Bellazon

Xabi Alonso
Thumbnail

Chic_Raul_ista

Alonso: No division in Real Madrid

Real Madrid midfielder Xabi Alonso has dismissed claims that there is division in the dressing room.

There have been speculation claiming club captain Iker Casillas along with Alonso do not see eye to eye with Cristiano Ronaldo.

But the former Liverpool player has brushed the report off as nothing more than a rumour.

"This is an urban legend. At Real Madrid, everything is always looked at under a microscope," the 29-year-old said in an interview with a radio broadcast for Cadena COPE.

Madrid's season have been outstanding until their 5-0 thumping at the hands of Barcelona, which saw them relinquish top-spot to their title rivals.

And Alonso went on to reiterate there are no rifts among the Madrid players and that the team will continue fighting for the title.

He continued: "It is good to analyse games, this team has a very distinctive personality, and in the locker room I feel comfortable and happy.

"Our performances have been similar this year to last year, apart from El Clasico. That result was completely unexpected, and it is up to the club and players to remain competitive."

Madrid will play Sevilla on Sunday.

Xabi Alonso at COPE

Xabi Alonso was on Cadena COPE’s “El Partido de las 12″ yesterday. They start off by listing all his accomplishments, which takes several minutes. And then Xabi gets to talk. I love hearing his voice. It’s just so smooth, no? It’s a nice change from video, because I usually get distracted by how he looks and forget to listen to what he’s saying. Anyway, here are the highlights from the chat (boring stuff first, then onto the more interesting sound bites):

On the Sevilla game: there are players that can replace me. Lass had a great game and Khedira is playing very well.

On the Barcelona game: it was completely unexpected. Barcelona was great and had a fantastic game, and we didn’t play well, we didn’t compete. It hurt a lot, especially the feeling that we didn’t compete. Now things are getting back to normal, we’re regaining our self esteem, and we know that there are a lot more games left and that we have to look ahead.

On Mourinho: he has a very defined personality. We’re happy and comfortable with him.

On the rumors about divided groups in the locker room: it’s an urban legend. Obviously, there are small groups that have more in common with each other, but the main group is united, with no conflicts.

And asked specifically about Cristiano and goal celebrations, Xabi says, “when he scores, we all hug because we know it’s for the collective good.”

part I really liked was when the presenters asked Xabi to choose between Mourinho and Vicente del Bosque. Xabi starts his answer with, “well both of them…” but they insist that he has to make a choice. So Xabi responds, “Joder, they’re both my coaches at the moment, I can’t.” So the presenters say, we won’t say anything, just smile if you support VDB, and now smile if you support Mou, and then we find out that Xabi smiled throughout.

We also find out that Xabi speaks with Özil in English and Spanish and that Mesut understands him, and that Xabi weighs 80 kilos. The program described him as a “top” guest and then after half an hour of football talk, say they’re going to move on to Xabi Alonso the person, because they find that “fascinating.”

A program after my own heart – indeed Xabi the person is much more fascinating. They describe him as “29 years old, a father of two, interested in fashion and cultural issues, and like a good Basque person, likes good food. They continue with the food theme, and Xabi reveals that they’ve always had the tradition of getting together and cooking in gastronomical societies, and that he likes all kinds of cuisines, including Japanese and other Asian cuisines. He doesn’t consider himself a fashion victim (he used those exact words, and I don’t think he has anything to worry about, because in his very own locker room there are several guys who would be considered before Xabi).

They asked him why he moved from La Finca (in the suburbs) to the center of the city, and Xabi jokes it was because “the woman is in charge.” He explains that each person has their own way of being, and he has always lived in the center of the city, whether in Donosti or Liverpool or now in Madrid. Both he and his wife prefer living in the center, and they’re more comfortable and happy there. And as for what he likes about Madrid, Xabi says the life on the streets; the gastronomic offerings; the parks, especially the Retiro; the cultural offerings, especially the theater; and the fantastic weather. He elaborates, saying that he likes the change of seasons, comparing it to his brother, who lives in Tenerife where it’s summer all year round.

And when asked about receiving the Tambor de Oro award from his beloved Donosti, he said that it made him very happy, and that he had played the drum in the celebrations many times as a child, and that it’s a special honor for those people from the city.

The program ended with the little test that they make all the guests take (here are Iker’s responses. One of the presenters made fun of him by shouting out “Notting Hill” when Xabi was answering the question about his favorite movie).

The little test that Xabi did:

A city to live in: Donosti.

A place to disconnect and forget everything: (thinks hard and makes a pffft noise) Mount Txindoqui (in Gipuzcoa).

A mythical football stadium: Anfield.

Favorite musical act: Nirvana and Andrés Calamaro.

Favorite movie: Casablanca and The Shawshank Redemption.

Favorite actress: Natalie Portman.

A coach who changed your life: Toshack because I debuted with him [coincidentally, Iker gave the same answer.]

An active footballer that you admire: Sami Hyypiä, because he’s one of the best teammates I’ve had. He’s a “10″ as a person and a footballer, and I learned a lot from him when I was a 22-year-old new arrival at Liverpool.

