Bellazon

Batman: Arkham

Michael*

• 2 months later...

Anyone sampled 'Harley's Revenge' yet?

I've just finished working my way through it and I think it'll probably prove mildly underwhelming for anyone expecting major storyline development or hints about a possible follow-up game. It was an enjoyable extension of 'Arkham City' though and it'll keep the withdrawal symptoms at bay for a while longer. :laugh:

^Yeah, I played through it too. It was good, but waaaay too short. I expected more for $10.

If they let you free roam with Robin and added some more Riddler trophies it might have been a bit more worthy. Was that your first time playing as him then Michael, or did you end up getting the challenge map DLC packs? What did you think?

^I never actually got around to paying for the extra challenge maps so yeah, it was my first time playing as Robin. It was good fun, and I really liked the staff, the snap blasts and the bullet shield. The stand-alone nature of the game was a slight drawback for me too though, as was the lack of free roaming. I would have loved the chance to alternate between Robin, Batman and Catwoman in the full cityspace, or even just to have flown around the rooftops a little more. Come to think of it, there were only a few ledges high enough for Robin to glide off.

Pricewise, I thought it was relatively reasonable. £6.00 for about three hours of play isn't too bad considering it would usually cost £40+ for a new game that might only last you ten or twelve. Not that I'm really in the habit of paying the full whack for games - I've only ever made the odd exception for real favourites like this one. :)

So, would you recommend those challenge packs then Don?

Depends if you enjoy the challenges or not I suppose :p

I've barely touched the predator challenges, although they're probably more interesting. I just love the combat ones though, so I was happy to pay a few bucks for some extra ones and some new characters to play through them again with. I think I found Robin the hardest to play through with, although strangely I think my biggest combo was with him.. I think it was about 315, give or take. There's just something so satisfying about the dull thud his staff makes :laugh: Nightwing is lots of fun too - he's pretty quick (not quite Catwoman quick, but still..), and his special combo moves are sweet.

If you like the combat challenges then I think the Challenge Map DLC one is great too - it comes with a couple of maps with some variations to the rules. One is just infinite goons (keep going til you die). The other one is a time based mode where you accumulate points by stringing together large combos and progressing through levels. You can either bank the points you get, and reset yourself back to Level 0 or risk going to the higher levels for a greater reward. If you get hit, you go back to Level 0 and your accumulated points are lost. It's the hardest one by far, but is really satisfying when you get the 3 medals for it.. you have to have a near flawless run.

Having sampled all the other characters, my temptation to try out Nightwing is starting to gather pace, though I must say, I'd probably have some slight reservations about paying for the DLC and then having to play through the same combat sequences as before. The challenge maps with the varied rules sound like they might appeal, though. Are they just for Batman or can you use the rest of the gang too?

I think I'll be giving that a try very shortly then. :woot:

The thought did occur when I bought 'Harley's Revenge' that it might let me use Robin in the challenge maps, but as it turns out, you still have to pay for the other DLC pack. Bit of a cheek, if you ask me! :laugh:

• 7 months later...
Warner Bros. confirms third Batman Arkham game for 2013 release

The continuation of Warner Bros.’ Batman Arkham series seems as sure as everyone’s favorite costumed vigilante brooding atop a gargoyle statue in a pose of solitude. In a call to investors (via VG247), the publisher rather offhandedly states that an additional Arkham will swoop in sometime this year.

“And we also have a strong games release this year, which will include the next release in the Batman Arkham franchise,” Warner Bros. CFO John Martin says. “So all in all, we expect Warners to post another very strong year in 2013. And with a little luck, the year should be as good or maybe even a little bit better than 2012.”

Details for Arkham 3 are unknown, but VG247′s “own sources” claims developer Rocksteady isn’t involved. Whispers of a prequel plot taking place during the 1950s-1970s Silver Age era of Batman’s saga were passed around since last summer and hinted of showing Batman’s first encounter with The Joker—who, devoid of comic-book writer Frank Miller’s psychological themes, might revert to his more campy origins. On a more nerdy note (pushes up glasses), the Silver Age marks the first appearance of Arkham City mastermind Ra’s al Ghul, so that could potentially factor into the “first meetings” angle.

