Bellazon

Irina Pantaeva
Thumbnail

Korravai

On 3/12/2019 at 5:16 PM, Minerva13 said:

ELLE Russia October 2018

Good news!Russian top models 90's & 2000's Eugenia Volodina,Inna Zobova,Natalia Semanova,Sisters Lida & Alexandra Egorova,Tatiana Zavialova,Irina Pantaeva and Angelica Boss remember their modeling career and talk about their current life.
 :happy: Scanned by me

elle russia oct 2018 10.jpg elle russia oct 2018 11.jpg

I loved this whole article, all the models shared amazing stories about their careers.

I loved Irina's story especially, it is so inspiring and heart-warming, she is truly a Buryat Cinderella! And I am absolutely sure that good things happen to good people.

I decided to translate it if someone is interested :blush:

It is really a very nice article, please don't hesitate to spend two minutes to read.

I'm not a translator in any way and my English isn't perfect, so please excuse any mistakes :flower:

IRINA'S STORY

"I left Russia in the early nineties, miraculously gotten a French visa, and ended up in Paris. My appearance was extraordinary, drastically different from what fashion industry was used to. The girl with an exotic asian look couldn't get accepted - agencies just turned me down. I've heard this all the time: "Too weird!", "Not commercial", "You don't even look like a human!" But I didn't give up. I landed a housekeeper job for a while. My mom stayed with my little son in Buryatia and I had to make money to provide for my family. On the mornings and evenings I washed floors, in the daytime - was running errands for castings. It was March 1994, I walked the street and suddenly saw a queue of beautiful girls near a bulding. It turned out to be a Givenchy casting and one of the models told me that Karl Lagerfeld is looking for candidates for his show, and suggested to me to come together. That's how we gotten at a threshold of the legendary fashion house. At that time my English was really poor and I kept on repeating, like a parrot, three phrases which I've memorized on the way: "My name is Irina. I came from Siberia, Russia. I came here to meet Karl Lagerfeld". With this speech I surprisingly climed up the stairs from one floor to another until I've finally met Karl's permanent assistant - and repeated my speech once again. He smiled, took me by the hand and walked me to Karl Lagerfeld's office! The designer was sitting at his table at the moment and asked: "Who are you?" And I go: "My name is Irina. I came from Siberia, Russia. And I'm so happy to meet you". We both laughed out loud. Then he dicided to arrange a fitting. When the dresses were brought, I started to turn them iside out - I was curious to see them in all the details! My mother worked as a costumer in a buryat theather her whole life, and I totally understood what a colossal work was done. That's why I sincerely complemented his work ("Very good".) He laughed and asked me to walk. Then I said: "I need music". They turned on some music, and I put on a real show! The show must go on! We started trying one dress after another. At the end Karl asked me: "What are you doing tomorrow? Do you want to participate in the show?" I was about to lose consciousness! But clarified: "Will there be music?" - "YES!" - "Then I'll come!"
The next day I've gotten at the backstage, the show took place in Louvre. I was sitting on the floor, with hair and make up, and there were Claudia Schiffer, Naomi Campbell, Linda Evangelista, Kate Moss, Christy Turlington running around me. Carla Bruni came up to me: "Who are you?! Why we didn't see you before?! I'm sure you're gonna make it big in fashion. Do you want to come with us to New York the next week?" I couldn't believe this is happening to me in reality. The next challenge was to draw up an American visa in my Soviet at that moment passport. It was impossible, but it miraculously happened - I've gotten my visa in a day, and I actually flew to New York. That's how my modeling career started".

Chanel F/W 1994

026-chanel-fall-1994-ready-to-wear-CN10010296-irina-pantaeva.jpg 076-chanel-fall-1994-ready-to-wear-CN10053036-irina-pantaeva.jpg 095-chanel-fall-1994-ready-to-wear-CN10053046-irina-pantaeva.jpg 173-chanel-fall-1994-ready-to-wear-CN10010330-irina-pantaeva.jpg

vogue.com

An interview (in English) with Irina on a Mongolian show (thanks to Sweet rus for posting it on tfs :flower:)

I was surprised to know she is not just a daughter of a theatre costumer, but has a degree in design herself.

And she is truly a brilliant woman, well-educated, intelligent and grateful :heart:

Vogue US October 1995
"The Rei Way"
Photographer: Irving Penn
Styling: Phyllis Posnick
Hair: Oribe
Make-up: Francois Nars

The Rei Way by Irving Penn 01.jpg The Rei Way by Irving Penn 02.jpg The Rei Way by Irving Penn 03.jpg The Rei Way by Irving Penn 04.jpg

Vogue Archive via aracic @ tfs

===

Irina  has shared her memories on Irving Penn in her instagram:

"On this snowy day, remembering a Legendary Irving Penn. We have shared many unforgettable moments shooting for Vogue, drinking tea and discussing Art and Life. Every person that came across my professional and personal path, has become my greatest teachers."

Christian Dior F/W 1997

Also pictured Shalom Harlow

"I loved performing at Galiano shows. It was not only Theatrical on stage, but was very entertaining backstage. Imagine, if we had social media and iPhones at that time ? All the glamorous, fun, dramatic, all Star quality moments I enjoyed documenting on my own." - @irinapantaevaofficial

1880857258_ChristianDior1997WomenRTW85.thumb.jpg.196295b11bf8b110d008c362df66eefd.jpg 498872068_ChristianDior1997WomenRTW86.thumb.jpg.2eb7e704497dd7eb53c1cdc295bc1d32.jpg 1616517640_ChristianDior1997WomenRTW87.thumb.jpg.860b9314cceebbae629f27ccdca69769.jpg dior-fw1997-01.jpg dior-fw1997-02.jpg dior-fw1997-03.jpg

3 pictures were originally posted by ArianaVSCouture here

22 minutes ago, Minerva13 said:

ELLE Russia (№ 5) December-January 1996/97

''Jersey style & simplicity''
Photographer:Gilles Bensimon

Model:Irina Pantaeva

Hair:Michel Aleman

Make up:Susan McCarthy
Stylist:Jon Moore

Scanned by me
for you dear friend @danny-19 :flower:

Aww it's so sweet of you, thank you so much! :heart::blush: