Bellazon

Bellazon Stats

Prettyphile

Anyone seen this?

http://www.quantcast.com/bellazon.com

This site reaches approximately 23,560 U.S. monthly people. The site attracts a more male, middle aged crowd.

post-1004-0-1446078291-94715_thumb.png

Every April there seems to be a spike in visitors, I wonder why.

Male: 56%

Female: 44%

AGES

3-11: 1%

12-17: 3%

18-34: 27%

35-49: 57%

50+: 12%

There's a lot more so check it out.

wow, interesting. thank you :)

I don't know very much about technical stuff, software etc.... so I was wondering, how does it know who's Hispanic, African American, a college graduate, how does it know about people's income etc.?

• 2 months later...
I was wondering, how does it know who's Hispanic, African American, a college graduate, how does it know about people's income etc.?

I don't really know the answer to your question, but that won't stop me from hypothesizing.

I think the practice of statistical modeling is that a business pays to put special tracking pixels on lots and lots of different websites, and then records all the internet addresses that access those pixels (when you visit a page, you get served that pixel, which might be just a tiny size, like a 1px-square -- so small that you never see it). While you browse the internet, the business uses its tracking pixels to watch which sites you visit. After you have visited five or ten or whatever-many web pages, the business is able to compare the list of sites you have visited to a database they have assembled, and then say that you "look like" someone in their database. At least, you visit the same websites. Since the business knows the income, age, race, gender, political views of the people in their database, they assume you are similar. Again, I don't really know for sure, but that's a guess.

One thing that jumped out at me is that my impression of the participants on Bellazon versus Quantserve's estimated audience for Bellazon, is that they are quite different. For example, my impression was that there was a higher proportion of women on BZ than men, and the site's "crowd" was in fact not mostly 45-year old men. But that's based on participants. The Quantserve stats would suggest that the participating audience is very different from the overall viewing audience. There are lots of male lurkers out there. Or, alternately, lots of 45-year old men are on BZ pretending to be teenage girls.

YIKES!