Interesting. A game covering the Joker's emergence as Gotham's elite villain could be quite cool, but if Rocksteady are out of the picture then someone's going to have some rather large shoes to fill. :unsure:

For now, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a prequel and a Rocksteady-produced sequel. :laugh:

The previous two games would have probably come out about a couple of years apart, so depending on when in 2013 this actually lands, it could slot into a pretty tight run of releases. Still, I’m more in favour of letting projects gradually build a head of steam than simply churning out a game every year or two. Plus, it doesn't seem like five minutes since I rushed out to buy 'Arkham City' on release day. Scary stuff. :|

^She was a great inclusion, and switching between the two always kept the gameplay fresh.

I really can't imagine what the next game is going to be like, since the usual go-to move is more everything. Arkham City was such a rich game though, with so much crammed into it - from the number and variety of side missions/collectibles to the range of villains/other characters you'd constantly encounter. I don't really know how they'd up the ante - because if they don't it'll just seem like a rehash.. but there comes a point where it's just too overwhelming (as was the case for some people with the Assassin's Creed series).

I feel like they'd need to do something dramatically different with the game for it to have any hope of being as well received - so maybe it's not a bad thing after all if there's a new developer brought in. The trick is to do all that and have it feel like it's still part of the same universe. Whatever they do, I just hope they don't do anything to ruin the combat system, which is absolutely integral to the game. It's kind of mindblowing how refined, fluid and fun it is too, which is all the more apparent when you play other games that mimic it rather lamely (I'm looking at you, The Amazing Spider-Man).

I guess if they wanted to go bigger, the next logical step would be for the game to take place in a sprawling digital rendering of Gotham. Of course, bigger doesn't always equal better but still, I can't help thinking what fun it would be to dive off huge skyscrapers, roam around Wayne Manor and the Batcave or explore areas like The Narrows. :chicken:

They could open up the possibility of bigger side-stories involving Catwoman, Robin or Nightwing, which I’d be really interested to see. I'm also dying to drive the Batmobile at some point, and I love the idea of entering and exiting the Batcave by car (or even by boat). I don't think I'd be on board with having vehicles available in an open-ended capacity, though. In 'Arkham City' virtually every side street, back alley and rooftop had it's own bit of action, be it henchmen to scrap with, riddles to solve or side-stories, and I strongly suspect that you’d neglect a lot of that stuff if you could simply hop in the Batmobile. Either that or you'd get too caught up in exploring on foot and forget to use it.

• 1 month later...

post-19363-0-1446063658-40108_thumb.gif

Batman: Arkham Origins announced, with a new developer in the Batcave

post-19363-0-1446063658-49265_thumb.jpg

A new Batman game has been announced, via the circuitous route of a GameInformer cover. It’s called Batman: Arkham Origins, and is being developed by Warner Bros. Games Montreal, who… wait a second, what’s happened to Rocksteady? Does their disappearance have something to do with released image of infamous mercenary Deathstroke? Well, someone had better call the Commissioner. It looks like we’ve got a bat to signal.

cov_241_l.jpg

“As the title suggests, the game takes place years before both of the previous Arkham titles when a young, unrefined Batman encounters many supervillains for the first time,” write Game Informer. Is he encountering them in Arkham? We don’t actually know, but I’d argue that it would be the more obvious reading of a game called “Arkham Origins”.

The new developers, who were previously in charge of the Arkham City Wii U port, will be using Rocksteady’s custom modified Unreal engine. So at the very least it should look, and hopefully play, like the Arkham series we’ve come to know and punch people with. It’s being headed by Eric Holmes, who was the lead designer on open-world slice-em-up Prototype.

Batman: Arkham Origins is due out October 25th.

This is starting to look fairly promising, though of course, only time will tell if it can live up to the standard set by its predecessors. The rumoured 'silver age' direction was my biggest reservation, so it's quite the relief to see imagery and screenshots that still retain the 'Arkham' feel. Paul Dini not being involved could still be a pretty big drawback, but I'm feeling a bit better about Rocksteady's absence - they've already laid such fantastic foundations that any new developer would have to be stark raving mad to try and turn the game upside down now.

Black Mask looks pretty darn impressive too...

batman2k.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A photo of one of those promotional cut-outs they display in shops has started doing the rounds, and it appears to suggest that the Joker may be a part of 'Origins'. I'm slightly skeptical, but once again, time will tell. :unsure:

post-20523-0-1446063659-82205_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...