Bellazon

Minka Kelly
Thumbnail

Stefani20

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Minka who?The 411 on No. 2’s No. 1 girl: Minka Kelly

post-17383-1252745258_thumb.jpg

Kelly was on hand last September to help Derek Jeter close down Yankee Stadium.

FACT: Yankees star Derek Jeter is the most eligible bachelor in New York, and therefore the world.

Fact: He could have any girl he wanted.

Fact: He wants . . . Minka.

That would be Minka Kelly, a beautiful 29-year-old actress. Kelly and the Captain have been dating for more than a year, and rumors abound that the two are secretly engaged, while her friends are buzzing that, for Jeter, she’s “the real deal.”

If this information is a nasty shock to the legions of New York City ladies who have long thought of themselves as the perfect Mrs. Jeter, there are two reasons. First, both the ballplayer and his girl won’t talk about their personal lives and keep as low a profile as a couple can when one half is a superstar shortstop. (Neither participated in this article.)

The other reason is simple: No one knows who exactly Minka Kelly is.

True, she’s a star of a network TV show, but that show is the critically acclaimed “Friday Night Lights,” which means no one watches it. She did have a role in August’s indie charmer “(500) Days of Summer,” but the audience for indie charmers is even smaller than for critically acclaimed TV shows.

Indeed, Kelly’s success has a bit of discovered-at-the-soda-fountain quality to it.

An only child, Kelly was born in Los Angeles but grew up in New Mexico. Her father is guitarist Rick Dufay; her mother (who died in 2008) was Maureen Kelly, a Vegas showgirl. By all accounts her early relationship with her father was not ideal.

“I didn’t really grow up with my dad,” she told Askmen.com. “When my mom was pregnant with me, he was in Aerosmith and didn’t want to have anything to do with it . . . I was really mad at him for leaving.”

At 19, however, she moved to California “not to pursue acting but to get out of Albuquerque,” she told Men’s Health, and her dad offered her a place to stay. There, she started studying to become a surgical assistant, but eventually dropped the pursuit once she landed her career-making turn as the long-suffering Lyla Garrity on “Friday Night Lights” in 2006.

Since then, she’s been linked to a number of Hollywood bachelors, including John Mayer, Donald Faison, Chris Evans and her co-star on NBC Taylor Kitsch.

The romance with Jeter started in LA, an acquaintance of hers tells us. “One of Jeter’s advisers set them up. Jeter saw her at a restaurant in LA, he was having lunch with his agent, noticed her, and that’s how it started.” Apparently, Jeter kept sending her roses until she finally gave in.

Now, “they almost complete each other’s sentences,” one entertainment insider tells The Post. The source has seen both Kelly and Jeter with other partners in the past, and calls this the best match for both. (Of Kelly’s ex Mayer — who reportedly dumped her for Jennifer Aniston — the insider says: “Anyone’s better than John Mayer. He’s just bad news. He’s not a good guy.”)

Concern for who she’s dating is widespread among her close friends, including Zach Gilford, who plays quarterback Matt Saracen on “FNL.” He calls Kelly a good friend whom he likes to act goofy around and go see live music with in Austin, where the show films. He says he was cautious when he first learned from Kelly about Jeter.

“He’s one of the best baseball players in the world,” Gilford says, “and I was like, he better be a nice guy because she’s one of my best friends and I was very protective of her. When I finally got to meet him, I was like, ‘Oh, they’re perfect together.’ ”

What struck him was how in love the two appear. “[Jeter]’s just totally down- to-earth to the point where some people [from ‘Friday Night Lights’] were talking junk because they’re Dodgers fans, and he would just go with it. He didn’t care at all.”

Kelly is apparently just as down-to- earth: “There are celebrities who know how to play the game and do it really well, and Minka is not like that,” our insider tells us. “She doesn’t even read the tabloids anymore.”

Which means she probably missed the controversy reported by The Post last month about “visible coldness” between her and Kate Hudson, girlfriend to Alex Rodriguez, who sits with the Yankee wives and showily smooches A-Rod while Kelly sits alone in Jeter’s private seats. “I don’t know if it’s a personal thing, or just an extension of the ongoing A-Rod/Jeter rivalry,” a source told Page Six of Team Minka versus Team Kate.

