Bellazon

Romy Schneider

Guest lisa1

Probably my favourite actress of the 70's...

Date of birth 23 September 1938 (Vienna, Austria)

Date of death 29 May 1982 (Paris, France).

from IMDB

"

Born in the actors' family, she came to the movies very early starring in the very popular series 'Sissi'. Her mother, who supervised the daughter's career development, immediately approved Romy's participation in 'Christine', the remake of Max Ophuls' 'Liebelei', where Magda Schneider once starred herself. But during the filming of "Christine' young Schneider fell in love with her co-star Alain Delon and eventually moved with him to Paris. Since then she started a real international career collaborating with such famous directors as Luchino Visconti and Orson Welles. In 1964 Delon broke up with her, and being frustrated, she eventually married Harry Mayen. This was a doomed marriage and it rather quickly ended with the divorce. Later she married Daniel Biasini who either was no match for Alain Delon. Being unsatisfied with her personal life, she turned to alcohol and drugs, but her cinematic career remained intact. In 1976 she received Cesar as Best Actress for "L'important c'est d'aimer' and in 1979 she got the same award for "Une'histoire simple'. The sudden death of her son, who was impaled on a fence, was a hard blow to her and she never managed to recover from this loss. Romy Schneider died on May 29, 1982. Some sources said it was a heart attack, some considered it a suicide with an overdose of sleep pills.

"

Thank you for starting the thread - I wanted to do it myself because she definetly had earned it. She was an awesome actress, so beautiful!

I'm truly sorry that in Germany she was always judged by her playing austrian empress Elizabeth (Sissi) and therefore the German audience at her time wanted to see her as the sweet little girl she played there. And I'm so happy that she got the chance to become that great actress in France!

So sorry that she ended that desperate and sad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...