Bellazon

Miguel Torres
Thumbnail

footballfan#7

"I am happy at the best Club in the world"

Cristina Monge / Translation by Michael J. O'Donnell

Miguel Torres is a great example of what a true Madridista youth system player is. He played in the youth categories for eleven years and has been on the first team for two, winning two league titles. At 22, the defender is still humble and determined to work hard to be successful at the Club.

EURO 2008

How are you spending your holidays?

Rather well. I'm staying in Madrid with my family for the moment and I will go to the beach with my friends in the next few weeks. I am resting quite a bit in order to be strong for the preseason and the new campaign.

The Euro 2008 is on...

Watching the competition is one of my priorities these days. I watch every single game and I am a big Spanish supporter.

What a debut!

It was important to have a confident start in order to prove our worth and show the fans that we have chances of winning this time. Spain is a young, quality team that can win the title with a little luck. Ramos and Casillas could play key roles in the tournament.

The other Real Madrid players in the Euro are also playing very well.

Of course they are, and I would like them to do well because they are my friends and teammates, but I want Spain to win. I think Pepe had a perfect season this year and if he continues playing this well in the Euro he will prove to the rest of the world what we already know here: that he is one of the best centre backs in the world, besides being a great guy. Now, what more can be said about Ruud van Nistelrooy? He is a natural-born goal-scorer and I am happy for his recovery because both Real Madrid and the Netherlands depend on his strikes. Robben is also a fabulous player and I hope he recovers soon in order to thrill everyone. Sneijder has incredible quality and will play a crucial role. I am also very happy for Metzelder because he had a very tough year; playing in the Euro is a reward for his hard work.

Cannavaro's injury is a real shame...

Yes, it is. Fabio is Fabio; an essential player on the pitch both for us and Italy. He is a master and he's helped me much with great advice. His contribution to the squad is very important. I hope he recovers soon and that he rests in order to be in perfect form for us.

PRESENT AND FUTURE

A new season for you at Real Madrid is about to start.

Yes. I am aware of being a player at the best club in the world and I am happy here. This is my home and I will always be ready for the club whenever it needs me.

You've won two league titles in your first two years on the first team. Do you feel important on the squad?

Of course I do. I think part of the success of this team comes from the fact that everyone is important. We all work hard throughout the season in order to help, regardless of how many minutes we play. A team is a whole in which every part counts.

Your versatility in defence gives you many chances.

I've played both as right back and left back for many years now and I am very happy for having developed that way because I feel comfortable in any defensive position. Nevertheless, as I always say, I am continuously learning more and I work hard every day to keep improving.

THE CLUB

You set a great example for the other youth system players.

I am extremely proud of that, but it comes with great responsibility. I am a staunch defender of the youth system because I believe it is the best in the world. Raúl, Guti and Casillas are great examples of that. That's why I believe the Club should rely more on its own stock. I hope next year other Castilla players have the opportunity I was given. I am lucky for having grown as a player here and for managing to stay on the first team.

The dream you've had since you were eight years old finally came true...

That's right. I arrived here in 1995 and I can boast of having played on every team at the Club. My dream came true the first time I played at the Bernabéu. That was the greatest day of my life.

What do the Bernabéu and the crowd mean to you?

Everything. The crowd at the stadium has always supported me and I can't afford to disappoint them. People know I will do my best next year. It was hard getting this far and all I can do now is work hard and dedicate myself to the fans. Madridismo is a great feeling that you must always carry in your heart. The fans know just how much I feel for this crest.

What is your goal?

I feel proud for being on this squad and my short term goal is to win more titles with this team. I hope we win the Champions League next year. I want to make progress with Spain's Under-21 national team, on which I've been a starter.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...