Bellazon

Nastassia Lindes
Thumbnail

Nefertiti

Interview for CR Fashion Book

CR8_1_NO-TEXT2.jpg

COVER GIRL STAZ LINDES IS THE NEW TRIPLE THREAT
A rock-and-roller with a touch of old-school Hollywood glamour, the Paranoyds' singer is L.A.’s new It-Girl

Photograph Bjorn Iooss, CR Fashion Book Issue 8
Words Wiliam Defebaugh

From the stages of L.A. to London’s film sets and the runways of Paris

As a teenager growing up in Venice Beach, Staz Lindes became accustomed early on to rebuffing advances from model agents attempting to sign her. it’s not surprising—thanks to her high cheekbones and pouty lips, Lindes recalls a young Michelle Pfeiffer, and her nonchalant attitude created an undeniable allure. Francine Champagne of Vision scouted her first in a bowling alley when Lindes was 15 with pink hair and half of her head shaved; she called her every six months over the course of three years until she finally relented.

“I was a very moody teenager and I was very judgmental,” remembers Lindes, now 23. “You have to be such a people person in this industry. There are some who are very cold, and I’m sure that gives you some sort of a status, but that didn’t work for me.” Instead she held off until the right moment. “I’m glad I waited to dive into it, because you have to really know who you are, and I don’t think I could’ve listened to somebody telling me who I should’ve been.”

Instead, Lindez spent these teenage years indulging her fascination with music, forsaken typical high school extracurriculars for record signings, live shows (she recalls seeing L.A. band X as especially formative), and teaching herself to play the guitar and bass. Her father, who was in the band Dire Straits, was immediately supportive of her curiosities, and those of her brother, Misha, as well. Staz and Misha both went on to form their own bands, the Paranoyds and Sad Girl, respectively.

It was this connection that last year led Lindes to her first major fashion-world break. She was playing a late set at one of her brother’s shows when she met Hedi Slimane, creative director of Saint Laurent. “He was in my face shooting the whole time and I was like, Who is this person? Then afterwards I found out it was him, and he was just really cool, and he had us come into the studio a week later. The easier thing for me to talk about is music, so it was for me to talk to him.”

Not long after, Lindes received a last-minute invitation to walk in Slimane’s Spring/Summer 2016 show in Paris. Afterwards, the industry was buzzing about Slimane’s latest discovery. But today, Lindes admits that she still feels ill at ease in the fashion world, and is much more at home on a stage than a runway.

“With music it feels really right," says Lindes. “I’m like, This is what I’m meant to be doing and I know I’m good at this and I have a point to prove. With the fashion shows it’s like, I don’t know where I stand. I try to have fun, but there’s so much more to it that intimidates me that I don’t necessarily get. It’s hard in comparison because [music] is very real, and it’s very spiritual for me. I love shooting, but it’s definitely more like work.”

To wit, Lindes finds style inspiration not in the glossies but in the wardrobes of her favorite performers. “I get inspired by musicians and movie stars,” she says. “I’m not really up to date with fashion. But I’ve always kind of looked up to Bowie. I’m really into how George Harrison and Jimi Hendrix dressed.”

There is yet one more medium Lindes will soon grace. She recently flew to London to shoot a small part in the upcoming Absolutely Fabulous movie. “I was in a scene where Kate Moss gets murdered, so I’m pretty excited,” she gushes. “When I was on set it was so funny because like two days would go by and then I’d suddenly realize, Oh shit that’s Jerry Hall! Or like suddenly Don Draper [Jon Hamm] was on set. It was one party scene, so everyone was dressed up in the same party outfits every single day. It was really funny.”

When she’s not traveling to Paris and London for fashion shows and film shoots, Lindes is happy to be performing back home, with weekly shows touring the L.A. underground circuit. Asked if she thinks she will walk many fashion shows next season, Lindes shies away from the question, claiming she doesn’t understand why people would want her to. Undoubtedly, it’s this unassuming attitude that will take the Paranoyds singer far.