Bellazon

International Rugby Players

Chic_Raul_ista

Servat set to join Toulon "army"

2LT8v.jpg

According to various reports in the French press, Toulouse hooker William Servat is set to become the latest high-profile player to join Toulon.

33-year-old Servat, who has 43 caps for France, is believed to have agreed to a three-year deal starting next term. After 13 seasons at Stade Toulousain, the 2011 World Cup finalist is hoping to revitalise his career with the ambition of playing at the 2015 RWC in England. "I always saw myself as a one-club man but, little by little, I've started telling myself that might not necessarily be the case," admitted Servat in November after initially seeking a two-year extension at Toulouse.

Now, la ''Buche'' (the Log) seems set to follow the example of former team-team Cedric Heymans, who left for Bayonne after ten years in the Ville Rose. Servat is set to join the growing squad of superstars in Toulon with Sharks playmaker Frédéric Michalak having also recently agreed to join Mat Giteau, Jonny Wilkinson et al. on the French South coast. Club president Mourad Boudjellal has spoken of his desire to build an "army" capable of winning the Top 14 title. "We're looking for a loosehead prop, a hooker, a lock and a number eight," said Boudjellal recently, adding that the latter would be a world-class player.

According the local newspaper Var Matin, at least five other players have agreed to join RCT including London Irish lock Nick Kennedy and England full-back Delon Armitage. The newspaper also suggests that a number of players including Laurent Emmanuelli, Eifion Lewis-Roberts, Jean-Philippe Genevois, Kris Chesney, Dean Schofield, Joe El Abd, Joe Van Niekerk, Fabien Cibray, Matt Henjak, Willie Mason and Christian Loamanu could all be released.

PR

SBW denies League switch rumours

2xDrD.jpg

Sonny Bill Williams has denied the increasing speculation that he is on the verge of sealing a return to Rugby League.

SBW's name was in the headlines in Australia once again over the weekend after the Sydney Morning Herald and the Sunday Telegraph reported that he is set to join the Sydney Roosters for a whopping AU$800,000 (GB£ 528,000) a year, for five years. Williams was spotted at a breakfast meeting with his agent Khoder Nasser, Roosters supremo Nick Politis and Channel Nine boss David Gyngell at a harbourside cafe in Sydney on Saturday, adding fuel to rampant rumours that the former Crusaders and Toulon centre is eyeing a move back to the LNR in 2013. The World Cup-winner, who will fight Richard Tutaki for the New Zealand heavyweight boxing belt on February 8, has signed for the Chiefs in 2012 but the NZRU have admitted that Williams did not sign a longer deal as he wanted to keep his options open for 2013.

The Australian reports suggest that Williams, who walked out on his contract with the Bulldogs in 2008 to join French club Toulon, is simply marking time until a clause in his release from the Bulldogs - which prohibits him from playing for a rival NRL club for four years - has expired. But the player and his agent have comprehensively denied the growing rumours. "There is no chance of any deal being made or announced in the next couple of days, not even in the next couple of months," Nasser told the Daily Telegraph. "Nothing was agreed, it was just a casual breakfast catch up," Williams told Fox Sports News. "Things get blown out of proportion just like usual."

Williams did however confess that returning to league is "definitely an option." Meanwhile, New Zealand Islamic leaders are pushing to have Williams listed among the world's 500 most influential Muslims. They are disappointed he failed to make the 2011 list and will be writing to compilers - the Royal Islamic Strategic Studies Centre in Jordan - to have him included next year. The Centre says its annual list provides a window on the "movers and shakers of the Muslim world", gives an insight into the ways Muslims impact on the world, and "shows the diversity of how people are living as Muslims today".

Federation of Islamic Associations of New Zealand senior vice-president Javed Khan said he will be writing to the centre to tell them about Williams, the Herald on Sunday reported. "Sonny Bill Williams is probably the most famous Muslim in New Zealand and, in a Rugby World Cup year, has brought the faith to prominence," Khan said. "I think the only reason he was not included in the list is because these people are not aware of the existence of New Zealand's Muslim superstar and we'll be writing to them to make sure he's there next year." Williams converted to Islam in 2008 after attending prayer services at a Sydney mosque.

PR

RFU confirm Care axing

4H7Fl.jpg

Danny Care will take no part in the Six Nations after two drink-related arrests. The RFU have labelled Care's behaviour as 'deeply disappointing'.

The scrum-half was arrested for being drunk and disorderly on December 10 and in the early hours of New Year's Day was pulled over by police and found to have a blood-alcohol level that is believed to have been twice the legal limit. On form alone, the Harlequins man would be a shoe-in for a place in the squad but after Quins conducted an internal investigation in conjunction with England's caretaker coach, Stuart Lancaster, it was decided that Care would be fined by his club and not considered for England selection.

"I have met Danny and told him that he will not be considered for selection for the Senior or Saxons Elite Player Squads that are due to be announced on the 11th January for the forthcoming Six Nations campaign," said Lancaster. "This is his second arrest in three weeks for alcohol related offences and it is completely unacceptable. We will monitor his progress from this event through Harlequins and we have every confidence in the club to support him in the right way. At such a time that we feel he can be trusted to behave appropriately on and off the field then he will be reconsidered for selection, but this will not be until the conclusion of the Six Nations as a minimum."

