Thumbnail

dcrim

From the associated press

post-3940-0-1446108775-92538_thumb.jpg

Fashion -- 'Rush Hour 3' star strong in looks, spirit

8/15/2007 8:22:47 AM

By Samantha Critchell

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Noemie Lenoir gets her turn on the big screen in "Rush Hour 3," but this exotic French model has been turning heads for years.

You can't call her a classic beauty in either the blond bombshell or sultry brunette molds -- and that's what first grabs your attention. Today she's sporting sheared blond hair against naturally bronzed skin -- but it's sometimes her hair is brown, too.

Her unique look -- which she traces to a French father and a mother from the small Indian Ocean island of Reunion -- makes her attractive to global brands, Ralph Lauren, H&M, Tommy Hilfiger and Gap, among them. She's also a L'Oreal Paris spokeswoman along with Milla Jovovich, Scarlet Johansson and Beyonce.

She says not even she can quite describe her look.

When she was "discovered" at the age of 16 in a post office in Versailles, France, Lenoir says she hadn't given modeling a thought and wasn't really ready to do so. "I wanted to finish school. I wanted to play with my friends," she says. She expected she'd eventually go on to study veterinary medicine, she explains during an interview at a rooftop garden of a hip downtown hotel.

Lenoir, now 27, looks cool -- even though it's warm. She has on a loose sundress with ropelike straps in that easy, breezy, incredibly chic way that French women wear things. She'll be a New Yorker soon, though: She's spending some of this trip house-hunting for a place for herself and her 2 1/2-year-old son Kelyan to call home. (Keylan's father is French soccer player Claude Makelele.)

Lenoir learned to speak her almost perfect English on her first stint living in the U.S., just after she turned 18. "I had an American boyfriend. I know the best fighting words!"

Lenoir thinks it's her strong spirit that has moved her into the world of movies. The first characters she played -- in the French movies "Asterix & Obelix: Mission Cleopatre,""Gomez & Tavares" and "Doublure" as well as her American film debut in "After the Sunset" with Pierce Brosnan, Woody Harrelson and Salma Hayek -- were all very strong, tough women and she felt as if she were really just playing herself in another time, place and situation.

Her character in "Rush Hour 3'," a mysterious performer named Genevieve, is also a force to be reckoned with, but Lenoir says the experience of making a big-budget movie was unlike anything else she had ever done. "It was so intense to live through the movie. I didn't know all about special effects. The whole crew is a machine."

Some of her favorite movies are those that combine action with a message, such as "Blood Diamonds.""It made me think that I might not buy diamonds anymore -- I like Swarovski crystals now. A boyfriend will be happy to hear that!"

Lenoir isn't ready to give up entirely modeling for movies yet. She still gets a charge when she hears the music on the set of a photo shoot or puts on an amazing piece of handiwork.

"I'm lucky I'm still getting modeling jobs. I won't stop until the opportunity stops," she says. "It's what I'm good at."

Her beauty secret? "Every night, I clean my face and I drink a lot of water. I take care of my skin -- that's the most important thing."

Lenoir has even managed to keep connected to her childhood dream of working with animals. She is a spokeswoman for the World Wildlife Federation, concentrating on the preservation of animals and plants in the islands where her mother was raised. She's especially fond of the colorful fish and the striking waterfalls and volcanos.

Credit Elle UK

FWD - Article Link

France's New Goddess - L'Oreal Spokesmodel Noemie

Lenoir Takes Cannes By Storm

Elle UK

Noemie at FORD,NYC

What was your best holiday ever? In New York with

friends

Where will you be going on holiday this year? I want

to swim with the dolphins in Hawaii

What do you always take on holiday? My collection of

sunglasses (10 pairs), vanilla-scented candles, and