Bellazon

Josie Maran

Article from the new Glamour:

Josie, American Beauty

It's Josie's eighth time on the Glamour's cover - and she's only 26. But this gorgeous California girl, seen in the new movie The Aviator, is wonderfully down-to-earth.

On a sunny afternoon in L.A., Josie Maran struts her stuff at Glamour's photo shoot; she looks over her shoulder, tosses her chocolate-brown hair and flashes a smile so dazzling you can't help but wonder what she did in a former life to be granted such abundant beauty (saint, perhaps?). But Maran is more than just the winner of the Looks Lottery. With roles in Van Helsing, Little Black Book, and this month's The Aviator, she's managed to make the tricky model-to-actress leap, well, beautifully. Discovered at the age of 12 at a barbeque, Maran has since done runway shows (and she's only 5'6" - shrimpy in model terms), graced billboards and snagged a coveted beauty contract with Maybelline New York, proving once and for all, that she's much more than just another pretty face.

When you see yourself on the cover of a magazine, do you feel that glammed up woman is "you"?

No, not at all. I have a good heart and I hope that comes through in a picture, but looks are just the result of genetics. I'm very unglamourous: Usually I'll just curl my lashes and put on mascara. Of course, I'm not a fan of makeup until I see myself in a picture without it! Then I think, oh, maybe just a little bit.

What's it like seeing your face on a humongous billboard?

It's really exciting! When I was doing the Guess campaign I remember standing on the side of Santa Monica Boulevard, taking pictures in front of it. The billboard was so huge I had to jump up and wave my arms above my head just to get into the picture with it.

Who do you think is the world's most beautiful woman?

I'd have to say my mother. We have the same features, but she's pale, with tons of freckles everywhere. I also think Christy Turlington is really beautiful: I used to live near her neighborhood in New York, and I'd follow her around and spy on her.

You had a ruptured appendix at age 12. Has having a scar changed your ideas about beauty?

Walking around on the beach in a bikini, I used to want to cover it up. I could tell people were staring at me, wondering what went wrong, and it always made me feel self-conscious. Now I think scars are beautiful - like a souvenir - but it took me a long time to get to that point.

What's a beauty secret you learned from your mother?

Smile with your eyes. I try to think of something happy, like me standing under a waterfall in Hawaii.

If you had to go the rest of your life without getting mani-pedis, highlights or waxing, which could you live without?

Manicures and pedicures, definitely. I've been getting them on jobs for so long they feel like a chore. Friends will say, "Let's get our nails done." And I'll say, "That sounds like work." Plus, I always ruin my polish right after I leave the salon!

What beauty treatments would you have men try?

Wax your crotch, boys - then talk to me!

Are the guys you date traditionally gorgeous?

Not necessarily, but they all have kind of a "look", which is similar to the way my father looks. Whenever I start dating someone new, my dad will say, "Let me guess: nose? Dark skin?" And I'll say, "Uh-huh."

How do you feel about the idea of aging naturally?

I'm totally into it, but as I get older I'll have to adjust to wrinkles just like I had to adjust to having a scar. I think you can always tell when someone has had work done, because something seems off. But it's still a challenge to say, "It's natural; it's beautiful."

You seem so happy. What keeps you grounded?

I have a kind of inner peace, which comes from having had so much love as a child. It has nothing to do with money or anything else - I honestly feel that if everything was taken away from me tomorrow, I could go sit on a rock in Bali, looking at the ocean for the rest of my life. And I would be totally happy.

???

Maybe I'm being stupid.  But weren't there SI & General Swimwear threads on chilax?  What happened to them?

They are still there. They disappear from view, due to lack of activity. Go into Josie's section, and scroll to the bottom of the page. You'll be able to "Show Topics" by searching for "Topics in the last 60 or 90 days". ;)