Bellazon

Tennis

safin83

Hopefully, Naomi Osaka is okay after withdrawing from the tournament this evening. On one hand, I suppose I can see the perspective of people saying hey, she earns millions per year and this is the least one can do. On the other, post-match pressers have been unwatchable for a very long time now. The questions are basic at best, clueless at worst and usually met with curt, disinterested answers that offer as little as possible.

The best solution for all concerned would probably be to think about revamping the format. It's a real shame that one of the most forthcoming and insightful speakers on the tour is being put off doing them.

24 minutes ago, Michael* said:

Hopefully, Naomi Osaka is okay after withdrawing from the tournament this evening. On one hand, I suppose I can see the perspective of people saying hey, she earns millions per year and this is the least one can do. On the other, post-match pressers have been unwatchable for a very long time now. The questions are basic at best, clueless at worst and usually met with curt, disinterested answers that offer as little as possible.

The best solution for all concerned would probably be to think about revamping the format. It's a real shame that one of the most forthcoming and insightful speakers on the tour is being put off doing them.

I thought her explanation about withdrawing helped explain her state of mind, dealing with depression, etc. She also said she should have announced her desire to avoid the pressers differently.

One part of the tennis authorities (I forget who said it) response that made me laugh was the idea they need to make everything equal for all players. Things are never equal for everyone in any sport.

From a sporting perspective, with Osaka's withdrawal and Andreescu's loss, that quarter of the bracket is open for anyone hoping to make a run.

1 hour ago, jkjk said:

One part of the tennis authorities (I forget who said it) response that made me laugh was the idea they need to make everything equal for all players. Things are never equal for everyone in any sport.

I believe that was the jist of the Roland Garros statement, which I also had a hard time wrapping my head around. When the "official" position is that media appearances are emotionally and physically draining enough to create disadvantages in the first place, it really only serves to confirm Osaka's stance.

1 hour ago, jkjk said:

From a sporting perspective, with Osaka's withdrawal and Andreescu's loss, that quarter of the bracket is open for anyone hoping to make a run.

I couldn't help noticing that Barty and Swiatek are drawn to face each other in the semi-final. If they both get there, and obviously there's no guarantee that they will, I feel like it could be the beginning of a new rivalry on the clay.

19 hours ago, jkjk said:

And now Barty is gone.

Sad to see Barty have to retire hurt, particularly after being unable to defend last year through no fault of her own.

While the men's side is shaping up with only Thiem's exit really seeming notable so far, the women's draw is looking more and more unpredictable. If the unexpected were to happen again with Swiatek, dare I say things might just fall into place for Serena 24?

Frustrating for Sabalenka but an all too familiar tale today. Converting tour domination into grand slam form appears to be elusive and unfortunately, it's not new for her any more.

Despite Kenin being the highest seed left now, I think it's still Swiatek's to lose.

Big surprise to see Swiatek go out today. Up until this point she'd dominated the tournament and really no-one had managed to lay a glove on her. I thought she was a certainty to win it, but once again we see there's no such thing in sports.

19 hours ago, Michael* said:

Note to self: this is not the final.

Not the final, but a storming match all the same. Anybody who saw it will know how special it was, anybody who didn't would probably think you were being over the top if you explained it to them.

49 minutes ago, jkjk said:

Barbora Krejčíková with the rare singles and doubles win.

Great double win for Krejčíková. I wasn't at all familiar with her before the tournament started but I like her style of play, when the pressure is at its most intense she seems able to produce some of her best tennis which ideally is what we want to see.

3 hours ago, jkjk said:

Novak wins his 19th, maybe he will join the other two with 20 at Wimbledon.

Sad for Tsitsipas, but I think that was probably the difference between a champion and someone who, though undoubtedly on the way, isn't quite there yet. Strange as it feels to say about a man who was two sets to the good at one point, it somehow never really looked on the cards for him to beat Djokovic.

• 2 weeks later...

Crazy amount of falls so far at Wimbo. Honestly, it's gotten to the point where the order of play comes out and I'm looking at it hoping that favourite players are put on the outside courts instead of one of the two big ice rinks.

I've seen a few people saying that because the grass hasn't been played on for two years it's become more slippery, which seems a bit odd to me. Fingers crossed that's not the case.

• 2 weeks later...