Bellazon

Katie Lee Joel
Thumbnail

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

3rd Annual Hamptons Burger Bloodbath

post-17383-1252647662_thumb.jpg

The Burger Bash was the perfect ending to summer. The Burger Bash is a contest among a handful of chefs to make the best beach burger. The line up this year was Mo Koyfman and Chef Jeff Schwarz, Jeffrey Chodorow, Josh Eden (Shorty's.32), Cobi Levy (Charles) and Peter Daversa (Hill Country) and the judges were Katie Lee Joel (winner of the Food and Wine Burger this past October), Mark Pastore (LaFrieda meat - all meat provided by LaFrieda), Kate Krader (Food and Wine) and Ben Leventhal ( who runs the event ).

I was and more than likely will always be partial towards Mo and Jeff. Over the course of the summer, Josh, Emily and I were asked to be involved in all of the pre-tastings. Each afternoon was more fun than the next. There were only a few of us and they took our opinions seriously.

Was it the right meat, should there be a cucumber or a pickle, does chopped lettuce make sense, is the onion crispy enough, is the size right, is the burger too small or too big, which bun goes better, cheddar or American, should we use bacon?

The event was catered by Hill Country who served up ribs, brisket, slaw, corn bread and a few other items. I never go out for that type of food as I do love my own ribs and indulge basically once a year. I had been told this but I can now confirm that Hill Country's wet brisket is probably one of the best I have ever had and their bbq sauce is top.

Josh helped sell poker chips, there were only 100 of them. The money went to 2 charities (Share our Strength and Foodbank) which gave you access to taste the burgers yourself. Some of the chefs did a much better job than others making sure the crowd got to taste their wares. Mo and Jeff really made sure that there were plenty for the crowd to try and so did Hill Country. There was not such an abundance of the other burgers for tasting. At the end of the day, as I tasted all the burgers, I still think Mo and Jeff had the best beach burger. The chips were used at the end to vote from the crowd and Jeff and Mo were voted as best burger from the crowd.

Hill Countrys burger was a cheese burger with thick bacon and chipolte sauce, Chodorow was pan fried (every ingredient was pan fried) over the grill and made into a burger, Shortys was just a simple patty and Mo and Ben was the classic cheeseburger (still my favorite).

A great event. Got to know a variety of people better this summer. Ate lots of fabulous burgers. And today, which feels like autumn, I am ready to go back to the city.

http://www.gothamgal.com/gotham_gal/2009/0...-bloodbath.html

• 3 weeks later...

Katie Lee Joel keeps distance from fashion designer Yigal Azrouel at New Yorkers for Children gala

post-17383-1255416179_thumb.jpg

Katie Lee Joel kept her distance from Yigal Azrouel at the first event they both attended since her split from Billy Joel

Katie Lee Joel kept her distance from Yigal Azrouel at the first event they both attended since her split from Billy Joel. Katie Lee Joel and Yigal Azrouel made their first public appearance at the same event since rumors of a home-wrecking affair broke over the summer, but the two barely exchanged a word at Tuesday night's New Yorkers for Children gala.

The pair arrived - and left - separately, were seated at different tables and had minimal interaction at the charity fete. Despite their careful avoidance, Azrouel says that he and Katie Lee are "definitely still good friends" - but made sure to declare that he had come to the event alone.

As for Katie, she's finally healing from her public separation from "Piano Man" Billy Joel. "She's in a better place," says a pal, adding that while Katie is getting her groove back, it isn't with Israeli designer Azrouel.

One thing's for certain: The chef is taking solace in having good girlfriends. The former "Top Chef" host chatted up Jessica Seinfeld during the New Yorkers for Children dinner, and was seen palling around with "Real Housewife" Kelly Bensimon at Cinema Society's "Invention of Lying" premiere last week.

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2009/09/...with_yigal.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Welcome

post-17383-1259995284_thumb.jpg

Welcome to my new blog! Really looking forward to sharing my day-to-day with all of you. This is my first blog, so let me tell you a little bit about myself and how I found my way into the culinary world.

I grew up in a really small town in West Virginia called Milton (population is around 2,000). My mom and I lived in the same neighborhood as my grandparents, great-grandmother, and my great-aunt and uncle. Even though I was an only child, I always felt like I had a big family because of all of my extended family. We were the type of people who talked about what we were having for our next meal while we were eating. My grandma was my babysitter and I pretty much grew up in her kitchen. She was always cooking something, usually from my grandpa’s garden. He grew all kinds of vegetables and had a cousin who raised cows and another cousin that raised pigs. Everyone shared their harvests, and we had a real community sense of eating.

My upbringing shaped food sensibilities and I believe in eating local, seasonal, and organic when possible. Local foods are more nutritious, better for the environment, and help the local economy. Because vegetables haven’t traveled as far to get to your plate, they contain more vitamins, less fuel used to transport them, and the money goes to a farmer in the area. I call it conscious consumption – being aware of what you eat, how it affects your body, and ultimately future generations to come.

By seeking out the best quality seasonal ingredients, not that much needs to be done to the food to make it taste its best. I’m all about good, simple comfort food, so you won’t find super intricate recipes here. Comfort food isn’t just big fattening food either, it can be elegant and chic as well.

I love to cook, entertain, travel, shop, surf, etc., so keep checking back here for all of my latest adventures!

post-17383-1259995302_thumb.jpg

http://www.katieleehome.com/blog/?p=38

Feeding America

post-17383-1259995399_thumb.jpg

Went to Washington, D.C. to speak on a panel about hunger in our country. I serve on the council of a terrific organization called Feeding America, which is a network of food banks in America. I think most people would be surprised to find out that 1 in 8 Americans is suffering from hunger.

http://feedingamerica.org/partners/enterta.../katie-lee.aspx

http://www.katieleehome.com/blog/?p=32

• 4 weeks later...