho.

Dudek concedes Pellegrini's experience at Madrid is likely to aid Malaga, but the veteran custodian is banking on his side's home record over the last year to overcome that.

Madrid have won their last 22 competitive matches in front of their own fans, while coach Mourinho has a stunning personal record of not having lost a home league game at any of his clubs in over nine years.

Dudek said on bwin.com: "Every opponent who comes to the Bernabeu wants to cause a surprise and give it everything to win. I think Malaga, with Pellegrini, will know exactly how we work, but at home we are very strong and we are favourites to win."

Madrid know they cannot afford any slip-up against the lowly Andalusian side if they want to keep any sort of pressure on Barcelona at the top of La Liga standings.

Madrid were held to a goalless draw at Deportivo La Coruna on Saturday and, if Barca beat Valencia this evening, then Mourinho's men will be 10 points adrift going into Thursday's clash.

Malaga are also in desperate need of the points, however, as they battle to avoid the drop.

They climbed off the bottom of the table with their 3-1 win over regional rivals Almeria on Monday night, but despite that triumph they are still in 19th spot and two points away from safety.

Pellegrini said: "It was important to overcome Almeria, I hope that this continues with a series of consecutive wins. We have now gone four games without losing and the results calm the nerves."

Looking ahead to the trip to the Bernabeu and Madrid's remarkable home record, Malaga defender Martin Demichelis added: "There is always a chance of winning in football, they (Madrid) have won all their home games and are a great opponent, but we're going there with faith and confidence of getting something positive.

"In the world of football there are no unbeatable teams."

Demichelis also warned his team-mates not to focus all their efforts on just trying to stop Madrid's top scorer Cristiano Ronaldo.

He said: "They have great footballers, anyone is able to tip the balance. Obviously Cristiano is right now their biggest weapon but you can't only think about Cristiano and forget the rest."