Bellazon

Iker Casillas
Thumbnail

Rani_7

Casillas press conference

"I'm not worried about conceding five goals as long as we score six, but we have to be careful"

Iker Casillas, a heavyweight on the squad, was the last player to give a press conference this season. The keeper highlighted the excitement of all Madridismo with the possibility of winning the League title on Sunday by defeating Mallorca.

How's the team focusing on the last 'final'?

The same as in previous weeks. We are excited about playing on Sunday because the outcome of the League will be decided. Let's hope we do well.

Are you worried about conceding too many goals in the final, the most decisive game of them all?

Every game has been decisive. Some of them were easier than others to win. I won't mind conceding five goals as long as we score six. We just want to win. Everyone thinks we have already won the title, but we know we still have to defeat Mallorca.

Do you feel pressure?

No, we've been working as usual. We knew we had to in order to avoid strange things happening on Sunday and because it has allowed us to do well so far. We can't afford to think Mallorca won't put up a fight simply because they have nothing to play for... Look at what Espanyol did... We have to be careful so as to not end up like Barcelona.

Mallorca want to end your title hopes.

They have nothing to lose. The funny thing is that Tamudo is now a star thanks to the goals he scored with Espanyol last weekend against Barcelona, but we've known he's a quality player for ten years. Mallorca will look to make the same impression on people. They know they will go down in history if they burst our bubble, like Tenerife did against us many years ago.

Maxi López will be very motivated.

Of course. He is on loan from Barcelona and would like both his former team and Mallorca to benefit. But we have the greatest incentive to win: the League. It's very hard to fight against us. We have a golden oportunity to win and we will put up a good fight.

So anything goes?

I wouldn't mind them having 500 chances and us, missing several, and us winning by a penalty in the end... I don't think we played badly against Zatagoza. Their keeper, César, did very well. They had three chances and scored two goals. We had way more chances than them.

Will Diarra and Robinho be able to play?

I only know about Diarra's situation from what I've read in the press. He is very important for us because his character brings us together. Robinho is still here with us and I guess he will be able to play. Everyone is important because we've all helped the team in our own way. That's why the coach counts on all of us. It's normal for him to want us all to be here. He will be able to come up with the lineup he considers to be best because injuries, suspensions and the absence of international players change his plans quite a bit. I will be happy if they play, although I really hope Diarra's fears concerning his family being hurt if he doesn't play amount to nothing in the end.

It will be Roberto Carlos' and Beckham's last game as Real Madrid players...

That's life, but we're not thinking about next year yet, only about the fact that this year's squad may win the League on Sunday. I will be sad when they leave. One never truly believes the day will come. Roberto Carlos has made us all happy, both players and fans. One day it will be me. We should pay tribute to them on Sunday for all they've done for this Club.

Will Capello be affected on Sunday by the fact that he still doesn't know what his future has in store?

I can't possibly know what he's thinking, but he is a true professional. Football is his life and he wants to achieve his goal of winning the League. We'll see what happens later.

If you win, will it be the end of Barcelona's reign?

Maybe, but it would mean that we have already taken the first step in building a different team for the next few seasons. Barcelona's situation was similar a few years ago. They suffered to win the League and had problems in the Champions League and the King's Cup, but by winning the League they ended with our glorious run and started their own. Nevertheless, let's not get too ahead of ourselves.

Have you been the best team in the League this season?

We will have been if we win the title. The winner is always the best team, the most regular side. We've had some bad moments, but being eliminated from the Champions League was a wake up call that allowed us to improve, and it gave us the chance of winning the title.

Has it been a strange championship?

No, it's been the most beautiful League I've taken part in. Last year Barcelona won by many points and people were only excited to see who would make it to the Champions League this year. Two years ago we fought with them for the title and they won in the end. Three years ago, the same thing happened, this time with Valencia. But this year three of us could win on the last day. That's very exciting.

Can the title make you forget about your weak spots this year?

The possibility of winning is so exciting that you even forget about the dreadful last three years. People got used to us winning, but, if we win on Sunday, they will celebrate as if it was our tenth European Cup because it will be our first title in three years.

A few months ago no one thought you had chance of winning...

We should be proud of what we've done. No one believed we could do it... Even I had my doubts. Our drive and courage helped us take the leadership. People laughed at us when we asked the fans to give us all their support, but it worked. Football changes constantly. All Madridistas should be proud with what their team has done, but not winning on Sunday will revive all their doubts.

How would you assess the team's performances this year?

We haven't played too well this year. We haven't dominated throughout a single game and we've suffered considerably, but it's normal to have problems like these until the team becomes united. I think we've played very well in the final stretch of the season, although we've screwed up at times in supposedly excellent games, such as the one against Espanyol, in which we played very badly in the first half.

The President was heavily criticised for celebrating the draw against Zaragoza on the turf of La Romareda.

I don't see why. There was a lot of tension that day and he celebrated an important draw. He went down to thank the 3,000 fans that had traveled to Zaragoza for their support. Any small thing is criticised when it concerns this Club, but I've seen people in the Barcelona Presidential Balcony behave rudely on occasion.

They say Dudek may sign on next season.

It would be a pleasure to have such a good keeper on the squad. We will work hard together if he comes.

Has the fans' support been essential these past few games?

Our fans are very demanding and it hurts us when they boo at us, but we praise the support they give us.

Apparently Atletico fans will go to Neptuno Fountain if you lose the League...

I hope they go there to celebrate qualifying for next season's UEFA Cup. I hope they make it.

What do you think of what Ruud van Nistelrooy has brought to the team this season?

He's been decisive. He's been the best in attack and has helped the team soar with his goals. He is amazing.

Real Madrid vs Real Mallorca

GOALKEEPERS: Casillas, Diego López

DEFENDERS: Ramos, Cicinho, Cannavaro, Marcelo, Roberto Carlos, Pavón and Salgado.

MIDFIELDERS: Guti, Gago, Diarra, Robinho, Beckham, Emerson and Reyes.

FORWARDS: Raúl, Higuaín and Van Nistelrooy.