Bellazon

Gennaro Ivan Gattuso
Thumbnail

sandy

Gattuso Relishing Derby

Milan midfielder Rino Gattuso cannot wait to face Inter this weekend in a clash which is decisive for both teams...

Gattuso spoke about the upcoming derby game against the Nerazzurri which could decide both the Scudetto and fourth place races, and therefore holds a lot of importance for both teams.

"It's a very nice experience to play in such key games," declared the international midfielder during the TV program on Sky, 'Attenti a quei due'.

"These are games which give you a great adrenaline rush," he continued. "We surely cannot lose the derby.

"Since the 23rd of December, Inter have gained just two more points than us. It's an open game, they will be without many players, and we have the awareness that we can play it."

Captain's Table

With regards to the next Milan captain after Maldini steps down, Gattuso has no doubts that it should be Massimo Ambrosini.

"It's fair that the next Milan captain is Ambrosini, and I told the directors this many times," he enthused.

"It's fairer that the captain's armband is carried by a player who has been at Milan for many years," concluded Gattuso.

Gattuso: Get Toni, Not Ronaldinho

Gennaro Gattuso has sensationally come out and declared that he doesn’t want Milan to sign Ronaldinho, asking for the club to buy Luca Toni instead.

Ronaldinho

The Brazilian is certain to leave Barcelona at the end of the season, following a troubled campaign, and Milan are strong favourites to snap him up.

However Gattuso has sensationally come out against the 28-year-old’s signature.

"On Ronaldinho, we already have players with his characteristics,” said Ringhio.

“There is Pato, there is Kaka, there is also Seedorf, we need a different type of player. We shouldn't be talking about Ronaldinho.

"If someone asked me who we should sign, I would say Luca Toni [of Bayern Munich]. We have no-one of his characteristics at the club."

Toni has hit a stunning 36 goals in all competitions for the Bavarian giants this campaign.

Derby

Gattuso also spoke about the upcoming derby game against Inter which could decide both the Scudetto and fourth place races.

"It's a very nice experience to play in such key games," declared the international midfielder during the TV program on Sky, 'Attenti a quei due'.

"These are games which give you a great adrenaline rush," he continued. "We surely cannot lose the derby.

"Since the 23rd of December, Inter have gained just two more points than us. It's an open game, they will be without many players, and we have the awareness that we can play it."

Captain's Table

With regards to the next Milan captain after Paolo Maldini steps down at the end of the season, Gattuso has no doubts that it should be Massimo Ambrosini.

"It's fair that the next Milan captain is Ambrosini, and I told the directors this many times," he enthused.

"It's fairer that the captain's armband is carried by a player who has been at Milan for many years.”

Gattuso’s future at Milan was thought to be in some doubt, but it seems he will now be staying.

Matrix: I Want Gattuso At Inter

Inter hardman Marco Materazzi has looked ahead to this weekend’s derby with Milan, and has called good friend Gennaro Gattuso to join him at the Nerazzurri.

Derby

The two city rivals meet at San Siro on Sunday, with Inter knowing that they could clinch the Scudetto with victory.

"It is the most important derby in history," Materazzi told Sky Sport 1.

“My son David is unfortunately still a fan of Milan. He wishes to come to the derby with his Milan shirt on, but I abolished this idea, because it is not possible."

Milan have struggled badly this year, and need to win themselves if they are to hang onto hope of catching Fiorentina in fourth place, and thus qualifying for the Champions League.

"Milan have had a particular year, where many people have been tired,” Materazzi continued.

“They haven’t had Inzaghi available for much of the year, and Gilardino has had some difficulties.

"It is the dream of all Interisti to win the Scudetto in the derby. Ancelotti is perhaps more afraid of losing because, if Milan were to lose on Sunday, I think that they would have many difficulties to qualify for the Champions League.

“If we were to lose, touch wood, we would have two other possibilities to win the Scudetto.”

Gattuso

Materazzi was then asked, if there was one player he could steal from Milan for Inter, who it would be.

"Only one? It would be too easy to say Kakà, but I say Gattuso,” he replied.

“If he wanted to come here, there would be problems.”

Mancini

Finally the 34-year-old was asked about the future of Coach Roberto Mancini, who has been heavily linked with an exit at the end of the campaign.

"It is up to him to say [whether he is going to stay]. I hope that he does, otherwise we will see what happens," Materazzi concluded.

Gattuso: I'm Made For The English Game

Milan’s bullish midfielder Gennaro Gattuso has reiterated that it's his dream to play in the Premier League...

Ringhio’s future with the Rossoneri is open to speculation after a lacklustre season during which time his relationship with boss Carlo Ancelotti has reportedly broken down.

