Bellazon

Georgia May Jagger
Thumbnail

o charmer

• 2 weeks later...

Vogue Australia December 2010

Georgia May Jagger by Kai Z Feng

post-37646-0-1446022702-42343_thumb.jpg 2dfadf108243242.jpg

th_e776e8108243224.jpg/monthly_11_2010/post-37646-0-1446022702-44621_thumb.jpg" data-fileid="2832118" alt="post-37646-0-1446022702-44621_thumb.jpg" data-ratio="136"> post-37646-0-1446022702-483_thumb.jpg post-37646-0-1446022702-49328_thumb.jpg th_6d9c9d108243238.jpg/monthly_11_2010/post-37646-0-1446022702-51988_thumb.jpg" data-fileid="2832122" alt="post-37646-0-1446022702-51988_thumb.jpg" data-ratio="133">

On Set With Georgia May Jagger for Hudson Jeans!

By Dhani Mau

Georgia May Jagger, offspring of Mick Jagger and Jerry Hall and one of this year’s most recognizable and in-demand models, is surprisingly normal.

That’s despite the fact that you can barely open a fashion mag without seeing the 18-year-old beauty–and that she’s already starting to experience controversy. Her first Hudson campaign, in which she appeared topless, caught flack for being too sexual (she was only 17 at the time) and her Rimmel mascara ad was recently banned for featuring false eyelashes.

Yet Georgia has stayed grounded despite all of the attention. She is super sweet, well-spoken and close to her mum. In many ways, she’s simply an 18-year-old girl who just moved to New York.

post-37646-0-1446022706-88854_thumb.jpg

We chatted while she was getting a haircut (ah, the perks of being a model) in the middle of a stripped down loft apartment with sparse vintage furniture and taxidermy–the set of her next Hudson jeans campaign. But this isn’t just a collection advert–it’s for Georgia’s very own line for Hudson. Yes, the budding supermodel is designing. HUDSON by GEORGIA MAY JAGGER hits stores in March 2011.

But back to her hair. “I had a cut that [draws a straight line with her hand] looked like someone just hacked it straight across.” Besides bad haircuts, she talked to us about her teeth, living in the east village with her sister, falsies and retouching in beauty ads, her photography aspirations and more. Plus, click through for more behind-the-scenes pics from the shoot.

Fashionista: What’s the best thing about working with Hudson?

Georgia: I think we have a really good thing going on. We have a really good group of people and it’s not often, especially at the moment in fashion, to work with the same team and have that kind of ongoing relationship. I think we work well together and it gets better every time.

How will this campaign differ from the last one?

I think it’s gonna be more my own personal style and I think a bit more fun, more young as well, because it’s a lot of my influences.

Have you gotten more involved?

Definitely, I looked up everyone’s work and the location and everything, so I was involved with the whole process instead of just the final part of it, so that’s a big difference for me.

You’re quite young and not known for being a party girl, so how do you spend your free time?

At the moment, since I’m working during the day, I go to night school, so I spend most of my nights doing painting and photo printing. That’s kind of my hobby slash education. And I like to cook a lot. Me and my sister make big meals like Shepherd’s pie and we have big dinner parties. We live together and we invite over all the English people in New York we can find and have English meals.

What made you want to study photography?

I just really enjoy it. I like the whole process; I find it therapeutic–the repetitiveness of moving each tray–and just think it’s a really beautiful art form. And I love photography; I love looking at it and going to exhibitions.

Do you want to photograph professionally or is it just a hobby?

Yeah, that’s what I want! I can imagine myself in a career doing photography definitely, because I’m very motivated and I churn out work pretty quickly, so I can imagine myself in that sort of situation.

Obviously your teeth are sort of becoming one of your signature traits and it’s starting to seem like gap teeth are becoming a trend. People are even getting dental surgery and having their teeth shaved to create gaps.

[laughs] I think it’s hilarious, it’s great, my mom loves it.

Did you ever think that would happen? That teeth would become a focal point or a trend?

No, I never even noticed my teeth before I started modeling. I really didn’t; I wouldn’t have known if I had weird teeth or not.

What do you think about your Rimmel commercial being banned in the UK?

Well, to be honest, I don’t think a lot of people realize that they use falsies in all of their ads and every other mascara brand in England…I personally don’t see how someone could look at that and not see false eyelashes, but maybe that’s just because I’m used to makeup. I think that it was the whole 1-2-3 thing, cause it’s supposed to give you a bigger look each time, so I think it was the emphasis on that that confused people. In France, they banned false eyelashes, so they do computer-generated eyelashes, which I think is a lot less realistic because you can get that look from fake eyelashes. And, I think a lot of people don’t realize that even the moving ads of other brands have computerized makeup.

It has nothing to do with me; it’s to do with Rimmel. I feel bad it’s not going to be used anymore for them, but you know, I’m sure this kind of thing happens and they were probably expecting it.

What are some of your favorite shops and designers?

I love Vivienne Westwood, Alexander McQueen, Alexander Wang. I like vintage shops here like Screaming Mimi’s. In London, there’s Rellik. I like Ossie Clark. I like just looking around the boutiques in the east village. I think you get a lot of good stuff in New York ‘cause there’s lots of small places. Australia as well, I was surprised, there are a lot of small designers where it looks like it’s vintage stuff because it’s handmade.

How did your mom feel about you moving to New York?

I think she was really freaked out in the beginning, especially when I told her that I was living by Tompkin’s Square Park, because she lived here in the ‘80s and I think when she was living here, it was like a really scary place. But then I explained to her it was all trendy vegan places and boutique shops and I think she’s gonna come visit, but yeah, I think it was sad for her.

How has your parents’ style influenced your own?

I think mainly because I wear their clothes. I have a lot of my mother’s clothes and she gave me a lot of her stuff from the ‘70s and stuff she wore when she was my age, so I feel like my sense of dress is very ‘70s because of her, because that’s when she was young and all the clothes that I think are really cool, like for going out in, are from the ‘70s. And I have some of my dad’s stuff as well and my sister does. They like bright things. They don’t dress very demure, so I think that that has definitely encouraged me and the places we shop. Me and my mom love Westwood; I think that’s something I’ve inherited from her.

What are your plans for the holidays?

I am going home for Christmas, which I’m really excited about because I haven’t been home in ages because I just moved to New York. So, I’m gonna have Christmas with the family and then I’m going on holiday to Thailand and I’ve never been before so I’m really excited.

post-37646-0-1446022706-89679_thumb.jpg

Inspirations

7f6463110846084.jpg

More pictures (without Georgia) on the site fashionista.com

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...