Bellazon

Joan Smalls
Thumbnail

nana58625

Anyone who has seen Joan Smalls stalk the runway like a warrior goddess might not think that she ever needed any kind of encouragement—but what she did need was the chance to convince others. “When I first started,” Smalls says, “it never picked up for me, doing shows.” That changed when Riccardo Tisci booked her to walk the Givenchy Couture runway exclusively at the 2010 fall collections. “He saw my potential,” she says. “And it changed people’s perspective.”

She’s now so well known for that regal mien that it’s almost a surprise to discover just how playful she can be. After the shoot, when she’s leaving the set, *rocker-chic in a baseball jacket and Helmut Lang leather pants, Smalls rides down in the elevator with the assistants. Holding the door for them, she snaps her fingers, teasingly telling them to “C’mon, hurry, hurry, hurry!” before falling into a gale of giggles.

“People don’t expect me to have a girly voice when they see me walk like that. They might not think that I’m funny,” Smalls remarks. She pulls off the false eyelashes that were applied for the shoot and says, laughing, “I feel much better.” But with her tilted, seductive eyes, she looks as though she’s still wearing the fake lashes. Smalls, who grew up in the countryside of Puerto Rico, gets the “What is she?” question a lot. She takes out her iPhone to show the spectrum of skin shades in her family. (Her mother is a fair Puerto Rican; her father is black, from St. Thomas.) “I’m a little bit of everything,” she says. “Sometimes people think I’m not Puerto Rican, because my name doesn’t sound Spanish.”

But as if there were any doubt, the 23-year-old boricua proved her birthright on the shoot. “They put on Hector Lavoe, the famous Puerto Rican salsa singer, and I started dancing in my six-inch stilettos,” she explains. “They had me jumping, I was dropping it to the floor, I was whipping the jacket in the air. But you have to have coordination, to know where the camera is, to make sure you give a good angle, because sometimes you do weird faces when you dance”—she illustrates, biting her lips and scrunching up her nose—“and you have to realize you’re still working!”

For both Kloss and Smalls, making that kind of effort look perfectly effortless is all in a day’s work. “I just have something to prove,” Smalls says. “I know I’m representing a group—black, Latin, whatever you want to put me with—and I want to show that they are beautiful the way they are. I think that’s really important for our youth to see. Fashion is part of our culture,” she says. “And it’s about more than just a pretty dress.”

wmagazine.com

Fendi F/W 12.13 Ad Campaign by Karl Lagerfeld make%20it%20clap.gif

post-31828-0-1446110694-07261_thumb.jpg

MADE IN THE SHADE: Just call him Mr. Decisive. While Fendi’s fall collection was parading the runway in Milan in February, Karl Lagerfeld made up his mind about the ad campaign when his eyes landed on model Joan Smalls wearing look No. 44: a yellow fur coat with an orchid-inspired motif. “I said to myself backstage during the show: It’s her and her alone. No other girl - or boy - no child, only her. She had this incredible golden, glowing skin that made her look like some Etruscan beauty,” Lagerfeld told WWD. “She is also a great girl to work with, and we had great fun.”

Intent on bolstering Fendi’s “strong Italian identity,” the designer chose as the shoot location a hilly site dotted with olive and cypress trees in Chianti, about 40 miles outside of Florence. “I wanted an Italian landscape - but not a summery one,” he explained. “We had bad weather, but it was exactly the mood and the colors I wanted.”

Lagerfeld and his crew, including Lady Amanda Harlech and the stylist Charlotte Stockdale, shot the campaign around a former vineyard. “We had to wait that the rain stopped but that was also what gave us the right light.” The campaign is slated to break July 15 in August magazines.

Lagerfeld had previously photographed Smalls, casting her for Chanel’s spring 2012 campaign opposite Saskia de Brauw (who, incidentally, is to appear in Chanel’s new cruise campaign).

wwd.com

Fendi F/W 12.13 Ad Campaign by Karl Lagerfeld make%20it%20clap.gif

post-60487-0-1446110695-80531_thumb.jpg

MADE IN THE SHADE: Just call him Mr. Decisive. While Fendi’s fall collection was parading the runway in Milan in February, Karl Lagerfeld made up his mind about the ad campaign when his eyes landed on model Joan Smalls wearing look No. 44: a yellow fur coat with an orchid-inspired motif. “I said to myself backstage during the show: It’s her and her alone. No other girl - or boy - no child, only her. She had this incredible golden, glowing skin that made her look like some Etruscan beauty,” Lagerfeld told WWD. “She is also a great girl to work with, and we had great fun.”

Intent on bolstering Fendi’s “strong Italian identity,” the designer chose as the shoot location a hilly site dotted with olive and cypress trees in Chianti, about 40 miles outside of Florence. “I wanted an Italian landscape - but not a summery one,” he explained. “We had bad weather, but it was exactly the mood and the colors I wanted.”

Lagerfeld and his crew, including Lady Amanda Harlech and the stylist Charlotte Stockdale, shot the campaign around a former vineyard. “We had to wait that the rain stopped but that was also what gave us the right light.” The campaign is slated to break July 15 in August magazines.

Lagerfeld had previously photographed Smalls, casting her for Chanel’s spring 2012 campaign opposite Saskia de Brauw (who, incidentally, is to appear in Chanel’s new cruise campaign).

wwd.com

Great shot :clap: I wanna see more pics from Fendi campaign :woot: