Bellazon

Chris Pine
Thumbnail

follow the angel

More from Armani & enterview

post-64088-0-1446164991-62414_thumb.jpg post-64088-0-1446164991-63258_thumb.jpg

post-64088-0-1446164991-64623_thumb.jpg post-64088-0-1446164991-65415_thumb.jpg

Chris Pine

You better believe it. Our Jo met the mega hunk and new face of Armani Code Ice, Chris Pine for a chat about Irish connections, red carpet rules and his weakness for an Irish accent …

OK Chris, pop quiz: Ireland. Whatta you know?
Well, I’ve been to the Aran Islands, Inismore and Galway and I’m sure I have Irish blood in me, as every American on the planet does! I love (Martin) McDonagh. I think he’s one of the best playwrights today. Oh, and I do have a special affinity for the Belfast accent and a Northern Ireland accent. I didn't do a full-on Galway Aran Island accent when I played in a production of The Lieutenant of Inishmore. It was for an American audience so I did a very dummied down version of which I’m not too proud …

Don’t worry, we put it to the office and we were VERY satisfied that you did the accent well.
Well, I appreciate that very much – thank you!

Your roles have been pretty varied – is that something you do consciously? Like, you’ve gone from Star Trek to the prince in Disney’s new Cinderella adaptation Into the Woods to a comedy role in Horrible Bosses 2.
It’s just more fun than doing the same thing over and over again. I enjoy singing so the opportunity to sing on camera for that movie (Into The Woods) was great. It’s also nice not to be a lead! I got to come in for 2 weeks on Horrible Bosses and then get out! And working with Jason Bateman, Meryl Streep and Emily Blunt was great, they’re all amazing.

So, Armani. We’ve sussed out the team and they’ve really loved dressing you for red carpet events. Was that what led you to becoming the face of Armani Code?
It actually began with the fact that I really respect Mr. Armani’s work, from the story of him as a craftsman to the story of him as a person. Anyone who opens a million dollar 5thAvenue store and in the same day gives money to the schools in New York who need dough, that speaks to the man. As an artist and a craftsman and as a person of the world, he’s incredible. The craftsmanship is exactly what I look for in the clothing – simple, great lines, elegant, tasteful, timeless…

So you like to get dressed up? 
As an actor, for some of our favourite actors of all time clothing has been a great part of the image of it all. Marlon Brando in A Streetcar Named Desire with the t-shirt and the sailor pants, or Paul Newman with his Rolex and the Daytona and his ID bracelet – I mean they’re iconic images and clothing is a huge part of it.

So are you the person quizzing the costume department on set? Annoying them with loads of questions?
Absolutely! I recently worked with Coleen Atwood on Into The Woods. She’s a multiple academy award winner and to see the craftsmanship of these pieces is unbelievable. To learn the language of clothing was incredible, from stitching to the different materials involved and references they’re using and the time it takes … Clothing is a big part of Hollywood and I enjoy being part of it.

Ok – it's quick fire round time.
Let’s do it!

Favourite piece of clothing?
I found these white crewneck cotton t-shirts, I don’t even remember where, but the cotton must be from angels. I would sleep with it and use it as a pillow if I could. Whenever I travel I take them with me.

Pet peeve?
I hate watching myself. I’m in the business of movies so I have to but it’s painful! I mean, yeesh. First of all, you want to do a good job and there are so many times you’ll think ‘Ok, I KNOW I did different versions of that take, why did they choose THAT one?’ or, ‘why was I so bad in that scene?’ and of course you’re going to be critical, but it’s your work and your face and you take pride in it and often want to do a better job. And physically seeing yourself projected on the screen is like mortifying, just mortifying. I had really bad acne as a kid (note; at this stage I am so overcome with an image of Chris as a wee little spot-faced boy I scream awwwww!) so every time I see myself I’m like, ‘that pock mark is THAT big.’  You know, you’re a human being. You do get used to it over time. At this stage I’ve seen myself from so many sides and so many angles. You get over it.

Favourite website
I love this one called atavist.com, which is a collection of fiction.

Favourite breakfast
Eggs Benny!

Favourite city
Impossible. Just impossible.

Well LA is home right?
Yep

So would you choose that by default?
(silence) Not necessarily …

Your people are there! Your family!
Oh I don't know … New York … It’s pretty great.

You studied in England but we hear you ALMOST chose Trinity. Rats!
Yeah, I chose English ‘cos I wasn't sure what I wanted to do and I like reading. I didn't actually choose Leeds. I was late getting my stuff together for studying abroad and it was way down on my list but it ended up being great. I got to learn to have a good time because the northerners know how to have a really good time. But on the studying side they have a great English program and it was really fun. On spring break I went to Italy for the first time …

What do you miss about Leeds college life? Not hangovers obviously!
I liked the deadlines. I don't miss writing papers at all… and I REALLY don't miss math class. It was all very simply really

I get the feeling you were a secret grungy teenager. Am I right?
Yes! Ugh, when Kurt Cobain died, I remember where I was when that happened. I think skipped school. I definitely went through that whole phase … I listen to all sorts of music now but I love Jazz. That’s my go to. I don't use an iPod. I read on flights or watch movies. I just inherited all of my dad’s old LPs and turntables, which is very exciting.

