Bellazon

NEED ADVICE: Guitars

Francesca

I thought you played finger-style. In those 'sexy pics' of you playing bass you posted, you're playing with your fingers...

It depends. I use the pick in faster songs or when I think it suits the mood of the song. I prefer finger-style, though. It's more demanding, but also closer to the 'real' concept of bass playing, if you know what I mean.

• 2 weeks later...

That place is out of control, at least it was the last time I looked.

I prefer RateYourMusic. The people are friendly, and never act like know-it-alls, even though half of them have about 1500 albums to their name and really do know it all.

Cool... I haven't seen that. I'll have to see if I can still log in with my old screename.

I used to like reading the debates about the "lists," but it seems like a lot of the people tended to loose sight of the music, like they're not even listening for their own enjoyment.

• 1 month later...

Fender and Gibson both are extreamly well made guitars, at extreamly well made guitar prices...

Squire is the cheaper version of fender, and rogue is the cheaper version of squire, so there are your choices there. If you REALLY want a Gibson SG without going for broke, I'd go with epiphone. Right now there is the G-400 custom black, for about $350. I started out playing electric, THEN went to acoustic. It really doesn't matter what you start out on, but acoustic is already set up to play, electric you need an amp and and cord. amps are pretty pricey too... But I'm sticking with Schecter from now on.Either way your gonna have to build up caluses on your finger tips. There are a variety of picks to choose from. I myself really like nylon picks, since they come in every width, and they NEVER break. I'm sure htey could at one point, but that's HIGH stress, and I play metal, and nylon picks take it all. I used to play strictly with thin, because I felt like i could go faster...but now I realize that thicker is better. But it's really personal preference. ;)