You would give the Ballon d’Or to… Xavi Hernández.

A non-football sports idol: Michael Jordan, Rafa Nadal and Roger Federer.

A dream to achieve: I want to win a Liga, since I’ve been second with La Real, Liverpool and Madrid, and La Décima.

In other Xabi news, he will be honored by his hometown of Tolosa on Dec. 26. There will be an act at the city hall (at 11h, if any of you are going to be near there later this month), which will be followed by the revealing of a plaque dedicated to Xabi at the Usabal sports center. He’ll also do the saque de honor for the Shanti Tournament at 12:15h.

unamadridista

Xabi Alonso – the Don Balón questionnaire

1. Marital status?

- Married and with two children.

2. What were you studying?

- I studied business for three years. I didn’t finish my degree.

3. Do footballers make too much money?

- It’s related to how much money they generate.

4. Should provincial national teams play official games?

- I think this is not only a matter of sports.

5. What would you like to do when you’re no longer playing football?

- When I leave football, I’d like to disconnect a bit and enjoy my free time, because while this is great, I’m very busy.

6. What is your favorite singer or group?

- I like Andrés Calamaro.

7. What is your favorite song?

- “Other Side” by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

8. Who are you favorite actor and actress?

- Robert de Niro and Julianne Moore.

9. What movie have you watched the most number of times?

- The Great Escape and The Shawshank Redemption.

10. What is the best book you’ve read in your life?

- The Great Gatsby [my favorite book too!!!]

11. Of all the poems that you’ve read, which did you like the best?

- I don’t remember any of them.

12. Of all the paintings you’ve see, which made the biggest impression on you?

- Gernika.

13. Your best friend in the world of football?

- I have a lot but a very good friend is Cristian Alberdi, who plays in Alcorcón.

14. What is your favorite TV show?

- I like Cuarto Milenio.

15. What is your favorite food?

- Turbot.

16. A city.

- London.

17. Your idea of a perfect night?

- I like to go out to eat, with my wife and my friends, and enjoy a good chat.

18. What place would you like to visit?

- Alaska or New Zealand.

19. Your most recent car?

- An Audi 7.

20. What is your dream car?

- I like James Bond’s Aston Martin. I like cars a lot.

21. Is it easier for footballers to hook up with girls?

- I don’t know why it would be like.

22. Who is the sexiest woman, after yours?

- Scarlett Johansson.

23. Is love necessary for you in sex?

- Yes. [Oh Xabi....]

24. Do you all play better on the field after having sex?

- It’s different for everyone.

25. Would you forgive a onetime act of infidelity?

- I don’t think so.

26. What do you think about homosexual marriages?

- I think that those who have that sexual preference have the same right as everyone else. I don’t see any problems.

27. How do you kill time in the concentraciones?

- With the Internet, I watch TV series…

28. What do you think about the death penalty?

- I’m against it.

29. In what areas has your footballing improved in the last few years?

- Perhaps tactically and mentally.

30. What did you learn from your parents?

- Humility, straightforwardness, and to work hard to able to achieve what you want in this life.

31. What is your latest splurge?

- A watch.

32. What does a footballer do during the afternoons?

- I spend time with my kids.

33. When was the last time you got drunk?

- In the World Cup, during the celebration.

34. What’s the most recent crazy thing that you did?

- I don’t remember.

35. Finish this sentence: It drives me crazy when…

- I have to deal with a lack of respect.

36. What do you always have in your refrigerator?

- Good vegetables from Navarra.

37. Should all immigrants be legalized?

- In an orderly fashion, but it’s not easy.

38. Who were your heroes?

- I’ve always liked Koeman.

39. Tell me a historic moment of your club.

- La Séptima.

40. Which country do you support, apart from Spain, in a World Cup?

- I’ve always liked England.

41. The Christmas gift you were most excited about.

- World Cup boots, the first ones I ever received as a gift.

42. What other sports have you played or play?

- Padel and tennis.

43. Your favorite historical person?

- Nelson Mandela and Winston Churchill.

44. What footballer did your father constantly talk about?

- My father wasn’t one to talk about his battles. He spoke more about what was going on.

45. Do you have any manias before stepping on the field?

- No.

46. Where do you usually go for vacations?

- I change the destination, I don’t have any fixed place.

47. What question from journalists do you hate the most?

- When I’m asked how I define myself.

48. Your favorite clothing brand?

- Adidas.

49. What was the last time you used public transportation?

- A while ago, I did use the metro in London.

50. If you were the president, what would be the first thing you would do upon arriving at Moncloa?

- There are a lot of things to do but I don’t think I’m sufficiently prepared to do so.

One. A dream: to win the Liga, which I’ve never won.

Two. A person that you miss: my grandparents.

Three. Your lucky number: I have a lot of affection for 14 right now.

Four. If you were on a deserted island, you’d bring… a radio.

Five. If you weren’t a footballer, you’d be… I was going to be an engineer, something related with companies.

thanks unamadridista!!