What’s he going to do? You’ve taken all of his music!
No he’s got iTunes! He’s all good.

OK, last question: What are you watching right now?
I don't watch TV much, but House Of Cards and Breaking Bad. And I must catch up onDownton Abbey. Cable TV has some of the best artists right now. There isn’t as much of a disparity between TV and film now.

@image.ie

Chris Pine Out of ‘Fool For Love’ at Williamstown Revival Festival

Very unexpectedly, Chris Pine has had to be replaced as “Eddie” in Fool for Love due to scheduling conflicts beyond his and our control. I spoke to Chris about this decision and he wanted to pass along the following message:

“This conflict is such a disappointment – I had genuinely looked forward to being back at the Williamstown Theatre Festival, where I was first an Apprentice in 2000, and later grew as an actor in the 2002 Non-Equity company. My love and respect for the Festival knows no bounds. Unfortunately, the realities of shifting film commitments have suddenly made it impossible for me to appear this summer.”

@Deadline.com

LAX Airport (June 30)

post-64088-0-1446165004-92427_thumb.jpg post-64088-0-1446165004-93705_thumb.jpg post-64088-0-1446165004-94403_thumb.jpg post-64088-0-1446165004-95105_thumb.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfXy7az5sLc

Chris Pine: 'We're Pretty Awful' in 'Horrible Bosses 2'
The 33-year-old actor recently opened up about his upcoming role in Horrible Bosses 2, which is set to hit theaters on November 26.

“We’re pretty awful but Christoph Waltzdefinitely brings that kind of bizarre, light-hearted sadism to his part,” Christold USA Today. “In one scene, Charlie Day and Jason Sudeikis were being brutally funny. And I couldn’t keep it together. And there’s Jason Batemanoff camera not cracking a smile at all. He’s the ninja of improv comedy, where I am just the baby in it.”

@justjared

USAToday: Pine, Waltz bring the bad to ‘Horrible Bosses 2'

— What goes around comes around, except when it takes a wacky detour.

Jason Bateman, Charlie Day and Jason Sudeikis each suffered under abusive employers in the 2011 black comedy hit Horrible Bosses.

But now the fortunes have turned as the gang is back together in Horrible Bosses 2, opening Nov. 26 with a trailer hitting the Internet today. This time they are the managers from hell, but in the most inept way possible.

“It turns out we’re pretty horrible at being bosses and running a business,” says Day. “We’re hiring people for the wrong reasons, and not firing people for the wrong reasons. And then we have our business stolen.”

The work situation looks promising for the three inept pals in this new chapter directed by Sean Anders. They stumble upon an invention called The Shower Buddy — mixing shower water, shampoo and soap in one go — which attracts father-son investors played by Christoph Waltz and Chris Pine.

It’s only when the bumbling trio get their business act together that they find out their investors have swindled them — news delivered on the ninth green of a golf course.

“That’s when we find out we got duped,” says Day. “To make up for the injustice we dip our toes into the waters of illegal behavior. Once we open up Pandora’s Box again, it spirals out of control, and comedy ensues.”

In the first film (which earned a respectable $117.5 million, according to Box Office Mojo), the group set out to kill their employers after getting bad advice from a big-talking criminal, played by the scene-stealing Jamie Foxx. He returns in an expanded role, advising the crew in a plot to take Pine’s character hostage to ransom back the company.

The original film’s bad boss Kevin Spacey, now in prison for his business crimes, gets a visit from the three for advice — “he’s not to happy to see us,” says Day. Jennifer Aniston returns as the sexual predator dentist Dr. Julia Harris, an audacious role that inspired Pine.

“She’s pretty out-there,” he says.

But it’s Pine and Waltz who bring the true malevolence in this sequel, a specialty for Waltz since 2009′sInglourious Basterds.

“We’re pretty awful,” says Pine. “But (Waltz) definitely brings that kind of bizarre, light-hearted sadism to his part.”

Pine says he did his best to keep up with Sudeikis, Day and Bateman in terms of displaying comedy chops. He refers to the trio as the meeting point of “the Marx Brothers and the Three Stooges.”

The heavily improvised scenes were particularly challenging as Pine tried to keep the dialogue coming while not laughing out of character.

“In one scene, Charlie and Jason (Sudeikis were being brutally funny. And I couldn’t keep it together,” says Pine. “And there’s Bateman off camera not cracking a smile at all. He’s the ninja of improv comedy, where I am just the baby in it.”

@chris-pine.org

• 1 month later...