Bellazon

David Beckham
Thumbnail

Evelyn

Beckham situation still uncertain

There is still doubt over David Beckham's immediate future even as he heads to Tottenham Hotspur.

Tottenham announced that the 35-year-old would visit the training ground in Chigwell, Essex to undergo medical tests after a bizarre day of claim and counter-claim at White Hart Lane.

The proposed eight-week loan that Tottenham and the Los Angeles Galaxy had been discussing for over a week appeared to be dead when Harry Redknapp said prior to his side's FA Cup third-round win over Charlton that the deal looked to be a "no-goer".

The north London outfit then published a statement on their website announcing that Beckham would be joining the club - but only to train until February 10 in a bid to keep fit during the MLS close season.

The Spurs boss appeared to go back on his previous comments after the 3-0 win by saying that Beckham's move could still be resurrected.

"I don't honestly know if it will happen," Redknapp said.

"That's being done above my head. Hopefully it could still happen. The situation is ongoing."

Contrary to reports, Press Association Sport understands that the impasse in negotiations is not over an insurance fee the Americans are demanding if their prize asset gets injured, like he did while on loan at AC Milan last year.

The main sticking point in the deal is Spurs' unwillingness to meet the percentage of the player's wages demanded by the MLS side.

The north London club also want to take the player on loan for longer than the four-week period he will train with Spurs but the Galaxy insist Beckham must be back in America well before their first fixture of the season against Seattle Sounders on March 15.

The deal is complicated by the fact that Beckham will have to replace a current member of Tottenham's 25-man squad if he is to play after January 31 under the new Premier League rules.

Spurs may not need to bring Beckham in if the performance by fellow-winger Andros Townsend is anything to go by.

The 19-year-old had his season-long loan cancelled by Ipswich over the festive period but looked more than capable of cutting it at the highest level in their win.

The youngster, who like Beckham comes from Leytonstone, East London, scored Tottenham's opener and ran Charlton's defence ragged on a debut which impressed Redknapp's assistant, Kevin Bond.

"He has come into the side and done his chances no harm at all," Bond said.

"He has given the manager something to think about. I thought it was a terrific performance from someone making his debut.

"If Harry feels he can bring someone in to improve the squad then he said he would look at it.

"(But) looking at Andros, it looks like we might benefit from having him around."

Charlton outplayed Spurs at times in the first half but were ultimately torn apart by substitute Luka Modric's creativity and a well-taken double from former Addicks youth-team player Jermain Defoe.

Caretaker boss Keith Peacock was happy with his team's efforts but denied that the performance meant he would be applying for the post of a permanent basis.

"This is strictly a short-term situation, I said I would help and I'm taking it one game at a time," he said.

Redknapp still has hope for Becks

Harry Redknapp has insisted Tottenham Hotspur have not given up hope of signing David Beckham.

A loan move for the former England captain had been described by Redknapp as a "no-goer" earlier in the day, but his tone changed after Tottenham's FA Cup third-round win over Charlton.

After a week of negotiations between Tottenham and Beckham's parent club, the Los Angeles Galaxy, Redknapp initially said that an eight-week loan for the star had fallen through because of "insurance issues".

Redknapp's assertion was followed by a statement on Spurs' website, announcing that the 35-year-old would join the club - but only to train for a month as he aims to keep fit during the MLS close season.

But following Spurs' 3-0 win against their npower League One opponents, Redknapp appeared to backtrack on his previous statement, and insisted the midfielder could still join.

When asked if a deal could still happen, the Spurs boss replied: "I don't honestly know. That's being done above my head. Hopefully it could still happen. The situation is ongoing."

It was thought that the Galaxy were demanding an insurance fee for the former Manchester United man after he picked up an Achilles injury during last year's loan spell at AC Milan.

But it is understood the Galaxy are not demanding such a fee for Beckham's release, and the reason behind the impasse in the deal is because Spurs are unwilling to pay the percentage of his wages that the Americans are demanding.

"I was led to believe that insurance was a problem, but apparently that's not the case," said Redknapp, who saw his team beat Charlton thanks to a goal from Andros Townsend and a Jermain Defoe double.

Beckham will start training with Spurs at their training ground in Essex this week but the Galaxy are adamant they want their man back in time for the start of the MLS season on March 15.

Tottenham assistant manager Kevin Bond admits he is looking forward to Beckham's arrival.

"I think everyone will be looking forward to how he conducts himself, how he trains and I'm sure a lot of people will take a lot from him being here and seeing how he goes about his work," Bond said.

Should Beckham's loan deal fail to go through, Tottenham will be short of experienced right-sided midfielders if David Bentley's move to Birmingham is completed, as expected, this week.

Townsend, 19, who recently had his season-long loan cut short by Ipswich, impressed on the right on Sunday though, marking his debut with a 20-yard opening goal.

Bond was impressed and admits the youngster, who is naturally left-footed, looks to have a bright future at the club.

"I thought it was a terrific performance from someone making his debut," Bond said.

"If Harry feels he can bring someone in to improve the squad then he said he would look at it.

"(But) looking at Andros, it looks like we might benefit from having him around."

