Bellazon

Tomb Raider 2013

Got it pre-ordered :hehe:

I've been a long time fan of the series. The recent games have all been good, but it's been a long time since any of them have been truly 'great'. The Uncharted series has run circles around it really, so it did need another refresh to get itself back on track. I do hope this game impresses - although in all honesty I'm not expecting it to blow anyone away. Time will tell though.. my fingers are crossed.

Seems like every damn game has a bow & arrow these days too :laugh:

Speaking of which, Crysis 3 unlocks tonight :Dinah:

I'm getting a pretty good feeling about this. On balance, I think it's the right time for a reboot, and if they're doing an overhaul of the mechanics then there's really no better example to follow than the 'Uncharted' series. Looking forward to seeing what Rhianna Pratchett (lead writer and daughter of Terry) and the developers have come up with.

Also, Lara can cause MAJOR explosions! :laugh:

Looks promising indeed. If they can nail the narrative and strike a good balance between action, exploration and MGS3-esque survival elements, we could be looking at an early contender for game of the year. :yes:

A few hours in now, and I'm really liking it so far. Combat and climbing/exploration both feel equally good, plus it's a really pretty game. Best of all though, it actually manages to feel quite Tomb Raidery :hehe:

It is rather easy though I have to say. I hope there's going to be some more complex climbing/platforming later in the game, but we'll see..

It is shaping up to be a good origin story, but I'd love to see a more ambitious game using this tech before too long. One with a mature Lara on an adventure much grander in scale.

Voices of reason PC Gamer finally reviewed it:

http://www.pcgamer.com/review/tomb-raider-review/

He gave it a good but not great review. Perhaps a little harsh overall, but I can't really disagree with any of the criticisms.

Anyway, I finished it today.. 100% and all. As much as I liked the combat (despite the AI being pretty ordinary), my favourite parts were all the optional tombs - they really captured the 'Tomb Raider' vibe most (yeah, the parts where you're raiding tombs.. go figure :p). The only problem was that they were all in these bite-size chunks, and aside from those there were only a couple of proper puzzles in the main part of the game. Like I said before, I would so love to see the next game done on a larger scale. I want to see epic environments, and equally epic puzzles. More climbing too. I hope we don't have to wait too long for it :chicken:

• 2 weeks later...