Bellazon

Gabriel Heinze
Thumbnail

JS[SHRIMP]

Racing Santander: Tono; Pinillos, Moraton, Cesar Navas, Ayoze; Jorge Lopez, Duscher, Colsa (Orteman, min.81), Serrano (Smolarek, min.57); Munitis (Pablo Alvarez, min.65) and Tchite.

Real Madrid: Iker Casillas; Sergio Ramos, Pepe, Cannavaro, Heinze; Gago, Diarra, Sneijder (Baptista, min.89), Robinho (Higuain, min.75); Robben (Balboa, min.86) and Raul.

Referee: Cesar Muniz Fernandez. Booked Serrano (min.17), Moraton (min.34), Tchite (min.49), Pinillos (min.51), Cannavaro (min. 80).

Goals:

0-1 (min.13): Raul

0-2 (min.90): Higuain

Player Ratings: Racing Santander 0-2 Real Madrid

Real Madrid produced a clinical display to keep their second clean sheet in eleven and first back-to-back wins since January as La Liga is now all but theirs...

Casillas - 6: Made some decent stops, but also a couple of uncharacteristic fumbles. It was a Real Madrid clean sheet, but for once, it wasn't down to Casillas.

Ramos - 7: A strong defensive performance. With Real Madrid actually fielding two wingers, he was not required going forward as much as usual, but he battled well all game.

Cannavaro - 5.5: A little shaky. Was beaten more times than he would have liked and was lacking a little composure at times. Made some good challenges and provided good cover at times as well. Overall, an average performance.

Pepe - 7: Solid. Stood his ground well, was strong in the challenge and didn't look like being beaten, shone in the second half when he was needed the most; quietly went about his job to good effect.

Heinze - 9: Man of the Match, and his best performance for Real Madrid yet, as he has had a brilliant April so far. He was rarely required going forward, but that's not his strength anyway. He stayed tight to his man at all times and made things as difficult as possible for Racing, sweeping around on the cover a number of times and made sure that, irrespective of Racing's movement and pace up front, they would get no joy.

Gago - 6.5: Put in a great performance in the first half. Put in the hard, defensive graft and also put together good passes and rarely gave away possession. In the second, he got a little wayward with some stray passes and late challenges. Possibly caught by surprise when Racing's energy levels remained high until the end; could maybe do with a rest, but looks a class act in the making.

Diarra - 8: A rock-solid showing from the Malian, most definitely doing his claim for a first team spot no harm at all. He was absolutely unbeatable and dominated the middle of the park. He put himself about wherever he was needed and showed he's no mug on the ball either. Often forced Racing wide, as they knew they could not get through him in the middle.

Robben - 7: As usual, his running was a joy to watch but he did not release the ball quickly enough. Too many times he hindered the team by choosing not to pass. Missed a great chance to kill the game with what would have been one for the highlight reel when he crashed a half-volley wide of the target.

Sneijder - 7.5: Was all over the park, relishing the free role. Involved in almost every move, and his energy was a real asset to Real Madrid going forward.

Robinho - 6.5: Slowly getting back to his usual self. His rise to prominence has come at a cost, as he is the most tightly marked man in Real Madrid's team now. Nevertheless, a beautiful assist for the goal and a decent showing.

Raul - 7: In the right place at the right time to get a slight touch on Robinho's cross. Showed great energy, put in work all over the park and his technique was exceptional at times.

Substitutes: Higuain - 7 (good energy, well taken goal), Balboa - 6, Baptista - n/a.

Casillas & Heinze

'We're close to winning the title and we cannot let it escape"

Iker Casillas and Gabriel Heinze commented on Real Madrid's important victory against Racing Santander on Sunday.

Casillas:

“It’s an important victory, not just because we won three points, but because it increases our lead on opponents like Barcelona. We are happy to have won in such a difficult stadium. The first goal by Raúl calmed us down somewhat. Then we had two or three good chances to wrap it up, but Racing played hard and we knew that could do damafge of set pieces on such a small field. Our defense was great. We’re calm knowing we got out homework done”

“You can’t sound the victory bells just yet, although we’re only a small step away. We have everything going for us, but we can’t count our chickens before they hatch. We’ll wait to see what happens with our upcoming matches because we still face opponents who have a lot to play for. We’re close to winning the title and we cannot let it escape. We’ve been on top from the very start and I think we deserve to win the title again.”

Heinze:

“It was a very important victory, but I’m not celebrating just yet. The team was solid in defense and effective in attack on what was a tricky pitch. It was an important statement to the rest of the league, but there’s still one more step before winning this title.”

