Aironi Rugby vs Benetton Treviso

26/12/2011

Scarlets vs Ospreys

Leinster vs Ulster

Edinburgh vs Glasgow

Munster vs Connacht

France wing cops an extra month

Lqf3L.jpg

The French Anti-Doping Agency (AFLD) has handed French winger Yoann Huget another month's suspension for having missed three doping controls last season.

The 24-year-old Bayonne flyer - capped five times - had already missed the World Cup after he was slapped with a three month ban by the French Rugby Federation (FFR) for breaking dope testing whereabout rules. All players are required to make their movements known to officials so that drugs tests can be carried out.

In a statement the AFLD explained the motivation behind their decision -which was lenient given it is usually a suspension of over six months for this type of infraction - saying they had taken into account the fact he had missed out on the World Cup where France reached the final. Huget accepted that he was at fault, putting the missed tests down to negligence on his own behalf. He returned to action at the end of last month and has played three matches since for the Top 14 strugglers, who are fourth from bottom of the table and just three points above the relegation places.

* Jones set to coach Japan - Former Wallabies coach Eddie Jones has reportedly been chosen to replace All Blacks legend John Kirwan as Japan's coach.

*Jones gets top job with Russia - Former Sale Sharks boss Kingsley Jones has been elevated to head coach of Russia's national team, leading the side until RWC 2015.

* Skinner cited by ERC - Harlequins flanker Will Skinner will face a disciplinary hearing in Dublin on Thursday following his red card in Sunday's Heineken Cup win against Toulouse.

PR

Hayes to hang up his boots

vQeho.jpg

Veteran Munster prop John Hayes is set to retire after the Boxing Day clash with Connacht at Thomond Park.

Hayes, who represented Ireland in 105 Tests and the British and Irish Lions twice, was poised to quit at the end of last season after helping Munster to the domestic title. However he agreed a short-term deal to help the club out during the World Cup.

The 38-year-old, who made 211 appearances for Munster, has been on the outskirts at the province's since the Springbok BJ Botha has established himself as their first-choice tighthead prop. Stephen Archer has also come through the club's academy to make six appearances this season and with Peter Borlase back to full fitness Munster now have plenty of options up-front.

*Lawes extends contract with Saints - Northampton Saints lock Courtney Lawes has signed a new deal to remain at Franklin's Garden's until 2015.

PR

Paterson retires from Test rugby

R70dK.jpg

Scotland full-back Chris Paterson has announced his retirement from international rugby.

Paterson won 109 caps, scoring 809 points - both records - and is the only Scot to have appeared in four Rugby World Cup tournaments. The 33-year-old has been hampered by a groin injury of late, impacting on his place-kicking, and now Scotland are will enter the Six Nations Championship next year without the Edinburgh stalwart. "I've always said I wanted to bow out at the highest level of the game, while I still had the ability to go on," said Paterson.

"Since coming back (from the World Cup) I've had a while to think about it and I believe now is the right time to make my decision, especially when I've still been playing well at that level. "My biggest fear would be devaluing what I have achieved and devaluing the jersey. You have to stop at some point and this is the right time for me," he added. Scotland coach Andy Robinson paid tribute to Paterson. "What a fantastic career Chris has had for Scotland. He should be celebrated as one of Scotland's greatest ever internationalists," said Robinson.

"I respect his decision and thank him for all he has done. Having coached against him, he was a player I always earmarked as a real threat. "Coaching him has been a delight, primarily because of his many attributes, not least that constant desire to get better." Paterson, who will be 34 in March, will continue to play for Edinburgh until the end of the season, while there is the option of a one-year extension to his contract.

Heineken Cup fixtures confirmed

bc2Wi.jpg

Round Five: (Kick-offs GMT)

Friday, January 13, 2012

Pool 2 - Racing Metro 92 v Edinburgh (21.00)

Pool 4 - Ulster v Leicester Tigers (20.00)

Pool 5 - Ospreys v Benetton Treviso (20.00)

Saturday, January 14

Pool 1 - Scarlets v Northampton Saints (13.30)

Pool 3 - Montpellier v Bath (14.00)

Pool 4 - Aironi v ASM Clermont Auvergne (14.30) (Stadio Brianteo, Monza)

Pool 1 - Munster v Castres Olympique (15.40)

Pool 2 - London Irish v Cardiff Blues (15.40)

Pool 6 - Toulouse v Connacht (16.40)

Pool 6 - Harlequins v Gloucester (18.00)

Sunday, January 15

Pool 3 - Glasgow Warriors v Leinster (12.45)

Pool 5 - Saracens v Biarritz Olympique (15.00)

Round Six:

Friday, January 20

Pool 6 - Connacht v Harlequins (20.00)

Pool 6 - Gloucester v Toulouse (20.00)

Saturday, January 21

Pool 3 - Bath v Glasgow Warriors (13.30)

Pool 3 - Leinster v Montpellier (13.30)

Pool 4 - Leicester Tigers v Aironi (15.40)

Pool 4 - ASM Clermont Auvergne v Ulster (16.40)

Pool 1 - Northampton Saints v Munster (18.00) (stadium:mk)

Pool 1 - Castres Olympique v Scarlets (19.00)

Sunday, January 22

Pool 5 - Benetton Treviso v Saracens (14.00)

Pool 5 - Biarritz Olympique v Ospreys (14.00)

Pool 2 - Cardiff Blues v Racing Metro 92 (15.15)

Pool 2 - Edinburgh v London Irish (15.15)

PR

TOP 14

Bayonne 16-16 Castres

Stade Français 23 -10 Biarritz

Perpignan 38 - 13 Bordeaux-Begles

Toulon 20 - 15 Lyon

Racing Metro 26 - 8 Agen

Montpellier 25 - 45 Toulouse

Michalak heading to Toulon

zUiFX.jpg

Christmas has come early in Toulon with the announcement of the arrival of Sharks fly-half Frédéric Michalak after the Super Rugby season.

A veteran of 54 Tests, Michalak has long made clear his intentions of returning to France with the ambition of playing at the 2015 World Cup under new France coach Philippe Saint-Andre. He will however see out the remainder of his contract with the South African franchise and head to the South coast of France for the start of the 2012/2013 European season. Still only 29, the versatile former Toulouse playmaker (he can also play scrum-half) has signed for three years. "Nothing has been signed but there is a verbal agreement on a contract for three years," said Toulon president Mourad Boudjellal on Friday. Toulon are building a formidable backline as Michalak is set to join international stars Alexis Palisson, Mathieu Bastareaud, Matthew Giteau, and of course, Jonny Wilkinson.

Meanwhile, France full-back Clement Poitrenaud has signed a two-year extension to his contract with Top 14 side Toulouse, the reigning French champions revealed on Friday. The deal also includes an option for a further two years, meaning 29-year-old Poitrenaud, could stay with the club where he started his career until June 2016. Poitrenaud, who can also play at centre, is in his 12th season with Toulouse, with whom he has won the French title three times (2001, 2008, 2011) and the European Cup three times (2003, 2005, 2010).

In 255 official appearances for Toulouse, Poitrenaud has scored 64 tries, including 20 in the European Cup. He has also been capped 44 times by France, making his debut against South Africa in November 2001, although he did not feature at this year's World Cup in New Zealand. The announcement of Poitrenaud's extension comes just a day after centre Yannick Jauzion agreed to prolong his contract by one year.