Bellazon

Tennis

safin83

I went out and played tennis with my dad and then it started raining so I wasn't well warmed up. Either way either he is getting slower or I'm controlling my strokes better because he couldn't return many of my backhands very well. I mainly fooled around. A couple of guys watching were impressed. My dad thinks Federer's career is going on a decline, what do you guys think?

Nadal wins third Rome title

Rafael Nadal racked up his third Rome Masters title in a row when he cruised to a 6-2 6-2 victory over sixth seed Fernando Gonzalez.

The world number two had few problems beating Chilean Gonzalez, who struggled to get back into the final after making an error-riddled start.

The win gave Nadal his 13th consecutive claycourt title and extended his winning streak on the surface to 77 matches.

The Spaniard also equalled Thomas Muster's professional-era record of three Rome victories, though the Austrian won his over a period of seven years, in 1990, 1995 and 1996.

"It's incredible. To win here for a third time is a dream," Nadal said at the courtside, before admitting the match had been easier than he expected.

"Fernando made far more mistakes than usual and I took advantage of that."

Gonzalez had defeated Nadal in straight sets on the way to reaching the final of the Australian Open in January.

This time, however, the 26-year-old Chilean appeared out of sorts. The metronomic groundstrokes he had used to sweep aside Italian wildcard Filippo Volandri in the semi-finals deserted him.

Instead he made a succession of unforced errors, gifting Nadal breaks in the first and fifth games to lose the first set in just over half an hour.

He could not find his rhythm at the start of the second set either. A netted backhand, a shot that flew wildly off the frame of his racquet, and a forehand into the tramlines gave Nadal a break in the opening game.

When Gonzalez created his first breakpoint of the match in the following game, Nadal responded with a big first serve that the Chilean put over the baseline.

Nadal broke again in the third game and Gonzalez managed to pull a break back, but in the seventh game Nadal chased down a dropshot to flick a winner past his rival and restore his two-break lead, then served out for the match.

"It's very difficult to play against Rafael. I always thought I would have some chances, but he played good tennis - much better than me today," said Gonzalez.

Woah, so many posts in this thread since I last checked!

Quite a few of the young guns have now made it into the WTA top 10. Here's what it will look like on Monday:

1. Justine Henin 4119

2. Maria Sharapova 3388

3. Svetlana Kuznetsova 2867

4. Amélie Mauresmo 2701

5. Jelena Jankovic 2372

6. Martina Hingis 2279

7. Nicole Vaidisova 1957

8. Ana Ivanovic 1906 :)

9. Dinara Safina 1898

10. Anna Chakvetadze 1822 :)

The ladies are off to Rome next. Mauresmo is top seed but she could meet Serena in the quarter-finals.

And Nadal is just unstoppable. Gonzo just made too many errors today. That's Nadal's 77th consecutive clay win.

Hey I missed Serena in the last two tournaments. Is she injured or something? What about Venus? It seems like they're always injured. Nice to see you like Anna C. too :) . I actually think that Mauresmo and Venus when they're on are the only ones that can defeat Serena when she's on.

Hey I missed Serena in the last two tournaments. Is she injured or something? What about Venus? It seems like they're always injured. Nice to see you like Anna C. too :) . I actually think that Mauresmo and Venus when they're on are the only ones that can defeat Serena when she's on.

Of course I like Anna C, hence my username! :p

Serena and Venus are constantly injured or at least they say they are. But Serena has never really played that many tournaments in a year because she just has to turn up and she'll probably win the thing. I don't think Venus could beat Serena right now. Mauresmo possibly but she has some terrible matches where she doesn't seem to turn up. Justine Henin had match points against Serena in Miami a few weeks ago. She could definitely beat Serena,