Heinze: Ayala's The World's Best Centre-Back

Real Madrid and Argentina defender Gabriel Heinze has confided that his idol and favourite defender is international teammate Roberto Ayala...

Ayala has not had the best of seasons since moving to Real Zaragoza from Valencia (via Villarreal), but Heinze contends that the veteran stopper is well worth emulating.

RealMadrid.com recounts his telling As: "Roberto Ayala is the best centre-back in the world in my opinion. There will never be anyone like him.

"I've seen him do things that no one else can do. He's an example for all of us. I spent six years playing with him and he taught me so much."

But as for his true role model, that honour went to another albiceleste great.

"Diego [Maradona] was always my idol," he said.

"Maradona made me feel things no other football player could. We have a good relationship.

"Diego nowadays feels just like any old player. From what I've heard and seen, his teammates always came first. That's what I call a true captain. He always fought for his teammates first and then himself.

"Is Raúl like that? I don't know Raúl that well, only from this year, but he's the reference point of this Madrid both on and off the pitch. The most important aspect of Raúl is that he sets an example on a daily basis, and that's a lot to ask of a captain."

Madrid Developments

Heinze was asked about where he feels most comfortable playing at the Bernabéu.

"When you get older you tend to gravitate towards the centre, but I like both positions," he said.

"Does Casillas help? Yes, we get into it every so often, but he's phenomenal. I think he's doing a great job.

"There are always problems on the pitch. There's a lot of shouting, and if you have to insult a teammate to get his attention, you do it. But once the match ends it's all over. I don't have the credentials to judge Iker, but he's among the best in the world.

"When will we be able to celebrate the Liga title? I don't know, but just thinking about it gives me goosebumps. We've gone through so much wear and tear this year to make Madrisismo happy. I don't care when it happens. I am only thinking about winning on Sunday."

Heinze Wants Ronaldo Reunion

Real Madrid fullback Gabriel Heinze hopes that Cristiano Ronaldo will eventually follow him to La Liga, but admits that the transfer is "impossible" at present...

Mention Gabriel Heinze’s name around Old Trafford and you’re likely to get a frosty glare.

The Argentinean spent nearly three years with Manchester United, making 53 appearances, before becoming embroiled in a transfer saga that almost led him to rivals Liverpool before Real Madrid swooped for him last year.

The 30-year-old has witnessed Red Devils’ gaffer Sir Alex Ferguson’s transfer market stubbornness first hand, and thus admits that the idea of Real luring Cristiano Ronaldo to the Santiago Bernabeu is somewhat far-fetched.

However, he insists that he’d love to see his Portuguese former-teammate join up with Los Merengues at some point.

"Yes, we should sign him, but I believe it is impossible," Heinze conceded.

"While Cristiano continues at his level, and knowing Alex Ferguson, I believe that it will be very difficult for Madrid to sign him.

"He is enjoying glorious times in Manchester and Ferguson was the man who helped him reach this level. While Ferguson is still there, there is little chance of signing him.

"He is a lad who has always spoken well of Madrid, but in Manchester he is making huge strides and it is normal that he doesn't want to change. He is young and has plenty of time to come to this team."

• 2 weeks later...

1- OSASUNA: Ricardo; Javier Flano (Pandiani, 62’), Cruchaga, Miguel Flano, Monreal; Azpilicueta, Punal, Astudillo, Vela; Portillo (Sola, 62’).

2- REAL MADRID: Casillas; Ramos, Cannavaro, Pepe, Heinze; Raul (Higuain, 64’), Diarra, gago, Robben; Sneijder (Baptista, 84’); Saviola (Torres, 52’).

GOALS:

1-0, m.83: Punal.

1-1, m.87: Robben.

1-2, m.89: Higuaín.

REFEREE: Luis Medina Cantalejo. Booked Azpilicueta (14’), Heinze (37’), Cruchaga (37’), Sneijder (51’), Diarra (53’), Miguel Flano (54’), Torres (66’), Punal (74’), and sent off Cannavaro (11’ & 46’).

Real Madrid celebrate their 31st league title at Reyno de Navarra Stadium

The champions' first words

The league title belongs to Real Madrid. As soon as the referee blew the final whistle, the players took the pitch and celebrated their victory.

Bernd Schuster

"We deserve this title. We played with ten men better than with eleven. It seems we needed adversity to be successful. It's been beautiful to win the league today. I am sure the fans are enjoying themselves. Our good work makes us just victors."

Pepe

"I am very happy with my first league title. We are anxious to arrive in Madrid and celebrate with the fans. This team has proven to be the best. We want to go to Cibeles."

