Bellazon

Erin Heatherton
Thumbnail

chrisis511

Erin Heatherton: Retouching is part of the job

Erin Heatherton has warned it’s vital for people to remember models sell “a fantasy”.

The Victoria’s Secret Angel doesn’t have a problem with campaign images being retouched, although she knows some places can go too far. She knows there is a media furore about the use of Photoshop in some images – models’ ribs have been removed from some pictures and their legs drastically slimmed down – but insists fashion fans should always be aware that everyone has flaws.

“I think it’s people’s own prerogative to be able to look at something and know the difference between, ‘This is what someone looks like with make-up on,’ and, ‘This is what they look like in real life,’” she told fashionista.com.

“This is what happens when you do a photoshoot; retouching is an essential part of our job, you know. We’re not selling reality; we’re selling a story. It’s all about creating this fantasy. And I don’t think people should confuse fantasy and reality because no one is perfect.”

Erin admits it isn’t “a fair message” when models are made to look thinner in images. However, she maintains it is usually so obvious that too much is being made of the situation at the moment. She claims that if people are raised in a positive environment and accept their body, they will understand such pictures are unattainable.

“It’s not a fair message, but at the same time I think we’re all intelligent enough to know the difference between what’s real and what’s not. I think that’s something that children should be taught by their parents, it should be taught in schools,” she said. “Healthy body image is not something that you’re going to learn from fashion magazines. But at the same time, Photoshop makes things look beautiful just as you have special effects in movies.”

yahoo