Bellazon

Nastassia Lindes
Thumbnail

Nefertiti

• 2 weeks later...

large_00.jpg large_01.jpg large_02.jpg large_03.jpg large_04.jpg large_05.jpg
source: farfetch.com

California-born model Staz Lindes is the perfect poster girl for Saint Laurent’s current ‘rock chick at the beach’ aesthetic – a runway superstar, L.A native and talented musician in her own right.

Words by Hollie Moat, photography by David Bellemere, styling by Anya Ziourova

The daughter of Dire Straits’ Hal Lindes, Staz grew in music, so it’s no surprise that the Instagram pin-up and Hedi Slimane muse remains devoted to her riot grrrl-esque band The Paranoyds. When it comes to that place where fashion and music cross paths, Staz is sharing with us her view from the top.

Farfetch: Music and fashion have always been super entwined, but who do you consider the most stylish artists of all time?
Staz: ‘Poison Ivy of The Cramps, Kathleen Hanna of Bikini Kill, Debbie Harry, Richard Hell, Bowie, George Harrison, Bob Dylan, Diana Ross, Jimi Hendrix and Brian Jones.’

And who would you most like to collaborate on a track with?
‘[Halloween composer] John Carpenter, because he’s written some of the best movie scores of all time.’

You've said you'd love to write the music for horror films - what's your favourite in the genre?
‘I think my all time favourite is Nightmare On Elm Street. I love the score, the story, the beautiful shots and how it takes place in L.A. And it’s still scary!’

Do you think that growing up in California has influenced your sense of style?
‘Of course growing up in L.A. has influenced me – I’ve never really known about brands and have always bought vintage, plus I’ve always been able to wear whatever I want due to the consistently warm weather.’

Who is your favourite designer?
‘Right now I like the London-based Shrimps, because their faux fur coats are so cool - I wish everyone used faux fur.’

What's the most treasured piece in your wardrobe?
‘Everything that belonged to my parents and grandparents. I have my mom’s original Sex Pistols tee and her Ossie Clark jacket. I have my dad’s Mossimo Elvis shirt and my grandfather’s hand beaded velvet ambassador costume (he liked to play dress up).’

Has your style evolved as you've gained more and more experience and success in your modelling career?
‘I take in different things, but mostly look how I’ve always looked. The only thing that’s been encouraged [as a model] is to avoid anything uniform, black, or timid. I’ve gained an even more extreme urge to really express myself than ever before.’

What's been your favourite modelling experience?
‘I walked in front of Nirvana bassist Krist Novoselic! Holy cow!’

Can you give us a summer fashion tip?
‘Don’t wear black.’