Bellazon

Anna Kournikova
Thumbnail

pmech

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You can tell she's spent most of her life in the States. Almost no accent in her speech. I'd love to hear her speak Russian for a change :D

By the way, that's a nice video - good to see two of my favorite tennis players together :)

Together Again: Hingis and Kournikova back at Wimbledon

By Tom Perrotta

Earlier this week, I met with Martina Hingis and Anna Kournikova, who are playing doubles together in the Wimbledon legends tournament. I won't make you wait for the (probably unwelcome) news: Hingis isn't planning a singles comeback, as some have suggested. As for the state of Hingis and Kournikova's tennis, let's just say I wouldn't want to be one of the other legends.

Why are you two playing the legends event?

Hingis: It just came naturally. It's a great occasion playing at Wimbledon, playing together. Obviously you have great memories from coming here.

Kournikova: We were talking about summer plans, where are you going to be, what are you going to do. That's how we decided to team up. For me personally, this is such a great opportunity to be back on the grass courts of Wimbledon. Us playing singles here many, many years ago, Martina winning the singles title: Some of my best tennis in my career was at Wimbledon.

Hingis: This time around it's a really different approach. When you're on the tour, you're playing week in and week out, you just focus on your practice and your matches.

So there's no guilt now?

Kournikova: I still feel guilty and I still practice. I still go to the gym. I'm kind of OCD in that way.

Martina, what does this lead to? Are you considering a singles comeback?

Hingis: [Laughs] I haven't been thinking about that, all these rumors. We'll just play here and see where it takes us. We're going to both play TeamTennis in the States after this.

What about doubles with Lindsay Davenport?

Hingis: We've had some talks, but that's also a little bit in the maybe [category]. Lindsay, even after her first child she came back and played on the tour, it's quite a miracle.

What are your assessments of the next generation? Why isn't anyone really young winning big events?

Hingis: It's gotten more physical and in juniors, I don't think the level—because they don't really get to play the seniors [age eligibility rules limit players under age 18]. I was really pretty much full time on tour at 15. You learn more when you're 15 than when you're 18. It's just more difficult, the older you get. At 15, you have nothing to lose, you go out there, you're fearless. Still, the level is different [today]. I think it's still possible, but you have to be quite special.

Kournikova: I think it's very, very individual. It depends on your development, how fast you can develop your skills, how fast you mature in your head. It depends on the player, it depends on the game, it depends on what country you're from. There are a bunch of factors that affect what time you'll peak. Jana Navotna won her Grand Slam…

Hingis: At 30!

Kournikova: And Schiavone won hers two weeks ago. She was on the tour when I was on the tour.

Hingis: I played her in the French Open quarters in 2001.

When Schiavone won the French Open, did you say, "Maybe I'll try this again?"

Hingis: My life on the tour was very busy. It's just different once you're No. 1. I played like 90 matches a season, five, six, seven matches a week.

What if the U.S. Open offered you a wild card to play singles?

Hingis: It's a choice you have to make. I've been away for three years, so it's not like you come out of nowhere. You see people like Kim Clijsters, Justine Henin coming back, but there's still a lot of work behind it. You need the support, you need the background. It's not like you choose to come back and you're going to be winning. I mean, I've had my comeback and it was successful and I'm proud of it. Doubles is a different story, but not full time. If I could play in my back yard, maybe.

Anna, how was your recent visit with the troops in Afghanistan and Iraq?

Kournikova: This was my third tour and I've been to…

Hingis: I'm sure the soldiers loved it [laughs].

Kournikova: In eight days in Afghanistan and Iraq we visited two bases a day. It was an incredible opportunity to give back to the troops. Most of them are kids. We did a million meet-and-greets; we wouldn't stop until we said hi to every soldier. It was awesome, awesome, awesome. It was the most incredible experience.

Martina, is it strange to return to Wimbledon because your suspension started with a test here [Hingis was banned in 2007 for testing positive for a metabolite of cocaine, which she has denied using]?

Hingis: No, not at all. That's the past. This place has nothing to do with it. I'm just really happy to be back playing.

Do you think about fighting the suspension more?

Hingis: Well I did [fight it], but it was a no-win situation. It's really the past and I'm not looking back.

What do you two expect from fans here?

Kournikova: First and foremost, we're doing it for ourselves. If we show that we're enjoying it, then people will enjoy it. You have to love what you're doing.

Is tennis essentially a way to stay in shape?

Kournikova: No, I train to play tennis. You can't stay in shape by playing tennis.

Hingis: Exactly.

Kournikova: It's a way of life.

http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/f...2&zoneid=35

Anna Kournikova of Russia in action during her Ladies Invitational doubles match against Anne Hobbs and Samantha Smith of Great Britain on Day Eight of the Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Championships at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club on June 29, 2010 in London, England.

post-15266-1277838177_thumb.jpg

post-15266-1277838201_thumb.jpg

post-15266-1277838218_thumb.jpg

post-15266-1277838252_thumb.jpg

post-15266-1277838273_thumb.jpg

post-15266-1277838287_thumb.jpg

post-15266-1277838313_thumb.jpg

post-15266-1277838327_thumb.jpg

post-15266-1277838362_thumb.jpg

post-15266-1277838379_thumb.jpg

post-15266-1277838397_thumb.jpg

post-15266-1277838673_thumb.jpg