Bellazon

Katie Lee Joel
Thumbnail

Celebrity Chefs at Home: Katie Lee Joel

Most of us didn’t know who Katie Lee was until she added the "Joel." But having a famous husband is not her only claim to fame. This girl can cook!

After hosting the first season of the ever-popular Top Chef, Katie Lee Joel was asked to pack up her knives and not return for a second season. A tough pill to swallow, Joel did not let the cool reception cool off her desire to bring her cooking know-how to the public. Hot off the publicity tour for her first cookbook, The Comfort Table, Joel sat down to tell us all about the creature comforts of the New York City home she shares with husband Billy and their two pugs, Fionula and Sabrina.

DELISH: Describe your personal style in three words.

KATIE LEE JOEL: The 3 C's: casual and classic with a touch of couture.

D: What's your favorite room in the house?

KLJ: My favorite room is definitely my kitchen. It's the heart of the home.

D: What's the one feature in your kitchen you couldn't live without?

KLJ: My coffeepot! I need my caffeine to give me a jolt in the morning.

D: What is your ideal day at home?

KLJ: My ideal day would be a leisurely one. I'd get up and take the dogs for a walk, then come back and have coffee while reading all of the newspapers. Afterward, I would do an hour of yoga on my terrace and then off to the farmers’ market to pick up some fresh veggies to make a nice lunch.

That’s not too far off from an average day for the young Katie Lee growing up in West Virginia. There she spent many hours helping her grandmother Dora prepare meals for the tight-knit family. At just 4 years old, Joel learned the true meaning of seasonal cooking, as most of their ingredients were sourced locally from her family’s vegetable garden, cattle ranch, and pig farms. Now in her own home, she maintains an organic garden to use in her own recipes.

D: When you just want to make something simple, quick, and delicious, what do you prepare?

KLJ: Logan County Hamburgers, a thin hamburger with cheese served on white bread, kind of like a grilled cheese. Always a crowd-pleaser!

D: What's the one kitchen item you recommend every cook should have on hand?

KLJ: Everybody should have a mini food processor. It's such a time-saver!

Joel is happy to kick back whenever she can with family and friends around the table. Despite her celebrity status, comfort food is the menu of choice with a little splash of her Southern roots.

D: What are some of your most memorable food moments?

KLJ: When I look back, my favorite memories are almost always around the table. As a little girl, I always looked forward to weekend breakfasts at my grandparents' house. My grandpa and my uncle would tell stories and make all of us laugh, and we all enjoyed each other's company. Now, I love to invite my friends to dinner at our home because it is so much more intimate than meeting at a restaurant. People feel free to tell all types of stories, to laugh louder, and to stay longer.

D: Which famous person would you invite to your house for dinner?

KLJ: I would love to have Barack Obama over for dinner, and I'd make some good, old-fashioned comfort food. I'm sure he could use some home cooking after being on the campaign trail so long!

Source: http://www.delish.com/cooking-shows/celebr...-katie-lee-joel

6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Katie Lee Joel tells Sheryl, Creator of Leashes and Lovers that the Piano man's biggest fan definitely kisses his feet. www.LeashesandLovers.com

What's at the Piano Man's feet (Billy Joel).mov

Katie Lee Joel tells Sheryl, creator of Leashes and Lovers what's hers and his. (Billy Joel's)

Billy Joel's Pug-Traitor.mov

Canine couture is always more fun with a friend and Katie Lee Joel tells Sheryl, Creator of Leashes and Lovers her shopping excursions include her pug. www.LeashesandLovers.com

Katie Lee Joel is Paw-sitively Pug.mov

No cheating at the Billy Joel house! Katie Lee Joel keeps her pugs on a strict diet - she tells Sheryl, Creator of Leashes and Lovers. www.LeashesandLovers.com

What's for Pug's dinner at the Joel House.mov

Katie Lee Joel tells Sheryl, Creator of Leashes and Lovers of one of she and Billy's common bonds - their dogs. www.LeashesandLovers.com

Katie Lee Joel - 4's Company.mov

Chef Katie Lee Joel tells Sheryl, creator of Leashes and Lovers how she and Billy Joel's 2 pugs feed their needs. www.LeashesandLovers.com

Katie Lee Joel - Tour Dog.mov

Rachael Ray and Katie Lee Joel make a Spiced Apple Cobbler

...with Pumpkin Ice Cream and Caramel Sauce

This fall dessert is a recipe from Katie Lee Joel.

Ingredients

* 6 large (about 8 cups) Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and sliced (use Granny Smiths for a more tart flavour)

* 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice

* 2 1/2 cups sugar, divided

* 2 cups all-purpose flour

* 2 teaspoons baking powder

* 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided

* 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

* 1 cup whole milk

* 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted

* 2 tablespoons cornstarch

* 1 cup boiling water

* 1 quart store-bought pumpkin ice cream

* Store-bought caramel sauce