Care, who will plead guilty on January 16 when he appears in court to face a charge of driving while under the influence of alcohol, admitted he had made a grievous error and accepted responsibility for both his actions and the sanctions handed down. "I do accept that I made a very bad decision on the evening in question and need to take the punishment that the courts hand out. I have decided not to contest the charge as I want to bring this to a close swiftly rather than have it hanging over my head for a year or more," said the 25-year-old. "I would stress though that at no time did I think I had drunk enough to be over the legal limit. However I should not have got into the car and have to accept the consequences of that action.

"I am devastated not to be selected for the Elite Player Squad for the Six Nations as I felt I had been playing near the top of my game with Quins. However I wish the team, and the other number 9s who come in to play the best of luck as playing for your country is the highest honour in the game and I will miss it hugely. It's now up to me to get my head down, keep playing well and learn from my actions. "Quins and Stuart have been very supportive and I totally accept their sanctions. I do understand the need for England players to be role models in the game and have tried to live up to that at all times, but have made a couple of stupid decisions in the past weeks. I can only hope for the chance in the future to prove those decisions were the exception not the rule. I am devastated because my actions have let so many people down." Care has been fined £10 000 by Harlequins and will be required to work on the club's inner city coaching programme until the end of pre-season 2012-13. He will also be provided with support and education around alcohol awareness.

Six new caps in Scotland squad

9jwC1.jpg

Scotland Head Coach Andy Robinson has named six uncapped players in his 36-man squad for the opening two matches of the 2012 Six Nations.

Scotland Squad:

Backs:

Joe Ansbro (London Irish), Mike Blair (Edinburgh ), Chris Cusiter (Glasgow Warriors), Simon Danielli (Ulster), Nick De Luca (Edinburgh ), Max Evans (Castres), Stuart Hogg, Ruaridh Jackson (both Glasgow Warriors), Lee Jones, Greig Laidlaw (both Edinburgh ), Rory Lamont (Glasgow Warriors), Sean Lamont (Scarlets), Rory Lawson (Gloucester), Graeme Morrison (Glasgow Warriors), Dan Parks (Cardiff Blues), Steven Shingler (London Irish) and Duncan Weir (Glasgow Warriors)

Forwards:

John Barclay (Glasgow Warriors), Kelly Brown (Saracens), Geoff Cross, David Denton (both Edinburgh ), Alasdair Dickinson (Sale Sharks), Ross Ford (Edinburgh ), Richie Gray, Dougie Hall (both Glasgow Warriors), Jim Hamilton (Gloucester), Robert Harley (Glasgow Warriors), Allan Jacobsen (Edinburgh ), Alastair Kellock (Glasgow Warriors), Scott Lawson (Gloucester), Moray Low (Glasgow Warriors), Fraser McKenzie (Sale Sharks), Euan Murray (Newcastle Falcons), Ross Rennie (Edinburgh ), Alasdair Strokosch (Gloucester) and Richie Vernon (Sale Sharks).

PR

France call up Fofana and Beauxis

3QSrc.jpg

New France coach Philippe Saint-André has named his 30-man squad for the 2012 Six Nations which includes uncapped Clermont centre Wesley Fofana.

France Six Nations squad:

Hookers: William Servat (Toulouse), Dimitri Szarzewski (Stade Français).

Props: Vincent Debaty (Clermont), Fabien Barcella (Biarritz), Luc Ducalcon (Castres) Jean-Baptiste Poux (Toulouse), Nicolas Mas (Perpignan),

Locks: Pascal Papé (Stade Français), Yoann Maestri (Toulouse), Romain Millo-Chluski (Toulouse), Julien Pierre (Clermont).

Loose forwards: Julien Bonnaire (Clermont), Yannick Nyanga (Toulouse), Thierry Dusautoir (Toulouse/C), Fulgence Ouedraogo (Montpellier), Louis Picamoles (Toulouse), Imanol Harinordoquy (Biarritz)

Scrum-halves: Morgan Parra (Clermont), Dimitri Yachvili (Biarritz)

Fly-halves: François Trinh-Duc (Montpellier), Lionel Beauxis (Toulouse)

Centres: Maxime Mermoz (Perpignan), Aurélien Rougerie (Clermont), Yann David (Toulouse), Wesley Fofana (Clermont)

Outside backs: Maxime Médard (Toulouse), Vincent Clerc (Toulouse), Alexis Palisson (Toulon), Julien Malzieu (Clermont), Clément Poitrenaud (Toulouse)

PR

RABODIRECT PRO12 - Day 12

1 Leinster - 44

2 Ospreys - 38

3 Glasgow Warriors - 34

4 Munster - 33

5 Cardiff Blues - 30

6 Scarlets 12 - 30

7 Benetton Treviso - 28

8 Ulster - 26

9 Edinburgh Rugby - 22

10 Connacht - 17

11 Newport Gwent Dragons - 13

12 Aironi Rugby - 10

(Cardiff and Newport with a game in hand)

Upcoming Fixtures - Day 13

06/01/12

Newport Gwent Dragons v Ospreys

Edinburgh Rugby v Ulster

07/01/12

Aironi Rugby v Connacht

Cardiff Blues v Leinster

Scarlets v Glasgow Warriors

Munster v Benetton Treviso

AVIVA PREMIERSHIP - Day 12

1 Harlequins - 47

2 Saracens - 40