Now, the midfield general is looking elsewhere – insisting that he’s perfectly suited for the Premiership.

“I would love to have the chance to play in the Premier League,” the former Rangers man told Sky Sport Italia.

“It’s a dream that I have always had and I have never hidden that fact. I think I have all the right characteristics to play in the Premier League.”

Rino is still gunning to end the disappointing season with Champions League football. Milan trail fourth-placed Fiorentina by two points with two games remaining.

He also insists that the all-English Champions League final between Manchester United and Chelsea is down to their adopting the Italian mindset.

“I would like to be involved in the Champions League next season. I have won two of them and we gave one to Rafa Benitez as a present,” he smiled, recalling Liverpool’s epic comeback against Milan.

“From what I saw in the semi-finals, the English teams played the Italian game, there was a lot of Catenaccio (Italian defensive tactics).

“When I began playing, people used to say that the Italian game was anti-football and that we only think about defending. However, in the end the English copied us.”

Player Ratings: Milan 2-1 Inter

Carlo Garganese rates the players on show at San Siro yesterday afternoon…

Kalac – 6.5: Slightly nervy at times but made one excellent stop from Crespo’s one-on-one and also produced a smart stop from Maxwell’s free kick.

Bonera - 7: Impressive display from the former Parma man, who was equally adept both defensively and offensively. His crossing was also good.

Nesta – 7.5: Proved once again why he is one of, if not the best, centre back in the world. Gave a lesson in the art of slide tackling today.

Kaladze – 6.5: The Georgian breezed through the first 60 minutes without working up a sweat, but had to be alert as Inter upped the ante late in the game.

Favalli – 7: Excellent in the first half before he was forced off on 41 minutes with an ankle injury. Bombed forward repeatedly down the left-hand side. A real surprise.

Ambrosini – 9: Superb in the middle-of-the-park. Ambrosini was first to every ball, got stuck in, distributed well, and was a real leader. Created Kaka’s goal, and won his battle with Vieira hands down.

Gattuso – 7.5: Gattuso’s most impressive game for Milan possibly this season. Won every tackle he went in for, and was a real presence. Did tire though and was eventually substituted.

Pirlo – 6: Far from his best game, but still Pirlo started many of Milan’s moves with some neat and clever passes. His free kicks were disappointing.

Seedorf – 8.5: Such a delight to watch when he in this form. One of the few old-school number 10’s left in the game. Inter could not get the ball off him.

Kaka – 8.5: If it wasn’t already evident – Kaka is back. Created Milan’s first for Inzaghi, scored the second, while he also presented SuperPippo with two excellent chances in the first half. Rivas couldn’t handle him.

Inzaghi – 8.5: His movement is at times unplayable. Inzaghi broke the deadlock following a trademark run to the near post. He could have scored four today, twice being denied by Julio Cesar, and heading centimetres wide. Must go to Euro 2008.

Subs: Jankulovski 6, Brocchi 6, Pato 5.5

Wenger Linked With Gattuso Bid

According to the Guardian, Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger could be set to break with tradition and bid for Milan’s Gennaro Gattuso.

Gattuso has been heavily linked with a move away from Milan at the end of the season, and earlier today Italy captain Fabio Cannavaro stated his belief that the midfielder would seek a new challenge.

"I know Ringhio - obviously he will be short of motivation,” stated the Real Madrid star.

“He's won the World Cup and two Champions Leagues, what else can he do?"

The Guardian says that Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is lining up a surprise bid for Gattuso, as he looks to replace midfielder Mathieu Flamini, who ironically signed for Milan on a Bosman transfer yesterday.

Wenger has never hidden his admiration in the past for Gattuso, and openly declared a few years ago that the hardman was his favourite Italian player.

However the fact that Gattuso is now 30, and has struggled physically this year, makes a possibly transfer to the Gunners seem unlikely.

Wenger is well known for his policy of signing young players, however a third season on the trot without a trophy, may push him to look for the odd experienced player this summer.

Beckenbauer: We Want Gattuso

Bayern Munich president Franz Beckenbauer has declared that the club are desperate to sign Gennaro Gattuso this summer.

Gattuso’s future at Milan is uncertain following a disappointing season both on a personal and team level.

The Italian press has been speculating for a few weeks now that the midfielder is eager for a fresh challenge abroad, a wish that the Rossoneri are willing to grant him despite public declarations from the club that he will be staying.

Three of the biggest clubs interested in signing him are Manchester United, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.

Indeed Bayern’s general manager Uli Hoeness confessed several days ago that they would like to snap the midfielder up.

This has now been confirmed by the highest and most powerful figure at the Bavarian giants, as the legendary Franz Beckenbauer has declared his wish to bring Gattuso to the Allianz Arena.