If you’re on the Team Minka side, you’ll probably want to know what she told Men’s Health about her dream-man profile: “A man has to be passionate about something . . . And I think a career should be as important for him as it is for me. And that we should be able to understand that we come second.”

Well, she certainly found in Jeter someone who’s dedicated to his career.

In a 2007 LA Times interview about Kelly, “Friday Night Lights” creator and show-runner Peter Berg described her appeal: “Minka is very hard to characterize as being sweet and wholesome or sultry and mildly diabolical. You feel like she can be your friend, but you also feel if you’re not really careful, there’s the tiny, teeny, little chance that she’ll walk off with your boyfriend.”

If there’s one thing everyone agrees upon, however, it’s that Jeter and Kelly appear to be head-over-heels for each other. “She’s really happy,” says the insider. “Just because she’s not all in the media doesn’t mean she’s being obnoxious or mean. She’s just trying to be happy with the man that she seems to want to spend the rest of her life with.”

Waddya think Minka?

NEW York is obsessed with Jeter. We asked fans what they think of his lady. Remember, Minka, they’ve only just met you!

“I’d rather he married me!” - Colleen Dummuyer, 25, Manhattan

“I love the Yankees. I wish them luck, I think she’s beautiful.” - Francesca McElrath, 23, Manhattan

“I had no idea he was dating anybody. I hope it works out; it’s hard in the spotlight.” - Jodi Bailey, 31, Manhattan

“He could do better. I’m not going to lie.” - Alexis Jamieson, 24, Manhattan

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/mink...I9HQbxazf6Vg3SJ

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hunky Derek Jeter, as Bomber fans have rarely seen him, frolics with gorgeous gal pal Minka Kelly in St. Barts.

post-17383-1258692327_thumb.jpg

Derek Jeter and Minka Kelly splash in the water in St. Barts, where the weather is as sunshiny as the Yank captain’s life right now.

post-17383-1258692380_thumb.jpg

“Friday Night Lights” star Minka Kelly shows off her world champion-caliber body as she wades into the surf.

post-17383-1258692425_thumb.jpg

Derek Jeter entertains Minka Kelly while sitting on the dock of their resort in St. Barts.

post-17383-1258692476_thumb.jpg

Jeter and Kelly share a more tender moment as they bob in the water.

post-17383-1258692513_thumb.jpg

Jeter and Kelly take a boat ride as rumors swirl that the sports world’s most eligible bachelor plans marriage.

post-17383-1258692561_thumb.jpg

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/celebrity_...y6M?photo_num=6

Jeter having a beach ball

Bomber, bombshell enjoy double play

It's good to be Derek Jeter.

The star of the world champ Yankees has been spending his post-postseason down time frolicking on the beach with his squeeze, "Friday Night Lights" babe Minka Kelly.

The shortstop and his gorgeous gal pal are staying at a luxury beach house in St. Barts.

A photographer snapped red-hot shots of the super couple yesterday as they swam, dived, snorkeled and played volleyball in the Caribbean paradise.

Kelly, 29, sizzled in a yellow bikini bottom and turquoise top.

post-17383-1258692825_thumb.jpg

AAAAH, LIFE IS GOOD: Derek Jeter and gal pal Minka Kelly splash around yesterday in St. Barts, where the weather is as sunshiny as the Yank captain's life right now.

The buff Jeter, 35, sported fashionable blue and white checkered swimming trunks -- a treat for female Yankee fans who usually see the stud only in pinstripes.

The couple arrived over the weekend, and only a handful of other guests have caught glimpses of them on the beach.

The Yankee captain, a perennial bachelor, seems to be running the bases exclusively with the smoking-hot Kelly.

The two were spotted partying at 1OAK in Chelsea immediately after the Yanks' World Series triumph, and they stood hand in hand in the Bombers' victory parade.

Page Six reported in August that Jeter and Kelly have been coyly telling pals to be prepared for a wedding soon.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international...GjlpYzYlOgue2QM