Bellazon

Linda Evangelista
Thumbnail

dcrim

Supermodel Linda Evangelista, new guest judge on Australia’s Next Top Model, is turning 50

I had a plan B,” she said. “I was going to go to school.

“My parents said, ‘Let’s do this for a year, and we will support you. If it doesn’t work out, then it’s back to school’.

“But I am one that believes you should always go for your dream.

“Modelling, like acting, like sports and the arts, is a real long shot.”

The career certainly did work out for her.

During the 1990s Evangelista — along with Australian Elle Macpherson, Naomi Campbell, Claudia Schiffer and Christy Turlington — were world famous and everyone knew them by their first name.

t was the birth of the Supermodel — big dollar contracts, glamorous parties, famous friends and the jetset life.

Evangelista says she picks and chooses her jobs now, and admits the industry has changed, sometimes for the worse.

“It’s so different,’’ she said. “Digital cameras are the biggest change.

“Back in the day, the make up artists and the team behind everything had to be really precise and the photographer had to get the lights right because they didn’t retouch.

“What you saw is what you got. Now it’s disappointing.

“I believe now the art of photography fashion lies in post-production.”

The other big change has been social media.

Every model now has to have thousands of Instagram followers, it’s like a moving portfolio.

The supermodel says she has been slow to get on board.

“I finally joined Instagram this week,’’ she said. “I didn’t get it at first, but then I got very excited for a day or two.

“Then I told my agent that I didn’t look at it for 24 hours.

“I think I’m over it already.”

Evangelista’s role on Australia’s Next Top Model as a guest judge was her first on such a show.

She admitted she was nervous, but enjoyed it and immersed herself in the role.

“It’s sort of a new adventure for me,’’ she said.

“I’ve never done anything like this. I was anxious and nervous, and also very emotional for the girls.

“I was so drained, there were tears and happy emotions.”

All these years later Evangelista said she was enjoying the job just as much as when she was the name of everyone’s lips.

“I think it’s more fun,’’ she said.

“I’m not so worn out. I’m not running around chasing after whatever, like I used to.

“I don’t leave my son (eight-year-old Augustin) at home for very long, so my trips aren’t very long.

“They are very doable.”

heraldsun.com.au

^Thanks for the articles. :wave:

Linda's beauty icons: Katharine Hepburn, Ava Gardner, Audrey Hepburn, and Grace Kelly

"I've always looked to the actresses of the '50s and '60s: Katharine Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn, and Ava Gardner. I never saw paparazzi pictures of them, so whenever they were photographed, they were presentable, chic, glamorous, and groomed. They looked like they put effort into it, and that's what I look up to."

post-36986-0-67812800-1415145888_thumb.j

source

^Thanks for the articles. :wave:

Linda's beauty icons: Katharine Hepburn, Ava Gardner, Audrey Hepburn, and Grace Kelly

"I've always looked to the actresses of the '50s and '60s: Katharine Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn, and Ava Gardner. I never saw paparazzi pictures of them, so whenever they were photographed, they were presentable, chic, glamorous, and groomed. They looked like they put effort into it, and that's what I look up to."

attachicon.gifLinda-Evangelista-Beauty-Tips-Skincare-Foundation_10.jpg

source

You're welcome Spiral ;)

pic from 1993, with Christy

post-21972-0-47991400-1415191893_thumb.j

Thanks guys for all the pics. :wave:

Dressing up with Linda Evangelista
The model on the supers and working with Vogue

I keep in touch with Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell, Christy Turlington and the other supers. They’re my girls. When we weren’t shooting, we did what regular people do: go out to eat or for a drink, or we’d just pile up in one person’s hotel-room bed so we weren’t alone.

Karl Lagerfeld seemed like a god when I first met him in 1985. I was so intimidated. No one is better at telling you what you want to hear, but he’s also an exceptional listener.

Working with Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana takes me straight back to my Italian roots. Even though I grew up in Canada, I always felt Italian: my grandparents spoke Italian, we ate Italian food, we said Italian Mass and we shopped in the Italian supermarket.

Gianni Versace was so passionate and enthusiastic. We looked so sexy for his A/W 1991 catwalk show. It might have been the lighting, or because it was at night, but everything just felt more pumped up.

I cried my head off when the photographer Peter Lindbergh talked me into cutting my hair short for a Vogue shoot in Greece in 1989. I was confirmed for 20 shows in Milan the week after and 16 cancelled.

At Catholic school in Canada I wore white cowboy boots with fringing and a metallic headband with my uniform because I never wanted to look like anyone else.

I’m crafty at so many things — I can needlepoint, crochet, knit and macramé — but the one thing I can’t do is sew. I wish I could, it would have helped me transform my school uniform.

My mother Marisa used to sew fabulous outfits for me. My favourite was a white vest with a white skirt, which was quite Mod, and which I wore with a matching red blouse and go-go boots.

Charlie’s Angels were so hot when I was growing up. I used to try to do my hair like theirs, but it always ended up looking like sausage rolls.

Music helps when you’re on the runway. I used to love Prince, Joan Jett and all that rock stuff.

I’ve done so many Vogue anniversary covers I can’t remember them all, but the US Vogue 100th was pretty special, with the ten of us supers all together in white on a ladder.

The Correspondents’ Dinner at the White House this year was a great party. I wore an Yves Saint Laurent vintage feather jacket from the 1970s, but I didn’t get near President Obama — I needed binoculars to see him.

source