Bellazon

Penelope Cruz
Thumbnail

chiva474128

Almodovar Directs Cruz In Homage To Cinema

Spanish director Pedro Almodovar pays homage to filmmaking and his muse Penelope Cruz in Broken Embraces, a movie about a director who has a passionate affair with his leading lady

The picture, Almodovar’s fourth collaboration with Cruz, which is in competition at the Cannes film festival, recalls “films noirs,” classic comedies and screen sirens of the past.

It includes a scene from Roberto Rossellini’s Viaggio In Italia starring Ingrid Bergman and George Sanders and the film-within-a-film revisits Almodovar’s 1988 hit Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown.

“I fully believe that cinema can make life more perfect,” the Oscar winner told reporters recently after Broken Embraces was warmly applauded at a press screening.

Cruz plays Lena, a secretary, who ends up in a relationship with her wealthy boss Ernesto. Also an aspiring actress, she is spotted by the charismatic director Mateo Blanco with whom she quickly falls in love.

When Mateo loses his sight in a car accident, he adopts his pseudonym Harry Caine and reinvents himself completely in order to avoid the painful memories of the past.

Almodovar likened his character’s experience to that of his home country, saying Spain rightly buried its past after the end of fascism in the 1970s.

“At that time, it was necessary to forget the past. Spain has been a democratic country for over 30 years now… Things have changed a great deal. The time has come to recover these memories from the past. It is even indispensable to do so.”

ACTING CHALLENGE

Cruz said playing Lena as well as Lena’s character in the film-within-a-film was a test of her acting skills.

“The film in the film wasn’t easier, I’d say quite the opposite, it was even more difficult,” said the 35-year-old, who has been battling a bout of ’flu in Cannes.

“Playing the same scene several times, once well and being a good actress and then playing it badly, is extremely subtle, very tricky,” added the star, who won a best supporting actress Oscar for Woody Allen’s Vicky Cristina Barcelona. “Sometimes on the same day I had to go from one character to another … so it was all a little bit confused.”

Asked to compare working with Almodovar and Allen, she said, “They could not be more different … With Pedro, we always rehearse for a long time before. Woody doesn’t like to rehearse. He really likes everybody to improvise. It’s really a very, very different way of approaching things.”

Almodovar is best known for strong female roles and he again paid tribute to the women who raised him. But the director, a favourite in Cannes, who has yet to win the Palme d’Or, said men would have more prominence from now on.

“So far my male characters intimidated me somewhat because for a male character, I had to take myself as a reference, but now I feel less and less intimidated and so you are going to find more and more male characters in my films.” Almodovar said he did not expect to win Cannes this year.

“I am going to be leaving Cannes on Friday so I don’t get the impression that I am waiting for an award,” he said, before adding: “But I am quite prepared to come back on Sunday even if it’s to get an award for the best actor or the best director.”

Also featuring in Cannes recently was Italian competition entry Vincere, directed by Marco Bellocchio. The film, based on the true story of a mistress cast aside by Benito Mussolini, offers a different perspective on the Italian fascist leader.

Source: Screen India

In Touch: Penelope Cruz sick with Javier Bardem’s baby, not food poisoning

post-19430-0-1446024423-10603_thumb.jpg

When Penelope Cruz was in Cannes for the film festival two weeks ago, she allegedly got very ill from some kind of food poisoning. I say “allegedly” because In Touch Weekly has an interesting little conspiracy theory about what was really going on behind the scenes. In their take, Penelope was praying the porcelain gods, yes, but it wasn’t because of food poisoning. It was morning sickness from being implanted with Javier Bardem’s love child! Oh, happy gossip! Don’t spread negativity around this one, please. Just let me have a few moments while I enjoy the thought of two gorgeous Oscar-winning Spaniards not only getting hot and heavy, but actually making a perfect Oscar-hot-baby:

Penelope Cruz, 35, reportedly couldn’t promote her upcoming movie, Nine, at the Cannes film festival because she had a bad case of food poisoning.

But an insider tells In Touch that some speculated her nausea was actually caused by morning sickness.

Penelope, who is dating Oscar-winning actor Javier Bardem, admitted recently that she’s ready to start a family.

“I’d love to have kids,” she said in April. “I think I would be a perfect mother.”

And while she’s also said she still wants to focus on her career, her close friend Salma Hayek, who has a 20-month-old daughter, Valentina, has convinced her that a baby will make her life better - and that the timing is right.

“Penelope and Javier are so in love,” an insider says.

[From In Touch, print edition, June 15 2009]

Now back to reality. Is Penelope really pregnant? I would say, probably not. But it is a possibility. Because, seriously, how many times could you have sex with Javier Bardem without - at some point - saying to yourself, “Damn, I should get pregnant by this sexy beast.” Yeah, I thought so. The rumor going around a few weeks ago was that Javier had proposed to Penelope at or around Salma Hayek’s Venice wedding - but nothing was ever confirmed. Neither Penelope nor Javier seem that traditional to me, so it’s perfectly possible that both would be up for having a baby without getting married.

celebitchy.com

Penelope and Her Pal Touch Down in LA

333906d.jpg

Penelope Cruz tried to go incognito in a hat and sunglasses while at LAX with a friend on Wednesday. She's in the US after her time at Cannes last month, not showing any signs of a rumored baby bump. Pregnant or not, it sounds like Penelope had fun stuffing her face with Fergie when they filmed Nine, and they can relive the good times this Fall before their movie hits screens in November.

post-19430-1245431475_thumb.jpg

post-19430-1245431491_thumb.jpg

post-19430-1245431500_thumb.jpg