Casillas

"We are very happy because most of the game was drawn 0-0, but Higuaín's last-minute goal made us burst with joy. We want to celebrate winning the title."

Gago

"It's been incredible. The match was very tough and we luckily won."

Ramos

"It's been complicated, but we fought till the very end, even when things were looking bad for us. Hope is the last thing you lose. The important thing now is to get to Cibeles and celebrate the title with our fans."

Heinze

"My heart is filled with joy. This is the most beautiful thing that can happen. Our goal was to win the league. All of us at Valdebebas deserve this title."

Heinze: We Deserve The Credit

Real Madrid defender Gabriel Heinze insisted the team must take credit for their incredible 4-1 win over Barcelona in el Clasico, instead of chalking it up to a bad performance from the Blaugrana...

The biggest club game of the season in Spain and arguably Europe, and poised so delicately toward the end of the season, many expected this game to decide the title.

As it turned out, Madrid wrapped the title up last week in Pamplona against Osasuna, with a dramatic turnaround in which they scored two goals in the final five minutes, having gone behind to a late penalty.

Today's game, then, was the showpiece. They were allowed to play without too much pressure, while Barcelona also only had pride to play for, their poor season came to a head, as stage fright saw them 2-0 down at the Santiago Bernabeu this evening wth less than 20 minutes gone.

Real dominated - it was their performance of the season, without question - and added a third when super-sub Gonzalo Higuain scored his from the bench for the fourth game running, and Ruud van Nistelrooy, returning from injury, added a fourth from the penalty spot with his first touch of the game.

Game Faces

Thierry Henry scored a sweetly taken consolation goal, but that will be a mere footnote in the history books, as Gabriel Heinze dedicated the win to the Real Madrid fans, and opined that Barcelona's particularly poor start to the game may have been the result of nerves.

“You get nervous during a match. That's just football for you," he shrugged. "Sometimes one team is worse than the other and vice versa. That's just how it goes. Now it's time to have fun.

"Tonight's match was for our fans. We wanted to win and we would have guaranteed this score even before kick-off. We came out like we're supposed to in every match. We brought our game faces.”

The Argentine insisted, though, that it was not a matter of Barcelona being weak, and that los Merengues were just too good on the day, and deserve the credit for the victory.

“We cannot say Barcelona was a weak team today. Real Madrid deserves the credit," he insisted.

“We ran the risk of coming out relaxed, but we were focused. Scoring first was crucial. It was the key to the match.

"When things go well we don't feel fatigue. It would have been different had they scored first, but when there's an atmosphere like tonight's surrounding this team, we don't feel tired at all."

Perfect

Pepe, Heinze's partner in central defence this evening, told the club's official website of his joy following his debut season with the club. He added that despite being champions and emerging victorious from el Clasico, Madrid would not be letting up, and would go to Zaragoza this weekend just as motivated to pick up another victory.

“Not only Higuaín performed well, but the team as a whole was perfect, he declared. "We have to have a lot of respect for this shirt and that's what we did tonight because we are professionals.

“We have to play our game in Zaragoza because we want to continue this great run and close out the season in fine form.

“It's been a great season, but I still have a lot to learn. I push myself harder every day and hope to help the team in any way I can. I am very happy to be here and to have been able to play this match the way in which did.”

Heinze: Ronaldo Will Stay Loyal

Former Manchester United full-back Gabriel Heinze believes Cristiano Ronaldo will remain to Sir Alex Ferguson and resist any overtures from Real Madrid.

Gabriel Heinze left Manchester United for Real Madrid but believes it would be difficult for Los Merengues to tempt Cristiano Ronaldo to follow suit.

Argentine defender Heinze cannot see Ronaldo leaving Old Trafford as long as his mentor Sir Alex Ferguson remains in charge of United.

There is persisten media speculation in Spain linking the newly-crowed Primera Liga champions with a move for Ronaldo, who is about to complete the best season of his career with United.

The Portuguese winger has hit 40 goals in all competitions, been crowned the Players' Player of the Year and the Football Writers' Footballer of the Year, and could yet collect Premier League and Champions League winners' medals this month.

But although sections of the Spanish press continue to talk optimistically about Real Madrid mounting a successful bid for Ronaldo, Heinze is sceptical.

The Argentine knows Ronaldo well from his own spell at Old Trafford, and does not see his former team-mate moving to the Bernabeu anytime soon.

"I talk with him [Ronaldo] all the time and I tell him how great this club is, and the nice things that Madrid has, but I know that [it] is very difficult for him to come because he has a coach who had trust in him when he was younger," Heinze told Radio Marca.

"Whilst Ferguson is at United it is very difficult. He is a fundamental part of their plans."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...