Bellazon

Jose Antonio Reyes
Thumbnail

Aga

REYES HOPING FOR ROBBEN LINK-UP AT MADRID

Jose Antonio Reyes is confident there is room for both him and Arjen Robben at Real Madrid next season.

Reyes is keen to secure a permanent switch to Madrid having spent last season on loan at the Bernabeu from Arsenal.

However, Madrid are being closely linked with a move for Chelsea wideman Robben - who plays a similar role to Reyes - and it could be that only one of the two wingers will be drafted in this summer.

Reyes, though, is adamant that they would be able to play in the same team.

"He (Robben) is a great player. I have played against him on various occasions in England," said Reyes.

"He has a lot of speed, and seems almost impossible to stop when he is in full flow. He also has a good left foot.

"I do not want to say that the two of us are not compatible. I have already shown that I can also be dangerous on the right."

Although his two goals against Real Mallorca on the final day of the season proved crucial in helping Madrid win their first Primera Liga title since 2003, Reyes' did not have the best of campaigns and often struggled to tie down a first-team berth.

However, the 23-year-old former Sevilla man is keen to return to the club and show what he can really do next season.

"Madrid are building a great team and I want to be part of it," he said in Spanish newspaper AS.

"There remain things that I want to show at Madrid. I am a better player than they have seen.

"I am very relaxed (about the future). I am trying to rest. I know what is happening through my representatives. I cannot do anything other than wait."

• 2 weeks later...

Madrid And Arsenal Strike Reyes Deal - Report

Reports coming out of Spain suggest that Real Madrid have agreed a 9.2 million euro deal with Arsenal over the transfer of Jose Antonio Reyes.

The money exchanging hands does come as a surprise, though, given earlier reports that Arsenal have been demanding at least 15 million euros for the player, but the Marca insist this morning that the deal has been struck.

Schuster had indicated immediately after taking charge that he would like Reyes to stay, but Madrid have been struggling to agree a price with the Gunners despite having dished out 30 million for Pepe.

It appears, though, that Arsenal have been the ones to succumb, and have lowered their demands after Lyon withdrew from the race to sign the winger.

The deal is supposed to be completed on Monday or Tuesday, once the last remaining creases are ironed out. The player will sign a four year contract.

The news has not been confirmed yet, but it was reported yesterday that Arsenal had given Reyes a final 48 hours to sort his future out, or prepare to return to London against his wishes.

If true, it is a piece of news that will be welcomed by many Real Madrid fans, and by the player, who played a title winning role in the final La Liga clash last season, heralding a 3-1 comeback win.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...