"We like Gattuso a lot,” stated ‘der Kaiser’.

“He would be the ideal reinforcement for next year: he is the man for the Champions League."

Bayern Munich will return to Europe’s premier club competition after a one-year absence, following their crowning as the new Bundesliga champions at the weekend.

Bayern Offer Gattuso Huge Contract

According to reports in Italy, Bayern Munich have drawn up a huge contract offer for Milan midfielder Gennaro Gattuso.

The 30-year-old’s future at Milan is uncertain following an under-par season at the club.

The Italian press has been speculating for a few weeks now that Gattuso could depart for foreign shores in the summer, and at the moment new German champions Bayern Munich are considered as the favourites to snap him up.

Yesterday Bayern president and legend Franz Beckenbauer declared that the club were desperate to buy Gattuso.

"We like Gattuso a lot,” stated ‘der Kaiser’.

“He would be the ideal reinforcement for next year: he is the man for the Champions League."

It has now been reported that Bayern are ready to offer Gattuso a stunning four-year contract worth a whopping €6m-a-season. Gattuso currently earns €4.5m on his Milan deal which runs until 2011.

Meanwhile Luca Toni is said to be desperate to see Gattuso link up with him in Bavaria next term, as Bayern look to construct a squad capable of challenging for the Champions League. The club have not won Europe's premier club competition since 2001.

Gattuso Agrees Terms With Bayern

Gennaro Gattuso has agreed personal terms with Bayern Munich and will soon sign a four-year contract to join the club, according to Controcampo.

Gattuso’s future at Milan has been uncertain for a number of weeks now, with the Italian press speculating that he will quit the club in the summer for a new challenge abroad.

A number of big European clubs have been linked with the 30-year-old, including Manchester United and Real Madrid, but it is Bayern Munich who had really made their interest known.

Yesterday it was reported in the media that the Bavarian giants had drawn up a huge contract offer for Gattuso.

Controcampo now says that the midfield hardman has accepted these terms, and he will sign a four-year contract at the club worth just under €5.5m-a-season.

All that remains now is for Bayern and Milan to agree on a transfer fee, with the Rossoneri said to be demanding at least €12.5m.

Milan have accepted that there is no chance of persuading Gattuso to stay, although they may ask for a cherry in the deal, in the form of French full back Willy Sagnol.

Sagnol has had a miserable season at the Allianz Arena, having fallen out with Coach Ottmar Hitzfeld, and like Gattuso, may seek a new challenge following eight years in Germany

NAPOLI-MILAN

GOALKEEPERS: Fiori, Kalac, Offredi;

DEFENDERS: Bonera, Digao, Favalli, Jankulovski, Kaladze, Nesta, Oddo, Serginho, Simic, Ambrosini;

MIDFIELDERS: Ba, Brocchi, Gattuso, Kakà, Seedorf;

STRIKERS: Gilardino, Inzaghi, Pato.

• 2 weeks later...

FRIENDS LIKE BEFORE

Adriano Galliani and Rino Gattuso held a press conference tonight to comunicate the midfielder's decision to end his career with Milan. - THE DECLARATIONS -

MILAN - Here are the declarations made during a press conference by Adriano Galliani and Rino Gattuso:

RINO GATTUSO:

"I'm not leaving because I cleared up all my doubts. We discussed some issues these days, but it wasn't about money. I'm ending my career with Milan, I'll certainly stay until 2011 and it will be important to leave because if I didn't do it now, I certainly won't do it later. After 2011 we'll see what to do.

The captain's armband? There are some hierarchies and they should be respected. At the moment Paolo Maldini is still the captain and it's right to refer to him as the captain. When he quits it will be Massimo Ambrosini's turn as he's the current vice-captain, and after that I'm next.

It's true that I was here at the Via Turati headquarters for an hour this morning and two hours tonight, but it's also true that this morning I spent much more time saying goodbye to the various people working there rather than talking to Adriano Galliani, also because after nine years it's right to respect all the people who are a part of this club.

Staying here makes me proud also because you only have to look around to see how many Cups have been won. Also because Milan have won the most titles of any club in the world and they are certainly one of the world's most important club."

ADRIANO GALLIANI:

"I relied on the sentiment which always distinguishes our club. We wanted Carlo Ancelotti to be with us because it was right to talk about these problems in his presence.

19 May is an important date because this is the day we started creating a new Milan, a winning Milan already next season. Later we will talk with the coach to see what his ideas are. The first objective will be the Scudetto, but we'll also try to win the Uefa Cup. We'll have 7-8 new players because we want to cancel out the 23-point gap from Inter."