Bellazon

Gennaro Ivan Gattuso
Thumbnail

sandy

GATTUSO TO FIFA.COM: "We are the favorites"

MILAN - Milan midfielder and Italian international Rino Gattuso gave an interview to Fifa.com in which he talked about the European championships which start on 7 June in Austria and Switzerland: "Obviously we are the favorites. After all we are the world champions and we qualified ahead of France, Scotland, and Ukraine. Sure, we are playing in a group where, like us, France and Holland can aim for the title and the same goes for Germany, who rarely lose the big games, for Spain, Portugal, and for defending champions Greece. Donadoni did well to improve our tactical flexibility bringing in important players like Ambrosini, Aquilani, and Di Natale."

• 2 weeks later...

RINO'S AZZURRI HEART

In the Azzurri's training camp, Rino Gattuso, who will not be able to play against Spain on Sunday, spoke during a press conference. - THE WORDS OF GATTUSO -

MILAN - Here are the declarations made Milan midfielder and Italian international Rino Gattuso, who spoke in a press conference today at the training camp of the Azzurri ahead of Sunday's match against Spain, to which the Rossonero will not be able to participate because of suspension. (figc.it)

ON THE DECLARATIONS OF SPANISH COACH ARAGONES:

"I took it as a compliment because I agree with what he said: it's true that I'm a fighter and he praised me for my characteristics. Pirlo is a fundamental player which they don't have. Spain lack a player with those characteristics. Certainly, if I were him I would not become a priest, he already has a certain age, let him enjoy the rest of his life normally."

ON THE AZZURRI:

"Since we are Italian, we like superstition and we try to do the same things. There's a united group which is working in the same direction, we know that our group makes the difference. Spain are a tough opponent, they look like the Barcelona team which won the Champions League two years ago. I think, however, that Italy don't have anything less than Spain on a technical level. They have a different mentality, if we tried to play 20 passes consecutively they would whistle us."

ON DONADONI:

"Donadoni is always on the balance because of the clause in his contract: whether he stays or not is our last worry. In football there is not gratitude and we know that we always have to show something. The principal problem is to beat Spain, for the rest we will see. Donadoni? He's a good person, he's able to manage 23 players, which isn't easy. And he knows how to behave with athletes. Also Lippi, who had won everything, had difficult moments. It's normal that it happens to Donadoni, he's a nice person, you can talk with him and small misunderstandings were always resolved through dialogue. Especially, he knows what he wants from his players. I'm a bit angry when I hear that this national team doesn't belong to anyone: those who represent the Federation help us and no one better than us can know it, we have relationships with Abete and all the others."

ON CASSANO:

"He looks very charged up, on a football level it's not a surprise. He has skills and he's able to do incredible things, the only worry is for his behaviour... but I don't want to bring him bad luck. Also because until now he has behaved very well. The older he gets, the better his behaviour becomes. Against Spain he can help us win. Capello? He did not imitate him, he says he wasn't doing an imitation that time. With us, in any case, he doesn't do any imitations: he just sings, he has a good voice. Could he be a singer? No, better a footballer."

ON ADVICE FOR HIS TEAM MATES

"It's better to play than staying out, because the tension will be high. Advice? In this type of game it doesn't count much. But I will be on the pitch with my heart."

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...