Spurs went in goalless at half-time after a disappointing first half but the home side soon sparked into life thanks to the introduction of midfielder Luka Modric.

Bond admits the Croatian gave Spurs a creative outlet they badly missed in the first period.

Bond said: "Maybe we were predictable in the first half and you need someone with that something different to unlock the door. He certainly has that."

Defoe returned to the starting line-up after a three-match ban for a red card for an elbow on James Collins during Spurs' 2-1 win at Aston Villa on Boxing Day.

Bond believes the England striker was determined to prove a point by contributing to today's win, which earned Tottenham an away tie against Fulham in the fourth round.

"I'm sure Jermain was frustrated because it was a harsh red card," Bond said.

"He was frustrated because he wasn't long being back from injury and to sit out another three games meant he was keen to get out on the pitch.

"Strikers live off goals and it's important for them, they become a different animal completely when they find the net."

Becks won't play for Tottenham

Tottenham Hotspur boss Harry Redknapp has admitted his plan to bring in David Beckham "looks like a no-goer".

Spurs were among a handful of Premier League clubs keen to recruit Beckham on loan from the Los Angeles Galaxy during the Major League Soccer close season.

But Redknapp told Sky Sports News ahead of today's third round FA Cup tie at against Charlton: "I don't think it's going to happen, I think there are problems with the insurance.

"David is welcome to come and train here for a month or so which I think he would like to do but it looks like, as far as playing goes, it looks like a no-goer.

"It couldn't happen so, not a problem, we'll just get on with it."

Redknapp said the deal had fallen through because of problems over an insurance fee, which the Galaxy demanded after he picked up an Achilles injury during his last spell on loan in Europe with AC Milan.

It will come as a blow to the 115-cap midfielder, who had been hoping to catch the eye of England boss Fabio Capello with a two-month loan spell at the Barclays Premier League side.

A statement released on the Spurs website at mid-day confirmed that Beckham would train with the club, rather than play, for a month.

"Tottenham Hotspur is delighted to announce that England's most capped outfield player, David Beckham will train with the first-team squad," the statement read.

"David will train with the Club until February 10 when he will be required to return to LA Galaxy ahead of the start of the MLS season."

The announcement came as a surprise given that Redknapp said on Friday that a loan deal for Beckham was "90% done" and insisted that the 35-year-old could have been in the stands for today's clash at White Hart Lane.

The Spurs boss was disappointed not to have signed Beckham, but still thinks the veteran's influence around his young team will help in their push for a place in next year's Champions League.

Redknapp said: "We'd love to have him here for longer but respect his commitments to LA Galaxy.

"They wanted him back in early February so that made it difficult to do a playing deal on the basis of three weeks.

"David is a fantastic professional - he will be a great influence around the place and I am sure we will all benefit from his winning mentality.

"I think everyone will enjoy having him here."

Beckham, who has previously trained with Spurs' north London rivals Arsenal, could start work at the club's Essex training ground this week and is looking forward to the experience.

Beckham said: "It's important that I maintain a high level of fitness during the MLS off season.

"I'm thankful to Tottenham and Harry Redknapp for giving me the opportunity to train with the team over the next month.

"I'm grateful to the LA Galaxy for allowing to me to train with Spurs. I look forward to getting to work as soon as possible."

Had Beckham signed a playing deal with Spurs, he would have been in line to make his debut against his former team Manchester United in next Sunday's match between the two sides at White Hart Lane.

Please avoid hotlinking. Hotlinking is bandwidth theft and causes bandwidth to be taken away from the linked site, which then increases their server bill. You may upload images to bellazon's attachments, textlink or upload from a host site such as imageshack, imagevenue, photobucket, tinypic...instead. Thank you! See the rules of Bellazon HERE. ~ Post Edited by Joe > Average

David Beckham arrives at Tottenham Hotspur's training complex

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jk5ZK3U2KGU/TSxo...0/107977865.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_jk5ZK3U2KGU/TSxo...0/107977863.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

David Beckham to the rescue as man's car breaks down on busy English road

DAVID Beckham put other motorists to shame when he came to the aid of a man whose car broke down at a busy intersection in Ware, southern England, with the stunned motorist telling the soccer superstar "I love you, mate."

Paul Long was taking his children -- Josephine, 6, and Fabian, 8 -- to school when the car came to an unexpected halt, he told the BBC.

After being stuck for about 10 minutes, "Eventually I saw a car pull over in the distance and a man in a hoodie got out," Long said.

"He pulled the hood down and as he got nearer to the car I realised it was David Beckham."

Beckham, who has been training with English Premier League team Tottenham Hotspur while on a break from the Los Angeles Galaxy, was the first to offer assistance, Long said.

"He asked if we were OK and I said we'd broken down and could he push us to the side," he said.

"When we'd pushed the car to safety -- and I have to say another man stopped to help by this point -- he asked if we were OK and I said: 'David Beckham, I love you, mate.'"

Beckham first linked up with the Spurs camp in January in an effort to maintain his fitness during the MLS offseason and will stay with them until February 22, at which he will rejoin the Galaxy for the start of the MLS season.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...